Cricket 19 General Discussion

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
@blockerdave @T.J.Hooker

I've seen some interesting results when batting the last few days and mixing it up by using the chip shot (mostly unsuccessfully). T20's so I'm trying to be a bit more expansive than I am in tests. It feels like a lot of what is missing from normal batting is there.

Big things for me is lofted drives always feel like they go too high and which increase the risk of being caught. There are some nice flatter ones, usually from mistiming chip shots, which I think you were getting at with your post TJ. But I'd like to be able to have them played as a controlled shot rather than as a result of messing up. Had several caught and bowled by firing is straight to the bowler at chest to head height. Frustrating but more realistic than where they're jumping three metres to scoop one from just above the ground from a standing position/halfway through their follow through.

Also, due to the poor bounce, its very difficult to play what feels like a legitimate cut shot. Especially against spinners. Feels like a riskier shot than it should be because you're likely to just waft about a foot above the ball or jabbing it into the ground. Then you have the AI playing the fancy new cut all the time, in all directions.

Pull shots are very tame, all of them feel like a guided shot with not enough power. There needs to be a bit more of players just trying to hit the leather off it at times. In fact most leg side shots feel a lot weaker than they should. On the opposite end of the cover drives feel a little overpowered.

Agree about the animations, for the most part they are sufficient. There's still some ugly ones.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I thought the pull shot vs pace felt fantastic in DBC14, but the pull shot and cut shots vs spin were hardly playable at all. The cut shot was initially problematic vs pace but it felt pretty good by the last patch.

Most of the time now I seem to get a Steve Smith style controlled pull - which looks really nice, and I don't want to complain about that shot and I'm happy to have it in the game - but I'd like a really full blooded option as well. Being able to customise a batsman's shot repertoire would be fantastic.

And I miss this power trigger pull shot over midwicket that worked really nicely against medium pace when they dropped just a bit short. Exactly the attacking option I wanted for that delivery.

Pulls and cuts against spin are better now, but the lack of pace and bounce for spinners means they're still not the powerful attacking option that I'm really looking for. Spinners who drop short deserve to be properly spanked, the bastards. Off to the goddamn fence with them.

chaman82

County Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I'm less concerned about animations and more concerned that the outcomes are realistic, given the delivery and the shot played. Similar concern, but not quite the same.

For instance, if you've got a delivery which is off stump and thigh or hip high / back of a length, and the batsman is on a normal guard and the shot selected is a front foot straight bat drive - esp if aiming straight or offside - the resulting shot should be weak or missed or popping up a catch, imo.

Animation wise, I think the game generally gets this scenario correct : it will display a shot where the ball makes contact high up on the bat. But result wise, it gets it wrong because you can still see the ball hit powerfully from that high contact.
Point.

My main concern with batting is difficulty increasing by making timing window short. Thus making the player to play early .

I play on pro cam with no HUD and my best experience is with the following settings..

Batting base level - hard
100 for all the timing window parameters
Bal quality footwork etc. 100
Little increase in good edges.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I thought the pull shot vs pace felt fantastic in DBC14, but the pull shot and cut shots vs spin were hardly playable at all. The cut shot was initially problematic vs pace but it felt pretty good by the last patch.

Most of the time now I seem to get a Steve Smith style controlled pull - which looks really nice, and I don't want to complain about that shot and I'm happy to have it in the game - but I'd like a really full blooded option as well. Being able to customise a batsman's shot repertoire would be fantastic.

And I miss this power trigger pull shot over midwicket that worked really nicely against medium pace when they dropped just a bit short. Exactly the attacking option I wanted for that delivery.

Pulls and cuts against spin are better now, but the lack of pace and bounce for spinners means they're still not the powerful attacking option that I'm really looking for. Spinners who drop short deserve to be properly spanked, the bastards. Off to the goddamn fence with them.
I did start writing about repetoires but thought BD might be on the wine by now and wouldn't make it to the end of the post let alone more.

Could be a long one so I might have to get visual aids and fine tune the explanation of what I was thinking so it isn't a long ramble.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Yeah, explaining things concisely is really tricky sometimes.

The things that tend to bug me to the extent that I post about it tend to be either i) shots that should be playable but aren't and ii) shots that shouldn't be playable but are.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Individual repertoires or biases for players that would both add individuality and also give you more to think about from a bowling/field placement perspective would add so much.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Got visually quite heavy rain but not going off for it.
Shame really as a rain affected draw is my only chance of avoiding an enormous defeat!!!

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
So I've been tweaking some gameplay sliders (finally lol), more specifically spin bowling. Trying to get drift, spin and bounce. There's a good variety of balls here, in particular how I get out, genuinely got me with deception (which is the goal really, a challenge.)

I also tuned umpiring a bit so there's an occasional 'questionable' decision like real life lol. I've tweaked paced bowling a bit (not in video), fast bowlers are around 145-151, bounce is a bit more consistent. Let me know what you think, as I said this is the first time I've actually tried to get some custom sliders going on.

(This one shows a bit more turn)

Last edited:

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
So I've been tweaking some gameplay sliders (finally lol), more specifically spin bowling. Trying to get drift, spin and bounce. There's a good variety of balls here, in particular how I get out, genuinely got me with deception (which is the goal really, a challenge.)

I also tuned umpiring a bit so there's an occasional 'questionable' decision like real life lol. I've tweaked paced bowling a bit (not in video), fast bowlers are around 145-151, bounce is a bit more consistent. Let me know what you think, as I said this is the first time I've actually tried to get some custom sliders going on.

(This one shows a bit more turn)
What are the actual slider changes?

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia
Well, shit, that was a colossal waste of time. Turns out the custom sliders, particularly, spin bowling, (physics based sliders in general) keep resetting to default whenever I go back in to tweak them, or exit the difficulty settings in general. Either I'm missing something blatantly obvious or this is a stupid bug of epic proportions.

I've put up with a lot of smaller bugs etc in this game, but I worked pretty meticulously to get the sliders I liked. Rage uninstalled for now lol (lol not really.) What's the point of having custom settings if you can't actually save them or the game is too effed up to do it in the first place.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Well, shit, that was a colossal waste of time. Turns out the custom sliders, particularly, spin bowling, (physics based sliders in general) keep resetting to default whenever I go back in to tweak them, or exit the difficulty settings in general. Either I'm missing something blatantly obvious or this is a stupid bug of epic proportions.

I've put up with a lot of smaller bugs etc in this game, but I worked pretty meticulously to get the sliders I liked. Rage uninstalled for now lol (lol not really.) What's the point of having custom settings if you can't actually save them or the game is too effed up to do it in the first place.

They do save ....

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia
They do save ....
Not from what I saw. I should mention this is twice now this has happened to me. I'm not even going to keep on going on about it, not worth it really.

Users who are viewing this thread