Chappell wants Ganguly out

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
INDIA'S Australian coach Greg Chappell believes Sourav Ganguly is no longer fit to lead the side and has threatened to quit if the captain is not changed.

Chappell, who took charge of the Indian team in June, sent an email to the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) saying Ganguly did not deserve a place in the team either, the source said.

"Chappell has told the BCCI that he will find it difficult to continue if Ganguly is retained as captain," said the source who has seen the email from Zimbabwe.

"The coach believes Ganguly is not physically or mentally fit to lead and had lost the respect of the younger players in the team."

BCCI president Ranbir Singh Mahendra confirmed he had received Chappell's mail, but declined to reveal its contents on the pretext it was a confidential report.

Chappell's missive came a day after India routed lowly Zimbabwe 2-0 to record its first Test series win outside the sub-continent since 1986 when it beat England.

The victory took Ganguly's record as India's most successful Test captain to 21 wins, seven more than second-placed Mohammad Azharuddin's tally of 14.

Both Chappell and Ganguly were flying back from Zimbabwe today and were unavailable for comment.

Relations between Chappell and Ganguly soured ahead of the first Test against Zimbabwe at Bulawayo last week when it was revealed the coach had asked the captain to step down because of his poor batting form.

Ganguly responded by carving out a painstaking six-hour century against the weakest attack in cricket and then revealed the dressing-room discussion with the coach to the media.
Chappell issued a hand-written statement ahead of the second Test in Harare, saying his efforts to motivate Ganguly had been misinterpreted as a call for the batsman to stand down as captain.

"It is disappointing that what was a private discussion between the captain and myself has become a cause of public speculation," Chappell said.

"It was a frank discussion about Indian cricket, present and future, and much of what I said was aimed at motivating Sourav for the Test.

"In that regard our exchange was beneficial."

Gangulys 101 at Bulawayo was his first international century since the 144 against Australia at Brisbane in November 2003.

After the revelations, newspapers splashed staged pictures of Chappell and Ganguly playing pool in the team hotel and greeting each other with a warm handshake before practice at the Harare sports club.

The BCCI, which is holding its elections in Kolkata on Friday, has called for a meeting next Tuesday to review the India team's performance this season and the Chappell-Ganguly spat.

India lost two one-day finals against Sri Lanka and New Zealand over the past two months before blanking a weak Zimbabwe in the Test series.

India is scheduled play Test series against Sri Lanka, Pakistan, England and West Indies, and a minimum of 33 one-day internationals from October-end to July.

Agence France-Presse

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,16696668-23212,00.html

Boy these coaches don't have much power. They have to threaten to quit just to get a player sacked it seems.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I think it's kind of funny how part of Chappell's job is that he plans to remodel Indian cricket into something more powerful and that Ganguly is obviously not a part of these plans.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
yeah, it's pretty easily arguable that if a batsman goes two years without hitting a big score, he's mentally unfit. Indian selectors are pretty messed up in that regard. Sure, to keep him in the team isn't too ridiculous, but at least take away the captaincy and give it to someone who can cope.

rudeypooh

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Every batsman has his ups and downs during their career. Ganguly is one of the best captain/batsman combination i've seen, not a very tactical choice to remove him.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
*Cough Hayden* Its not his batting that is the problem. Its more his captaincy as I mentioned above.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I loved Ganguly, but he is useless now. Weak in the field, and now losing touch with the bat. He use to be aggressive, carefree, hammering bowlers all over. He has lost that. I think he has to play one series with nothing to lose. Give it his all. Either he will come back in style, or fail miserably. If its the latter, we have to drop him. He isn't getting any younger.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
rudeypooh said:
Every batsman has his ups and downs during their career. Ganguly is one of the best captain/batsman combination i've seen, not a very tactical choice to remove him.
Haven't seen a lot of captain/batsmen have you?

Steve Waugh
Viv Richards
Don Bradman
Greg Chappell
Ian Chappell
Sunil Gavaskar
Inzamam-ul-haq
Salim Malik

for example, are/were all better than Ganguly.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
A good move by Chappell to disclose to the Board! If the BCCI is so intent in retaining Ganguly, let them appoint a coach to keep hailing and praising Ganguly and let the Indian team fall into a pit!

Time has to come for every player in the world, and Ganguly's time has come for him to quit! If he doesnt, then to hell with Team India!

I respect Saurav for his outfits in building this team! But he now has to hand over the reigns to the other guy who is perfectly fit to captain the team and lead it to glory!

pal

International Coach
Even Steve Waugh was humble enough to let go of his captaincy in the ODI team, when he felt his tenure was enough. Ganguly is not fit to compare himself with Steve Waugh, yet he's egoistic enough to cling to that position as long as he can.

rudeypooh

Club Captain
angryangy said:
Haven't seen a lot of captain/batsmen have you?

Steve Waugh
Viv Richards
Don Bradman
Greg Chappell
Ian Chappell
Sunil Gavaskar
Inzamam-ul-haq
Salim Malik

for example, are/were all better than Ganguly.

And i believe you can't read "ONE OF!" which part are you having difficulty reading?

Indiangod

International Coach
rudeypooh said:

I agree with you and this is ganguly first downfall his batting.

Users who are viewing this thread