My Ratings System

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Thought I would make a small rating system of players just to keep track of their performances, can make it a little project too. I just posted it on another forum and with some tweaking, I quite like the system.

Batting

Each run over 15 - 1 point
100 - 5 bonus points
150 - 10 bonus points
If you top score - 10 points
Second top score - 5 points
Third top score - 2 points
SR over 150 (must have scored over 20, unless openers who have to have scored over 25) - 20 bonus points
SR over 100 (must have scored over 15, unless openers who have to have scored over 20) - 15 bonus points
SR over 80 (must have scored over 15) - 10 bonus points
SR under 70 (must have scored over 15, does not apply for top scorer) - subtract 10 points*

*Does not apply if win match

E.g. If you top score with 125 which is the top score off 130 balls, you get 130 points.

Bowling

Each wicket - 10 points
Three wicket haul - 5 bonus points
Four wicket haul - 10 bonus points
Five wicket haul - 15 bonus points
More than five wickets - 20 bonus points
Econ over six - subtract 10 points*
Econ under four - 20 points*
Econ under three - 30 points*
Bowled in last five overs - 10 bonus points*
Best bowling performance in no of wickets and then economy rate - 20 bonus points

*Bowled over two overs

Murali Karthik (10-3-27-6) would have earned 60 points for six wickets + 20 bonus points and 30 more for his economy + 20 bonus for best bowling performance = 130 points for his bowling

Fielding

Each Catch - 5 points
Stumping - 10 points
Would initially like suggestions on how you think I should improve the system as well as a few volunteers who would be willing to do it a few times and what country(ies) for so I can see if it is feasible. I would also hope that people could provide information as to how good a catch was or how many were dropped (ie. things you can't get from cricinfo).

If I get a fair few volunteers, maybe we can do a few series ratings (average rating) which we could keep archived in this post. It is complex but I feel that it is quite accurate.

Last edited:

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Just to keep track of players in a series, just a little project really.

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
Isn't this similar to the fantasy league?

There should be a rating on how much of contribution a player's performance made to the team aswell.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
It'd be good to see stuff like the ChampionData they use in AFL, which uses complex stats like effective use of the football or ineffective use, the difficulty of obtaining the ball (hard ball get or loose ball get) and when the player has moved the ball out of defence or into attack (as opposed to a short pass).

I mean, when you read a score card you don't necessarily know whose fault those four byes were. Recently we've been seeing Hawkeye tell us when the bat was beaten by a bowler. Bowlers bowl plenty of overs which go for 6+ runs which weren't really all that bad. There are lots of items that could go into such a rating system.

Personally, I think things like strike-rate and economy should be relative within a game, because otherwise it seems to indicate that performing well in easy conditions is better. Good economy could be decided on how far above or below the match average it is. I don't know how well this works in practice, though.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
I mean, when you read a score card you don't necessarily know whose fault those four byes were. Recently we've been seeing Hawkeye tell us when the bat was beaten by a bowler. Bowlers bowl plenty of overs which go for 6+ runs which weren't really all that bad. There are lots of items that could go into such a rating system.

Personally, I think things like strike-rate and economy should be relative within a game, because otherwise it seems to indicate that performing well in easy conditions is better. Good economy could be decided on how far above or below the match average it is. I don't know how well this works in practice, though.

I am 100% open to suggestions, how do you think I can alter the points system specifically.

As I said before, I have this on another forum too and they suggested some changes which have been made.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread