Story [BLIC2007] Asia Cup

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
The inaugural Asia Cup has been full of surprises with Pakistan being the first team to be eliminated from it and India being eliminated from it on the final round of group stage matches leaving Bangladesh and Sri Lanka to play against each other in the final at Mumbai. Journalist Lee Payne interviewed fans in Mumbai.

Lee Payne: Was it a surprise for you when your team qualified for the final of the Asia Cup?

Bangladesh Fan: Yes. I admit Bangladesh are not as good as India, Pakistan or Sri Lanka, but they have good team spirit and they showed that against Pakistan in their final group stage match. Pakistan smashed Sri Lanka when they were batting in their first group stage match but Bangladesh bowled them out for three runs. I was very surprised and very proud.

Sri Lanka Fan: I think that India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka had an even chance of qualifying for the final of the Asia Cup. They are very good teams but Sri Lanka have played better than the rest to do the job. I was surprised to see that Bangladesh were also going to play in the final, but teams don't qualify for a final without playing well. I'm happy for them.

Schedule

25th March: Bangladesh v Sri Lanka* at Mumbai

*predicted winners

The ICC have announced that they have recorded the inaugural Asia Cup as a success, but they may consider increasing the alloted number of overs per side to ten for future tournaments.

"The ICC have recorded the Asia Cup as a success and are strongly looking at organising another tournament in the near future, but with some modifications to it," said a spokesperson.

Proposed modifications include the following:

• Increase the alloted number of overs per side to ten
  • Abolish fielding restrictions
  • Use only host country instead of using multiple countries
[*] Abolish fielding restrictions

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Bangladesh post Sri Lanka 33 to win in fascinating final

In what may well be the best and most tense game of the tournament, Bangladesh have set Sri Lanka 33 to win in the Asia Cup final at the Brabourne Stadium in Mumbai, India.

groundtx4.jpg

A sparsely populated by atmospheric Brabourne Stadium minutes before the start of play in the Asia Cup final

Sri Lanka won the toss and elected to bowl first on what looked like a dry and dusty wicket. A lot of dropped catches were made up for by stunning ones like this:

stunnervm2.jpg

Sri Lanka fielder Dilhara Fernando takes a stunning catch on the boundary to dismiss Bangladesh captain Habibul Bashar

scorecardlk4.jpg

Bangladesh batted well but moments of brilliance from Sri Lanka restricted them to 32-5 from their 6 overs

bowlingrp1.jpg

Sri Lanka's bowlers took respectable figures undeer pressure

MATCH UPDATE:

Bangladesh innings: 32/5 (6 overs)

Sri Lanka require 33 to win from 36 balls​

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
First Ever Asia Cup Winners: SRI LANKA

Sri Lanka rolled over Bangladesh to win the inaugural Asia Cup by 9 wickets in Mumbai.

winningrunsjv1.jpg

Sanath Jaysuriya hits the winning runs

celebrationsaq4.jpg

Sri Lanka's batsmen celebrate a historic victory

"What a match, what a match," said coach Tom Moody following the game.

59634.jpg

Pundits and fans alike had almost set the winner's place in stone as India, and runners up as Pakistan. However, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh proved their worth and have proved that any future competitions are likely to be mouth watering. Goodbye and goodnight from Mumbai.​

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
!x!Culli!x! said:
Shortest. Story. Ever. :D

I don't think that this comment is fair to be honest. I put quite a bit of effort into this story thread, and if you had read my earlier posts you would have known that I haven't been feeling well recently. I have a lot of schoolwork to do this week, including finishing a case study that will add up to 20% of my final grade. I have also posted that I am planning to modify the format and then start a second edition of this tournament during my Easter break, which starts on Friday and lasts for two weeks.

If I'm only going to receive comments like that when I write a story thread, I might as well not bother.

D

Deleted member 13648

skateboarder said:
I don't think that this comment is fair to be honest. I put quite a bit of effort into this story thread, and if you had read my earlier posts you would have known that I haven't been feeling well recently. I have a lot of schoolwork to do this week, including finishing a case study that will add up to 20% of my final grade. I have also posted that I am planning to modify the format and then start a second edition of this tournament during my Easter break, which starts on Friday and lasts for two weeks.

If I'm only going to receive comments like that when I write a story thread, I might as well not bother.
There wasn't any menace intended in that post, this story rules. Sorry I should have made that clear

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Congrats to Lanka for being the first time Asia cup winners :clap . excellent presentaion Lee :)

Users who are viewing this thread