Big Bash League

Who has the lamest name?

• Total voters

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hardly. He spins them as well, and his variations in pace are pretty unrecognisable. Not many other leggies in the world can do that.

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
New Australian IPL Style Competition

Can't believe there wasn't a thread already on this.

Here's the link to a full story, but basically Indian investors want to buy out domestic sides and create a new 20/20 IPL syle tournaments which will start for the 2011-12 season and will run for five weeks. Apparently no more one Day games will be happening, but hopefully it's just a misprint or they're gonna cut some games.

Quick facts about the new tournament from foxsports.com.au

• Australia's version of IPL will have eight teams
  • Two Sydney, two Melbourne, one Brisbane, one Perth, one Adelaide, one Hobart
  • Teams play each other twice before finals series
  • Tournament will be played over five weeks and will replace one-day games
  • Matches to be televised on Fox Sports and Nine and sold to India and other overseas networks
  • Starts January 2012 at all major city cricket grounds and possibly major regional areas
  • Gaps will be left in Australia's Test calendar to ensure all superstars will be available
  • Huge money will be offered by franchise owners to attract overseas stars
  • Sponsors will be offered naming rights of teams
  • Franchises will initially operate under a salary cap of between $2 million and $2.6 million

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I posted a link to a different article on the same thing the other day. I hope it doesn't eventuate in the end, we don't want the Indians taking over cricket everywhere

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
EF THIS.

The Big Bash is fine, they are just money hungry.

Tournament will be played over five weeks and will replace one-day games

The number 1 ranked team is going to kill one day cricket.:facepalm

harrisb

International Coach
Biggy, you should've got some kind of copyright done on your idea, you could be very rich if these Indians would've brought the idea off you. :p

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Two Sydney, two Melbourne, one Brisbane, one Perth, one Adelaide, one Hobart
I hope two Melbourne doesn't end up like the A-league and they pick either a major suburb or a certain large regional centre to be the second team. Good to see Hobart involved - at least Cricket doesn't ignore Tassie like the AFL does.

Those minor positives aside - what a monumentally stupid idea. 50 over cricket still has a place - even if CA want to deliberately destroy it like they have done with the new rules for it.

The franchise system could have been good, if they replaced the state sides at all levels, allowing a better mix of players in the teams. But by having it just be the T20 comp, and then sacrificing the 50 over game for it, there's no winners here.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Hated the idea when it first came up, now it looks even worse. Just doesn't make sense to have say Brad Hodge playing for Sydney. Also don't get why they would scrap the one day comp, apart from the fact they worked so hard with the 45 over format, we also need to pick players for the national ODI side based on their OD form not on T20 or Test cricket which is quite a jump. See Tim Paine who isn't as effective in OD cricket but kills it in T20 and Test.

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
hope two Melbourne doesn't end up like the A-league and they pick either a major suburb or a certain large regional centre to be the second team. Good to see Hobart involved - at least Cricket doesn't ignore Tassie like the AFL does

If Tassie wasn't involved I'm sure there would have been World War 3 down here. I'm sure there is up north ATM as the team will be called 'Hobart' not 'Tasmania'.

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
The only positive would be getting rid of the Ryobi Cup, but that is still better than having no OD Cricket at all.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
It sounds ridiculous. I really find it hard to believe that Cricket Australia would buy into this scheme. It just proves what a virus money is to the game.

England have tried to replicate their own version of the IPL with the "new and improved" structure. I wouldn't be surprised if they took it a step further and had a franchise system and screw up the entire FC season. :facepalm

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
the novelty effect of a "premier league" has ran out for me. This is just plain stupid, cannot believe cricket australia are even considering this. although the way the IPL is shaping up to be a disaster, its understandable why these Indian investors are trying to set up a premier league somewhere else... of course it will never be as popular as the original IPL.

Users who are viewing this thread