Review Completely unplayable

s0074845

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
I would think they can look at the source code for DBC14 and see how stats was implemented and possibly migrate it across to Ashes. That was one of the best thing implemented superbly in DBC14 after Lara 99.

Secondly there has to be way to remap those strokes which does not match the animation without doing another mo cap.

N Jones

Club Captain
I'm so frustrated with this game it's been a complete waste of money. I've given it a good go over the past couple of weeks, I really tried to like it but there are just too many issues rendering it unplayable.
  1. The first thing I tried was training but some parts of the training you can't complete e.g. stopping a boundary when fielding but the batsmen keeps blocking. Fairly minor but this bad start set the tone for the rest of the game.
  2. I played a few games using the new controls but the bowling doesn't work at all. When you press the button to bowl it doesn't register so it's impossible to bowl a good ball. I switched to classic controls...
  3. I thought I'd have a go at career mode. Spent ages downloading all the English county teams and setting up my player. Then I realised the batting lineups were completely wrong. The Hants top 6 were all bowlers! There's no way to preview these lineups when downloading so I didn't find out till too late.
  4. Fair enough I thought, these teams are provided by the community so maybe I should settle for the ashes mode which has all the proper players... I played the first test no problem, the second test I had a stupid first innings which was completely unrealistic, all of the England middle order got out for ducks and then Jimmy Anderson got a century.
  5. Then it came to bowling in the second test using the classic controls and it suddenly stopped working. The right stick down part worked but I would move the stick up in the green and every single time it said I was late and a no ball was bowled. I didn't have any problems with these controls in the previous test. Once it broke then if I timed it stupidly early I could get it to perfect or good. I tried restarting the game but it didn't fix anything.
  6. Finally I tried playing tonight and three times the game hung on the loading screen waiting for a game to load. I finally got in to play the test but the bowling problem was back and then it crashed. Now it seems this series is corrupted because it won't load at all!

These aren't just minor glitches that you can turn a blind eye to. It's fundamental game controls not working, failure to load, saves corrupting. I feel like Big Ant have fleeced me here. I don't understand how anyone can be enjoying this game as it's completely unplayable for me. I'm playing on PS4 so the hardware should be ok.

Maybe there will be an update that fixes all of this. I haven't even mentioned the less significant bugs like wrong commentary, crazy impossible fielding catches etc.
The game is slightly better then DB17 but only just.there's still major issues with this like the overthrow's that I'm constantly getting. I'm waiting to start a career as Surrey but for some reason the get best feature for me to get the English county teams isn't working because the kits are just plain with the team name written across the front so I dunno what's going on there.I have asked Ross if there was another patch coming and he said there was so we'll have to wait n see..

Bleddyn

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Canada
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
for some reason the get best feature for me to get the English county teams isn't working because the kits are just plain with the team name written across the front so I dunno what's going on there.

Delete any current teams you have downloaded under English Domestic. The search for teams > User Name: Llewellyn and download them individually. It should work and you will get the best looking county kits that way. With "Get Best" you get whatever has been rated highest, and in my experience that is not always the best.

N Jones

Club Captain
Delete any current teams you have downloaded under English Domestic. The search for teams > User Name: Llewellyn and download them individually. It should work and you will get the best looking county kits that way. With "Get Best" you get whatever has been rated highest, and in my experience that is not always the best.
Thanks...the kits are just plain with the team names written across the front..I'll try your method..so frustrating

Bluebagger

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
118 hours played and I haven't had any of these problems on pc, guess I got the playable version
Go and do the training then because it's well and truly stuffed to embarrassing proportions to the point that some of the drills are borderline impossible to complete.

The game isn't unplayable but the training is stuffed.

Swervin

Club Cricketer
Go and do the training then because it's well and truly stuffed to embarrassing proportions to the point that some of the drills are borderline impossible to complete.

The game isn't unplayable but the training is stuffed.
Which drills are borderline impossible?
I just did all the fielding training first go with ease then repeated them in case I was lucky but there was no way I would have failed.
I also tried the batting and bowling tutorials but did not bother repeating them.

Jerm

International Coach
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
I just did all the fielding training first go with ease then repeated them in case I was lucky but there was no way I would have failed.
I also tried the batting and bowling tutorials but did not bother repeating them.
The Reflex catch one was quite hard as the AI wasnt hitting catches ;)

Bluebagger

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
As I said on 21/12/17

The tutorial is poorly implemented

Catch the ball; batsman leaves the ball
Relay the throw; batsman can’t hit the ball beyond the inner fielders
Tap the ball back; batsman can’t hit a boundary
Take a reflex catch; batsman leaves the ball again or skies the ball

https://www.planetcricket.org/forum...neral-discussion.108736/page-240#post-3229313

scampy

Club Captain
Whilst Ashes Cricket is not the best it has some decent points / moments. I gather the same cannot be said for AO Tennis which is getting panned worldwide from all quarters.

I will be thinking long and hard before putting my money down on a Big Ant game.

Jerm

International Coach
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
Whilst Ashes Cricket is not the best it has some decent points / moments. I gather the same cannot be said for AO Tennis which is getting panned worldwide from all quarters.

I will be thinking long and hard before putting my money down on a Big Ant game.
AO Tennis has had several huge patches latey making this game very competitive indeed, improved one hell of a lot since launch, great for those getting it on the world wide release, Ashes will get more pacthes as well.... but i've said before releasing a bugged sub standard game and patching it to prefection is not a clever way to go as most reviews review the substandard game, ending up in terrible reviews! which people read and then dont buy the game even though it gets patched later to almost perfection :)

Skankhunt 42

Banned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
AO Tennis has had several huge patches latey making this game very competitive indeed, improved one hell of a lot since launch, great for those getting it on the world wide release, Ashes will get more pacthes as well.... but i've said before releasing a bugged sub standard game and patching it to prefection is not a clever way to go as most reviews review the substandard game, ending up in terrible reviews! which people read and then dont buy the game even though it gets patched later to almost perfection :)

Wish BA would've taken notes of it and we might have a polished Ashes cricket. Might be a more refined DBC 18 as well than disastrous DBC 17! But.. not gonna happen! We'll always be thinking long and hard before pouring more money than an AAA title. And once bought, we'll eagerly await being blessed with the almighty perfect patch that'll turn this stone to gold! Please BA, we can live with 2-3 years of wait for a perfect quality cricket game. I believe you feel bad too while witnessing a bright prospect turns to a catastrophe!

Hester

County Cricketer

AO Tennis is still a heap of junk compared to top spin 4, which came out in 2010 .

Users who are viewing this thread