Help with getting a new computer

borncricketer

Panel of Selectors<br><a href="http://www.planetcr
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hey guys.. The current computer I have is becoming really old now and I am thinking of getting a new one now.. also I was thinking of building my own computer.. so just needed some help with what needs to be bought.

TigerDirect, a store in Canada, is selling a kit which includes the following..

XFX GeForce 8200 Motherboard

AMD A64 X2 5000+ 2.60GHz Black Edition Retail

Crucial 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory

XFX GeForce 8500 GT USC 512MB PCIe

Power Up ATX Mid-Tower Case

Ultra LS600 Lifetime Series 600W Power Supply

Crucial 1024MB PC5400 DDR2

Here is the link to it.. http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3978475&sku=P450-9120 B

So I was thinking that I will need a Hard Drive, DVD burner, Keyboard n Mouse, and a Cooling Fan... anything else i would need to add?

Also it says that This Processor is sold without a Heatsink or Fan. So does that mean that i would need a Heatsink and a Fan for the processor as well as a cooling fan for the Computer itself?

Looking forward to all your help..

BC

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
This computer is way to old atm to purchase anyways, for one you definitely shouldn't go for anything less than a Core 2 Duo, secondly nothing less than a 9600GT or 3870 for the Graphics. :)

Last edited:

Sureshot

Executive member
Hey guys.. The current computer I have is becoming really old now and I am thinking of getting a new one now.. also I was thinking of building my own computer.. so just needed some help with what needs to be bought.

TigerDirect, a store in Canada, is selling a kit which includes the following..

XFX GeForce 8200 Motherboard

AMD A64 X2 5000+ 2.60GHz Black Edition Retail

Crucial 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory

XFX GeForce 8500 GT USC 512MB PCIe

Power Up ATX Mid-Tower Case

Ultra LS600 Lifetime Series 600W Power Supply

Crucial 1024MB PC5400 DDR2

Here is the link to it.. http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3978475&sku=P450-9120 B

So I was thinking that I will need a Hard Drive, DVD burner, Keyboard n Mouse, and a Cooling Fan... anything else i would need to add?

Also it says that This Processor is sold without a Heatsink or Fan. So does that mean that i would need a Heatsink and a Fan for the processor as well as a cooling fan for the Computer itself?

Looking forward to all your help..

BC

Do you mean a cooling fan for the power supply unit? Yes, the processor will need heat sink and fan. They shouldn't be difficult to purchase or fit. Loads of guides on how to build a computer on the web. As kshitiz has said, go for Dual core. Quad core would be even better, but then of course you pay for that privilege.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
If its a gaming machine, I would emphasise again, go for an Intel based Core 2 duo or at the very least the E2200. 2 GB of RAM would be sufficient, but the GPU is what heavily needs to be changed. Get a 9600GT or a 4850 at the very least. :)

borncricketer

Panel of Selectors<br><a href="http://www.planetcr
ok sounds good.. i had just gone on a vacation... so didnt get to check this.. i will look to in soon.

thanks for all the help

gullkhan0

Club Cricketer
Hey guys please suggest what should I buy first
But first I had 768 MB DDR1 RAM , Intel 2.6 GHZ , 80 GB Hard disk
What should I buy first
1GB RAM OR Intel Core 2 duo

Amiya

Panel of Selectors
3 month ago, i changed my pentium 4 to core2duo along with Corsair 512mb ram, 80gb sata harddisk, sony dvd writter, intex optical mouse in almost 15k indian ruppes...

Abhas

Retired Administrator
Hey guys please suggest what should I buy first
But first I had 768 MB DDR1 RAM , Intel 2.6 GHZ , 80 GB Hard disk
What should I buy first
1GB RAM OR Intel Core 2 duo

DDR1 is way too old, and would be more expensive as well.
It would be better if you change your motherboard, so that you get DDR2 support. This is the current standard, and you should expect DDR1 to go out of business as soon as DDR3 becomes common.

I would say, if you are planning to upgrade in installments, go in for the processor. 768 mb RAM is okay for the moment.
Later on, you can change your motherboard and your RAM.

Users who are viewing this thread