Cricket 19 General Discussion

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I’m almost certain and I’ve just looked back at all my highlight reels from previous games. That outfield catches have always been very very limited.

Iv seen mistimed pulls.
We had the irritating chip to mid off and on.

We only ever had the slap to short cover. But never a proper drive in the air.

No flick to mid wickets.

i reckon it’s one of the longest standing weaknesses of the game!

so I definitely have had catches at forward square leg and backward mid wicket - the majority yes most-timed pulls and usually when I couldn’t get a bugger out and I would go round the wicket and go chin music... But I’ve also had a few where they were normal shots in that area that were taken by the fielder running in and catching low.

not many, not for either. But they existed, they were a possibility, and they aren’t any more.

similarly I’ve had less than 5 stumpings over all games probably... but the ai used their feet to me as a spinner so that was another challenge to face, and the stumpings were at least feasible.

full disclosure, i'm very unreasonable - i WANT most of my dismissals being lbw, bowled, and caught behind/slip: they're the most exciting dismissals. (and bat pad for spinner of course). but i want to feel there are other chances... i want the top-edging a bouncer to fine leg, i want them coming down the track and not getting to the pitch and not timing it and being caught etc.

D

Deleted member 193590

I had a dismissal last night I've not seen before,bowled a delivery with Harmison about waist height and Lee tried to cut it but top edged it,but instead of flying to the boundary for 4,it went straight up in the air for what seemed like bloody miles and Jones took it.So there are some really nice varied dismissals but just not frequent enough.

Reactions: DAP

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Good to see that it is possible for good healthy discussions to take place between people who are able to articulate their points well and respect the opinion of the other. Nice!

Lets keep it that way is what I mean to say!;)

Why you little *****

It also seems like Big Ant consistently bite off more than they can chew, and have done since DBC14. All those subtle variations in attributes, those millions of game sliders, trying to cater for everyone really.

Without doubt the best simulation of cricket was BLIC2005. It simply had AI aggression, and skill attributes, I think front foot and back foot, bowling speed, turn, accuracy, that's about it. I wish a modern system could run it, and I am not sure how one gets to play it these days. Modern computers don't even have CD drives. Pitches were slightly different, you could get all the dismissal modes (I think), and AI players generally behaved how they should with those half dozen or so sliders. There were what, five difficulty levels, maximum? It of course needed a third party player editor.

Perhaps in catering to everyone, Big Ant have made 90 per cent of a cricket game that has reached its ceiling.

Last edited:

LEFF

Club Captain
I was bowling and had the AI with 2 miss timed pull/hook shots deliveries caught at short fine leg in a somewhat body line attempt to get wickets. Good to note I have put the bouncer slider to 100- feels really dangerous both in bowling and for attacking batsmen!

I totally get the lack of certain dismissals evident- I remember not long after release there was a wee bit of lift in straight drives that presented chances in the V. Would be nice to see this appear more frequently.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
so I definitely have had catches at forward square leg and backward mid wicket - the majority yes most-timed pulls and usually when I couldn’t get a bugger out and I would go round the wicket and go chin music... But I’ve also had a few where they were normal shots in that area that were taken by the fielder running in and catching low.

not many, not for either. But they existed, they were a possibility, and they aren’t any more.

similarly I’ve had less than 5 stumpings over all games probably... but the ai used their feet to me as a spinner so that was another challenge to face, and the stumpings were at least feasible.

full disclosure, i'm very unreasonable - i WANT most of my dismissals being lbw, bowled, and caught behind/slip: they're the most exciting dismissals. (and bat pad for spinner of course). but i want to feel there are other chances... i want the top-edging a bouncer to fine leg, i want them coming down the track and not getting to the pitch and not timing it and being caught etc.
I'd like to see the AI middle one to cover occasionally. Or hit one down the throat of Deep Fine/Deep Square Leg - but have that based on the player, have them do a Mooen or Tim Paine and fall into the trap you set. Not something that will happen against every batsman you try bowling short stuff against. (Bring up the profile with strengths, weaknesses, preferences of the new batsman - oh look, 'Likes to hook' maybe I'll test him). It does feel like the AI batting hits the gaps when it has to (hi @Spoobir :wave).

There's other things lacking too; 'fending off' high balls is a kind of shot that isn't really there. You aren't likely to get a player getting a top edge to gully by trying to fend a chest/throat high ball. I think there's an animation but the ball just thuds into the bat and straight into the ground. Even for a close fielder getting a catch.

I think the same issues are present for human batting though. If you only use 'normal' shots how are you ever going to get out any other way than bowled, lbw or caught behind/slips? I think, if you mistime you lose power in a shot; so a ball that might IRL go to an infielder on the fly will dribble along the ground and you can steal a single. There's a slider for adjusting the power penalty but I don't think these apply to AI batting.

I'd like to see that 'penalty' translate into directional variety at least some of the time. At the moment, you aim to hit through cover it'll go there. Unless you edge it. If your timing is off it might not make it to the boundary or, if there's a fielder, it'll go slower but in that general direction. I'd like to see more resulting in balls going to point, particularly on faster pitches or against quicker bowling. I think far too many of my wagon wheels are just fours through cover/cover point. It'd be good to see a few more loose shots played.

Plotinus

Associate Captain
I think the phrase "why was it removed?" is unhelpful. I don't disagree that there aren't things you don't see enough or things you see too often, but I don't think someone is sat at their desk deciding to take things out the game. Which is the impression I think that wording gives.
I would argue that the freezing of the bowler is a deliberate coded 'feature'. It is probably done because of some difficulty BA encountered in making the bowler behave naturally...but it is not an accidental omission or oversight. Whether the consequence of this is the reason why caught and bowled has been 'removed' as an option for spinners, I can't say, but it is disappointing that this is not an option anymore. The fact that advancing down the pitch never happens (and thus stumpings don't either) could be a problem with the AI logic misfiring rather than a conscious effort to remove it...but then again, it could have been deliberately removed because leaving it in created more problems with managing AI responses to situations. I'm not arguing that we should have every form of dismissal available (Mankad, obstructing the field or even hit wicket I can do without) but not making all common forms of dismissal prevalent in the game is either poor design or poor implementation...or possibly both. I say this as someone who does enjoy the game (and previous iterations), for what it is, and I recognise that BA have to make compromises in some areas to reduce risk to overall game play. I just wish that they didn't reduce the game by removing (whether intentionally or through implementation errors) certain things that are quintessentially part of cricket.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I would argue that the freezing of the bowler is a deliberate coded 'feature'. It is probably done because of some difficulty BA encountered in making the bowler behave naturally...but it is not an accidental omission or oversight. Whether the consequence of this is the reason why caught and bowled has been 'removed' as an option for spinners, I can't say, but it is disappointing that this is not an option anymore. The fact that advancing down the pitch never happens (and thus stumpings don't either) could be a problem with the AI logic misfiring rather than a conscious effort to remove it...but then again, it could have been deliberately removed because leaving it in created more problems with managing AI responses to situations. I'm not arguing that we should have every form of dismissal available (Mankad, obstructing the field or even hit wicket I can do without) but not making all common forms of dismissal prevalent in the game is either poor design or poor implementation...or possibly both. I say this as someone who does enjoy the game (and previous iterations), for what it is, and I recognise that BA have to make compromises in some areas to reduce risk to overall game play. I just wish that they didn't reduce the game by removing (whether intentionally or through implementation errors) certain things that are quintessentially part of cricket.
When you look at the game as a whole, I think there could be some issues with transitioning between animations. It's far more noticeable in batting and especially fielding. There doesn't seem to be enough there to replicate different caught and bowled types (low, high, chest high, diving either way, waiting for one that's gone straight up and high) so you get them diving five metres after suddenly stopping in their follow through. I've absolutely no idea how to do motion capture, but it'd seem like they need to get someone perform a bowling action (without the ball) then have another person throwing a ball at different levels and get them to attempt a catch or stop. And you don't just want them dropping it (in game) you want those that explode through the fingers and carry on down the ground.

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Good to see that it is possible for good healthy discussions to take place between people who are able to articulate their points well and respect the opinion of the other. Nice!

Lets keep it that way is what I mean to say!;)
I did see this quite a lot in AO Tennis 2 Forums, but don't see it frequently over here. Only a handful do that in C19 Forums.

MARK99ZA

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

I had a stumping to a spinner in a T20 - AI used their feet. This was on the patch that disabled ball turn last week

TORNEDO

Club Cricketer
India
Profile Flag
India
I've faced this same issue, although it only happens sometimes, and seems to affect only one batsman per innings. In the very next innings, the same batsman won't have this problem. Reloading does not help. The only good thing is that it does not happen in every match.

Gayan

Club Captain
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Stumping as a form of dissmisal was present in past iterations. Must be something to do with reworking the batting animations with mo cap. Now it's impossible to get stumped or get the Ai stumped as the new animations for aggressive shots don't have the same forward momentum dragging you out the crease.

Past iterations when u went hard at the ball momentum would drag u forward. Against spin when u played aggressive shots and missed u often had to hit cancel as ud find urself out of the crease, to attempt to get back before being stumped.

Even against pace if u played aggressive shots and missed the Ai keeper sometimes would attempt to under arm at the stumps (which was a bit over the top).

D

Deleted member 185125

Cut scene framerates have definitely dipped since the recent patch. Not a deal breaker but you can definitely see the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread