Australian Football Thread

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I went to the Pheonix game at Eden Park yesterday, it was probably the first game of professional soccer I've ever been to. Back in the day I went to quite a few of the local amature games though.

Tbh I thought the crowd and the "Yellow Fever" would be slightly more involved in the game, but it was still a pretty decent experience. Even though I only live a few streets away, I can't say I'd really make an effort to go along regularly if they played up here more often, live soccer just doesn't really do it for me, especially when the ref's as bad as the one that was reffing the game yesterday. I don't think he quite understood the concept of someone falling over, because everytime one of the Adelaide guys fell over he blew a foul, even if it was a blatant dive.

The Pheonix really have to start picking up some wins though, especially at home (even though the game yesterday was a home away from home), otherwise they could be stuck near the bottom for the rest of the season.

6ry4nj

International Coach
I can't say I'd really make an effort to go along regularly if they played up here more often, live soccer just doesn't really do it for me, especially when the ref's as bad as the one that was reffing the game yesterday.

But don't you find abusing the ref more fulfilling when he can actually hear you? :p

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Well tbh I probably wouldn't be watching the game live if I wasn't at it, and from just watching the highlights/goals you can't normally gauge how good/bad a ref is. But yes you're right though, it makes more sense to shout crap at a ref at the game, compared to shouting it at your TV.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Tbh if he plays against the Phoenix I may just feel obliged to go down to Wellington and watch him play.

Coming from a guy who has no idea about A-League football and has no interest in it. Certainly great for getting interest in the league, I can see why he chose Syndey over Liverpool.

Mad Snake

International Coach
I can see why he chose Syndey over Liverpool.

Ha. Interest wasn't even shown by Liverpool, that was just Del Piero's people saying that.

Star player though, the best signing footballing wise in the A-League's history imo. Will certainly put bums on seats. For the A-League I hope he does well but as a Sydney player I hope hes a flop :p

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Great start to the season by the Phoenix last night, against Del Piero's Sydney. Although he didn't really get that many opportunities, Del Piero was outplayed by some no name Wellington players. :p

They looked really good going forward, which is normally where they've struggled in the past. When you consider that Ifill didn't really do much coming of the bench, if you can get him in form along with that Belgium striker and the likes of Brockie, then the goals should come.

Apparently next week the Phoenix have to play with eight players away on Oceania World Cup qualifying duty...

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
What?! Don't they have a domestic break here while the players are out on International duty, as in Europe?

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
There wouldn't be much point you'd think. The only ones on international duty will be Australian and New Zealand players, which is maybe 20 players from all the teams (when you take into account guys like Winston Reid, Ryan Nelsen, Tim Cahill, Mark Schwarzer, etc don't play in the A-League). Hardly worth taking a break for.

I myself can't watch the A-League, just too boring for me. I don't know any of the players too.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
I myself can't watch the A-League, just too boring for me. I don't know any of the players too.

The match last night was actually quite entertaining, and that's coming from someone who normally finds Football boring. I only watch Wellington's matches every now and then, but I thought I'd tune in last night because it was their season opener, and I hate the Wellington Rugby team so I didn't really want to watch them play (which was the Rugby game that was on at the same time).

I can't say that I've ever watched an EPL game in full that I can remember, just because I'd rather keep my sleep pattern intact, and I guess it just doesn't have that local factor in it. In saying that I probably follow it a bit closer than the A-League. I couldn't careless about any other domestic competitions around the world.

----------

What?! Don't they have a domestic break here while the players are out on International duty, as in Europe?

In case you didn't know the Wellington Phoenix and the All Whites have the same coach as well.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
I'm guessing you don't have My Sky then:p. I can still watch the EPL matches while keeping my sleeping pattern in tact. I just choose not to, I stay up till 5 am to watch matches. A-League on the other hand, I wouldn't watch if I was sitting down to watch TV and it was the only thing on.

A-League is just not on the same level as top European football I feel. Same with MLS (though I'll watch the Red Bulls because of Henry) and some smaller European leagues. The excitement and passion in European football is on another level. Everyone here alone passionately supports their EPL clubs, and a lot of us haven't even seen our clubs playing live. I'm sure people in Wellington don't really even care as much as the people here. Certainly no-one I know in Auckland has any interest in A-League. It's just the passion and quality that makes EPL so exciting, and A-League can't match that.

Anyway, fair enough reason to watch the A-League last night then, I can imagine Wellington rugby is bloody boring:p.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
I'm guessing you don't have My Sky then:p. I can still watch the EPL matches while keeping my sleeping pattern in tact. I just choose not to, I stay up till 5 am to watch matches. A-League on the other hand, I wouldn't watch if I was sitting down to watch TV and it was the only thing on.

Haha, nope, Sky including the sport channels already cost like $70ish a month.

A-League is just not on the same level as top European football I feel. Same with MLS (though I'll watch the Red Bulls because of Henry) and some smaller European leagues. The excitement and passion in European football is on another level. Everyone here alone passionately supports their EPL clubs, and a lot of us haven't even seen our clubs playing live. I'm sure people in Wellington don't really even care as much as the people here. Certainly no-one I know in Auckland has any interest in A-League. It's just the passion and quality that makes EPL so exciting, and A-League can't match that.

Worse Football can be more entertaining though. Like for me it doesn't really have that much entertainment appeal, and is all I really care about is watching the goals and chances. Is what some of the top teams do is just pass the ball around the back for five minutes until they can find an opening though, which I don't find entertaining at all while there's passing it around, hence I'd prefer to watch something like the A-League where there's a more attack minded intent. I'm sure they'd be more nil all draws and stuff at the higher level, because of the better defenses etc.

Obviously if you've got a passion for the EPL then that's fair enough. I support Liverpool, but not really with much passion or anything, like similar to Wellington I wouldn't go out of my way to watch them, and therefore I never end up watching them.

Also in Rugby I prefer the ITM Cup to Super Rugby, even though it is a worse quality, but it's more entertaining and it's got a much more local identity.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
The greed and cynicism in European football is on another level.

fixed this for you.

I would say stick with rugby CG, football in europe is pretty awful, the best players all play for like 4 or 5 clubs and the next tier of good players after that sit on their subs bench. international football is probably the most interesting these days.

Last edited:

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah, like I said above I only follow the EPL, I don't even look at the scores of any other European leagues let alone watch them.

It'll be interesting to see how the Phoenix B go tomorrow against Melbourne with all of those players away on international duty.

Users who are viewing this thread