Cairns v Modi

Highlander999

ICC President
Had a look around, couldn't see a thread about this. Been keeping an eye on this for a while and the more I read, the more I hate Modi, just that little bit more.

Cairns v Modi: Cairns fury at Modi silence | Cricket News | Global | ESPN Cricinfo

This, quote stood out for me: "The court had earlier heard from Northamptonshire captain Andrew Hall, who was called as the second witness for Modi.

Hall, the former South Africa international, succeeded Cairns as captain of the Chandigarh Lions in the ICL. He admitted that he had concerns that Cairns had been framed by the Indian players in the team and was worried about the same being done to him.

In his witness statement, Hall said Cairns had told him and Jock Campbell, the team's strength and conditioning coach, that he had been "made a scapegoat". The discussion came after a meeting that led to Cairns' dismissal from the ICL and Hall went on to confront the local players in the Chandigarh team, saying he would not put up with them trying to "destroy" him too.

Asked by Andrew Caldecott QC, "Did it ever cross your mind that Cairns was being set up?" Hall replied: "Yes"."

Now for me, Hall is one of my favourite cricketers ever and I have a lot of respect for the man, and frankly I also wouldn't put it past corrupt little shits to try and frame Cairns. I hope Modi gets caught out here, and by having a non-corrupt judge unlike in India, Modi can get his ass well and truly handed to him. I also hope those little bastards from the Chandigarh team get dragged down to.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I've been following it but contempt of court provisions make it difficult to do much other than report what has been said.

Highlander999

ICC President
Is this the law which means we can talk about it in Scotland, but people in England and Wales can't talk about it, or am I getting confused with something else?

Rohit Doshi

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Well I dont understand one thing, has Internet become so important and big that it can be used as evidence to sue someone?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
This is seriously getting into shaky terrain. You are allowed to use such offensive words against people here in this forum and get away with it? I mean, calling Modi a "pig"? He might be a wrong guy, but seriously speaking, are rules here different for different people? I get that feeling very strongly now.... A certain few talk way out of their allowed zone and conveniently say that they do it because some Indian guys do the same and so they are retorting back (when the Indian guys spoke nowhere as bad as that)?

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Is this the law which means we can talk about it in Scotland, but people in England and Wales can't talk about it, or am I getting confused with something else?

It's a UK level court case. I'm not totally sure.

This is seriously getting into shaky terrain. You are allowed to use such offensive words against people here in this forum and get away with it? I mean, calling Modi a "pig"? He might be a wrong guy, but seriously speaking, are rules here different for different people? I get that feeling very strongly now.... A certain few talk way out of their allowed zone and conveniently say that they do it because some Indian guys do the same and so they are retorting back (when the Indian guys spoke nowhere as bad as that)?

There are not different rules for different people. If you have any questions or concerns use the report post system. Just because you don't see something happen doesn't mean that nothing was done. I've spoken to more than one person recently about making personal remarks and offensive comments.
You've been here long enough and have been a staff member in the past so I shouldn't have to tell you any of this.

6ry4nj

International Coach
Does anyone believe anything Modi says these days? I'd be concerned that an action like this can only improve Modi's credibility and/or profile - I mean given that it's coming from such a low base, and can hardly get any lower.

----------

If you'd objected to the bit about British judges being incorruptible, I'd have agreed with you. While Modi will find it hard to buy a British judge, Brits of his ilk - with his underworld connections - are buying them left right and centre.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
So far the only thing that looks a bit dodgy for Cairns is the payments he received from Vijay Diamond, but without knowing how common something like that is for other players, I'm not sure how significant it really is. Being a rebel league in India, Cairns probably should have been more diligent.

As Modi's lawyer said
"You have drawn suspicion upon yourself," Thwaites said. "You must be aware that to take large payments immediately before a tournament in a country where match-fixing is rife invites suspicion?"

On the other hand, it wasn't exactly big news until Modi challenged Cairns to take it to the courts, and Cairns obliged, even knowing the power and money that Modi wields, so I'm inclined to think if he was guilty, he would've let it fade into obscurity.

So far we've seen a bunch of no-name Indian players coming forward to give evidence against Cairns, but then most say the instructions came from Dinesh Mongia, the guy supposedly translating for Cairns and he seemingly admitted his own role in the fixing by calling Cairns a co-conspirator, while others implicate Mongia further.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
On the other hand, it wasn't exactly big news until Modi challenged Cairns to take it to the courts, and Cairns obliged, even knowing the power and money that Modi wields, so I'm inclined to think if he was guilty, he would've let it fade into obscurity.

So far we've seen a bunch of no-name Indian players coming forward to give evidence against Cairns, but then most say the instructions came from Dinesh Mongia, the guy supposedly translating for Cairns and he seemingly admitted his own role in the fixing by calling Cairns a co-conspirator, while others implicate Mongia further.

that's a bit generous to say the least. cairns wouldn't be the first person to take a court case against someone purely because not to do so would imply guilt. he is also arguing that it's ruined his career, so it was hardly fading into obscurity by his own account. maybe the international press wasn't that interested but enough people clearly were.

I dunno, but that arguement sounds like you've already decided cairns is innocent no matter what. a load of teammates testify against him and they're all discredited for being "no-names"?

I'm not being drawn either way, but I'm certainly not falling on the "someone v modi so obviously that someone is in the right" wagon without a bit more evidence.

teamindia

Club Cricketer
I hope Modi gets caught out here, and by having a non-corrupt judge unlike in India, Modi can get his ass well and truly handed to him. I also hope those little bastards from the Chandigarh team get dragged down to.

Yeah the great justices of England decided to send Assange since a lady asked him to stop halfway through :lol:lol You know what..:lol The entire world knows why he is being extradicated. Having said that Judicial system in India is fairly incorruptible. The HC and SC judges are impartial and pretty good. Indians still believe their judicial system and armed forces :thumbs

Cairns does look like he is involved in fixing. His explaination about the money he recieved from the Diamond company looks very suspicious.

----------

If you'd objected to the bit about British judges being incorruptible, I'd have agreed with you. While Modi will find it hard to buy a British judge, Brits of his ilk - with his underworld connections - are buying them left right and centre.

Some one understands Britain more than the OP :thumbs:thumbs

Last edited:

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
that's a bit generous to say the least. cairns wouldn't be the first person to take a court case against someone purely because not to do so would imply guilt. he is also arguing that it's ruined his career, so it was hardly fading into obscurity by his own account. maybe the international press wasn't that interested but enough people clearly were.

I'm assuming most people exaggerate how much of an effect something like that has on them. Maybe it has hampered his promotional value or cricket behind the scenes, but then guys like Herschelle Gibbs, Mohammad Azharuddin and Wasim Akram seem to have gotten on alright.

I dunno, but that arguement sounds like you've already decided cairns is innocent no matter what. a load of teammates testify against him and they're all discredited for being "no-names"?

Dunno how you came to the conclusion that I think Cairns is 100% innocent just because he took it to the courts. My inclination just means that it holds more weight that he did go through with it as opposed to hoping it would go away without much of a headline.

As for the no-name teammates, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out they were paid off or offered other incentives by Modi for their statements. If the statements were made by people with very little to gain, they'd hold more weight with me. Besides, Dinesh Mongia's name seems to be coming up often as the guy who told the players what Cairns was supposedly offering.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
With such a case, it really depends whether the witness claimed to have seen first hand implicating acts or that they were told certain things by a third party. The latter doesn't really hurt a libel case, because all they're trying to argue is that what was printed was unsubstantiated and harmful.

teamindia

Club Cricketer
There is some other case going on between India and Italy which made me think, how can English courts rule on something that happened in India :rolleyes Neither of these are British Citizens as well. Should they not be fighting this case in India?

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Seems like utter bullshit to me. Can't ever see Cairns as a matchfixer either

Users who are viewing this thread