"Broad Unhappy with Bowling Coach"

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
This taken from the article located here - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/6166422.stm

Former Ashes hero Chris Broad has criticised England for trying to turn his son Stuart into a 'bowling clone'.

Broad said England bowling coach Kevin Shine had suggested that Stuart make some adjustments to his action

First thing to say is that it does seem the bowlers haven't improved at the same speed, or bowled with the same confidence, since Cooley left and was replaced by Shine.

Also another point is that many people believe Chris Read being so out of favour with Fletcher is more down to his attitude with the coaches, in that he often says he has something that works and prefers to work on that, instead of changing his game to how the coaches want him to.

Is it possible that Broad sticking to his guns maybe has something to do with him being left-out of the Ashes squad? Will this harm him in the long-run? Should bowlers gravitate towards a singular action that all bowlers use because it is better on the body? Or should bowlers stick to what is natural to them and work on refining that?

Your thoughts chaps

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
Kevin Shine certainly isn't in the same league as Troy Cooley. I thought he was brought in for the spinners more than anything anyway!

MWaugh

International Coach
players that have made it to international level very rarely need to be coached anyway. cooley hasnt come out and change anybody actions dramatically, and has often said that he merely observes and makes the odd suggestion to lee mcgrath and company. besides most players are educated enough in the game that they generally coach themselves.

they then use mentors (ie terry jenner with shane warne) to help with things like confidence or advice but arent coached as such.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Do what's natural. I started legspin a while back and was good, Warnie's action. On advice of a coach I tried to change it, and it went all down the drain...

If Stuart Broad is successful withhis action so far, then let him keep it.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Same thing has been suggested for Tait where people feel his action is going to make him too injury prone but his action is natural to him so he kept it. Broad should do the same, all the coach should do with him is fine tune his action.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
"Some adjustments to his action."

That's too vague really, Broad obviously thinks he's trying to change it completely, which may not be the case. There seems to be a concensus that Shine is not very good though, which I must admit, I'm struggling to see how people have come up with this.

Last edited:

Sureshot

Executive member
David Parsons is the spin bowling coach btw, Stevie.

Give Shine more time and let the ECB allow Harmison and the like to bowl more, they have to!

woodywiss sa sa

Club Cricketer
I agree to give him time. But Shine has been trying to re-model Andersens action coming back from injury in the middle of an ahses series, which In my opinion has cost Andersen.
They're also lots of reports from ex Players and staff that Shine is turning bowlers around so that they last longer but the cause of this being their less effective, and they don't bowl as well within their new action.

Sureshot

Executive member
Jimmys action has to be remodelled, it's not just a shine thing. It's been in the making for a while, one of the reasons I thought he did well in India.

His action wasn't practical for either a long career or an injury free one.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Sureshot said:
Jimmys action has to be remodelled, it's not just a shine thing. It's been in the making for a while, one of the reasons I thought he did well in India.

His action wasn't practical for either a long career or an injury free one.

Of that I have no doubt, but whether the biggest series England have played in their last 10 years was the right moment to try and rebuild a bowler is debateable :p

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
he shouldn't have been in the squad in the first place if his action is a problem

Users who are viewing this thread