Better Processor

Karachi Xpress

Chairman of Selectors
My friends was looking for a new Desktop computer and was confused between Intel and AMD. The computer that he is looking for has AMD Athlon 64x2 6000+ Processor.

This one is what he is looking to get:
iBuypower Gamer 515-GZ2 AMD Gaming Computer - Athlon X2 6000+ Dual Core, 4GB DDR2-800, 500GB, NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT 512MB, DVDRW, DVD-ROM, Gigabit, 580W, Vista Home Premium (64-bit) at TigerDirect.com

I read somewhere that the processor I mentioned above is the latest by AMD and faster than the best Intel processor.

I would just like to know what actually is the better processor.

And also which of the two is better, the one above or this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4375467&Sku=SYX-1005

Last edited:

Abhas

Retired Administrator
I'm not too sure about AMD Processors, but the 2nd link has a Dual core (Not C2D) processor, which is almost 2 generations old now :p
If the AMD processor is indeed the best by AMD, it will be better than E2220.
Looking at the specs, it looks like a simple case of 3 ghz > 2.4 ghz. There are certain latencies involved, in which from what I've known, Intel processors generally fare better than AMD, but the speed difference here is substantial.

Apart from this, there is a difference in the graphics card as well, but I'm clueless about them, so better to ask someone else as well.

If these are the only 2 choices you are looking at, certainly I'd advise go for the 1st one. :)

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
KX, my answer depends on whether you want a comparison between the 2 or general information. I'd first assume the former.

See, first up the AMD 6000+ isn't the fastest by AMD anymore, there are quite a lot more out there. Secondly, although in this case as Abhas said 3Ghz > 2.4 Ghz applies, but if your friend can overclock then the E2220 can beat the AMD one hands down, when you run the E2220 at 3Ghz too(Piece of cake if their motherboard allows it).

Also, this line,
KX said:
I read somewhere that the processor I mentioned above is the latest by AMD and faster than the best Intel processor.
Is totally wrong. First up, 6000+ isn't the latest. :p Secondly even its latest (Phenom II) isn't better than Intel's third best (Core i7 920) although yeah its much cheaper, so it doesn't compare. But saying its better than "Intel's best" is wrong. :)

Graphics card next. The first one has the 9600GT, second one has 9500GT. Although the numbers speak for themselves, the performance difference between the 9600GT and the 9500GT are huge, so if its going in a gaming PC I see no point going for the 9500GT. Go for the 9600GT ofcourse.

An overall choice? In the comparison I'd say the first one. :)

Karachi Xpress

Chairman of Selectors
To Be Honest, I have no clue what you guys are talking about:p So since you both say the 1st one, Ill just ask him to get it.

Thanks for the help guys:D

Users who are viewing this thread