Bonus Points in CCh

Well I've lost the bet I made with myself (Is that even possible!!!!!!) I hadn't expected it to last past the first hour without a sussex fan entering ;)

Well to be fair I had prepared a response to the thread but realized it might get me stripped of my Globie status.

Oh go on, everone knows globies are the real power behind the site and are as such untouchable ;)

Well I've lost the bet I made with myself (Is that even possible!!!!!!) I hadn't expected it to last past the first hour without a sussex fan entering ;)

You know what they say about gamblers, Kev! :p

Personally I think that the system does not encourage attacking play to win enough, mostly just to score runs in the 1st innings, regardless of the day, time etc.

I much prefer the Australian system of 2 points for a first innings win, and 6 for an outright win (note that the first innings win points are not given in addition to the outright win points, but can be given to a side that loses outright).

It encourages winning a lot more and does not give batting and bowling targets like the Championship does.

The first innings win is good because of the amount of draws, if the game is lost there is something to play for, but it's still not as good as an outright win, and you can't do very well without outright wins.

Personally I think that the system does not encourage attacking play to win enough, mostly just to score runs in the 1st innings, regardless of the day, time etc.

I much prefer the Australian system of 2 points for a first innings win, and 6 for an outright win (note that the first innings win points are not given in addition to the outright win points, but can be given to a side that loses outright).

It encourages winning a lot more and does not give batting and bowling targets like the Championship does.

The first innings win is good because of the amount of draws, if the game is lost there is something to play for, but it's still not as good as an outright win, and you can't do very well without outright wins.

I agree, that is a good system. How amny points for a draw and winning by an innings?

I agree, that is a good system. How amny points for a draw and winning by an innings?
There are no points for a draw. If it's a draw, the match is decided on the 2 points for first innings. The team that doesn't get the 1st innings gets nothing in a draw.

As for an innings, it is just a regular outright victory.

There should be points for results and nothing else.
I still remember a few games earlier where teams were playing for bouns points, this needs to be addressed and changed in my opinion.

I like the Intercontinental Cup points system.

Win: 14 points
Draw: 3 points, but only if more than 8 hours play is lost.
Abandoned: 10 points
First innings lead: 6 points.

Couldn't we do the above and just uses runs like how Football uses goals?

Ie Runs scored and Runs conceded in two columns, and the difference is used if the teams are level on points.

?

There are no points for a draw. If it's a draw, the match is decided on the 2 points for first innings. The team that doesn't get the 1st innings gets nothing in a draw.

As for an innings, it is just a regular outright victory.

There should be at least 1 point for a draw.

I like the Intercontinental Cup points system.

Win: 14 points
Draw: 3 points, but only if more than 8 hours play is lost.
Abandoned: 10 points
First innings lead: 6 points.
Again, too many points. There might as well be a lower amount of points, like 6,2.

iloveireland said:
There should be at least 1 point for a draw.
As I said, the 2 points go to the first innings leader. It's good because it does not reward teams for playing for draws.

Again, too many points. There might as well be a lower amount of points, like 6,2.

As I said, the 2 points go to the first innings leader. It's good because it does not reward teams for playing for draws.
I dont see why giving away a large amount of points is a problem, its a level playing field as everyone has a chance to score highly, so what if the final points tally for the season ends up being twice as high (or even more). Look at various Motor racing systems, in F1 you get 10 points for a win, in indycar its 20 but in nascar its 185. (Ok so 185 is probably a bit over the top). You need to have a bit of a gap points wise as under that system you can get 9 points for a draw (if you win the first innings) so if you lower them the reward for the win isn't really there as the gap is smaller, why to go for a risky win if you only score 1 or 2 points less for a safe draw. Points for a win should always be a minimum of double the maximum score you can score for a draw I'd suggest.

Last edited:
I dont see why giving away a large amount of points is a problem, its a level playing field as everyone has a chance to score highly, so what if the final points tally for the season ends up being twice as high (or even more). Look at various Motor racing systems, in F1 you get 10 points for a win, in indycar its 20 but in nascar its 185. (Ok so 185 is probably a bit over the top). You need to have a bit of a gap points wise as under that system you can get 9 points for a draw (if you win the first innings) so if you lower them the reward for the win isn't really there as the gap is smaller, why to go for a risky win if you only score 1 or 2 points less for a safe draw. Points for a win should always be a minimum of double the maximum score you can score for a draw I'd suggest.

Well I think it is good not to have too many points a season. It makes things look messy imo.

Why does something along the lines of

Sussex 500pts
Yorkshire 460pts

Look messier than

Sussex 175pts
Yorkshire 170pts?

Its only because you are used to seeing a certain points value come the end of the season, but if you look at it from the outside (pretending you have no knowledge of the current system) there isn't much difference, ok it would be slightly silly if the scores were in the 1000's I'll give you that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread