Cricket 19 General Discussion

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Generic players?

ok, it's badly phrased, not generic as such, more "not known".

For context, I've obviously been playing the England 90s. For a break from tests, I started playing ODIs, but I hate them. So I decided instead to create a fictional 1960s Northern League, making 8 teams each with a "pro" from the time - e.g. Basil D'Oliveira, Wes Hall, Richie Benaud etc. and filling the rest of the line up with club-level cricketers. I figured some people may have made club players for their career or whatever. And grounds too - I didn't want to make everything from scratch.

Playing single day declaration format - 110 overs in the day: bat as long as you like then try and defend/get them out. Draws allowed. Just wanted to see (a) - would the legends really stand out, and (b) generally how the AI would approach that.

Am pretty much done though, using the uncontracted players in the game, with judicious name and equipment changes.

kashan123999

has said thanks for this post
@kashan123999 @Sahil70

have you adjusted run rate sliders? Or what are your bowling difficulties?

I never get anything like that. I’d suggest you either have run rate slider too high or you’re bowling difficulty too high so you’re not bowling “well enough”.
Hi Blocker, thanks for the detailed replies and comments. Been following your DBC journey since 2013/14 when the first of hypes around a better cricketing experiences reverberated.

I haven't adjusted run rate sliders just the default Pro settings and since I am playing on Medium difficulty of bowling so i thought it'd be easier for me to actually bowl the good balls. can post a few hawk eye screenies to verify line/length too.

Would really hope it's me and not the game since apart from a few *historical* BA caveats, this game is sooooo greatt! Especially they have perfected the batting barring animation improvements, advancing down the wicket and a couple other things. Truly a successor to DBC14!

Sahil70

Club Captain
No. not to be rude I think better bowling. Or lower rated players.

Generally the AI "goes after" what it considers bad balls. Either you're bowling too many, or the players are overpowered/overrated and able to go after even good balls.

I don't feel some of them are bad balls( whatever the games definition of that is). Guess AI can do what ever it wants no matter what. As for players ratings, am using mainly Wasteyouryouth's creations.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
My experience of AI batting, in tests, is they will do what they want and when required.

I am fully 100% understanding that the game is not AI v AI optimised and I'm fine with that. BUT, watching some (a lot) of AI v AI over the last week it feels like the AI will look for firstly how many runs and then find the gap to achieve that. It feels like the explanation as to why there is so much of the fancy cut shots through the third man region. Not always occupied by a fielder, so a gap, so runs are easy to exploit. Realistically looking for gaps - yes. But then you get shots that feel unrealistic. The reverse/switch off drive easily for four just seems cheap. A shot that if you were to get it for four would require extremely high skill or extremely high risk to achieve the direction/power in order to hit the gap.

In test matches (and other formats) I rarely feel like I can get on top of the opposition batting. I have, nearly, always had the AI scoring 4+. Basically it comes down to damage limitation (fine in T20s, in other formats it becomes tedious). There is always a boundary or run coming, seems similar in the T20 matches I've been simming (I think anyone who has watched would agree that the 'first ball boundary' is at least 50%). Like you get some pitches or conditions you get collapses, I'm sure they happen in human player v AI but to what extent is that my doing or just the conditions tuning the AI to fail?

Spinners, cutters seems overpowered. I think this is primarily a problem with AI being able to deal with balls moving off the pitch. But, morever the really poor bounce. The Very Soft, Day 5 pitches we've had - which are fine, hugely entertaining - do not feel realistic. I can't imagine a real life pitch having bounce that barely goes above ankle height.

In tests, the only time the AI seems to be put out of its comfort zone is resorting to a ring field. Then the AI 'has' to start hitting over the top.

Part of this is that I don't use the meters, just the run ups, so I accept that I will bowl fewer ideal deliveries. But what is odd is that Good/Good will be left while Perfect/Perfect will be smashed. Often feels like the AI is saving up run scoring deliveries and will take them as and when is needed. Perhaps Good deliveries need less punishment. I use Standard spin bowling over Classic, maybe the control styles need better balance. OR, please, Classic could be better balanced with Classic for swing (i.e. get rid of the turning the stick - seriously, would ANYONE miss that?)

For me it always comes back to how the AI playing in a way that is more influenced by a team/overall 'target' rather than by what the player will do.

That being said, before people call 'scripting', I've see enough AI v AI matches to think there are enough variables to deliver different results from more than just conditions. BUT, with test matches it feels more formulaic than T20s do.

To steal a term from writing.

The game feels plot led. E.g. this needs to happen so the players will fit into it (whether reducing, increasing run rates, playing or avoiding certain strokes). As opposed to it being 'character (player) driven'; e.g. the player adapts their style, tactics, run rates, strike rates to the situation.

Of course I have NO IDEA how easy/difficult it is to achieve this. I can only comment on what my playing experience is and how I feel it should be. But that comes back to me wanting more feedback on how I'm doing. Am I bowling well or not? Is the AI run rate of 4.5 telling that I'm bowling poorly or that the conditions really suit the AI and I should just try and reign it in??

cc @Sahil70 @blockerdave

Last edited:
Profile Flag
Scotland
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
  5. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Is any developer develop New Sri Lanka T20 kit 2020?

Neil Harvey

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I see some created stadiums with vehicles, how do you access them!?

I've created a ground with car park and would like to add something to it!

I have both Xbox and PC versions of the game.

Thanks Neil

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
My experience of AI batting, in tests, is they will do what they want and when required.

I am fully 100% understanding that the game is not AI v AI optimised and I'm fine with that. BUT, watching some (a lot) of AI v AI over the last week it feels like the AI will look for firstly how many runs and then find the gap to achieve that. It feels like the explanation as to why there is so much of the fancy cut shots through the third man region. Not always occupied by a fielder, so a gap, so runs are easy to exploit. Realistically looking for gaps - yes. But then you get shots that feel unrealistic. The reverse/switch off drive easily for four just seems cheap. A shot that if you were to get it for four would require extremely high skill or extremely high risk to achieve the direction/power in order to hit the gap.

In test matches (and other formats) I rarely feel like I can get on top of the opposition batting. I have, nearly, always had the AI scoring 4+. Basically it comes down to damage limitation (fine in T20s, in other formats it becomes tedious). There is always a boundary or run coming, seems similar in the T20 matches I've been simming (I think anyone who has watched would agree that the 'first ball boundary' is at least 50%). Like you get some pitches or conditions you get collapses, I'm sure they happen in human player v AI but to what extent is that my doing or just the conditions tuning the AI to fail?

Spinners, cutters seems overpowered. I think this is primarily a problem with AI being able to deal with balls moving off the pitch. But, morever the really poor bounce. The Very Soft, Day 5 pitches we've had - which are fine, hugely entertaining - do not feel realistic. I can't imagine a real life pitch having bounce that barely goes above ankle height.

In tests, the only time the AI seems to be put out of its comfort zone is resorting to a ring field. Then the AI 'has' to start hitting over the top.

Part of this is that I don't use the meters, just the run ups, so I accept that I will bowl fewer ideal deliveries. But what is odd is that Good/Good will be left while Perfect/Perfect will be smashed. Often feels like the AI is saving up run scoring deliveries and will take them as and when is needed. Perhaps Good deliveries need less punishment. I use Standard spin bowling over Classic, maybe the control styles need better balance. OR, please, Classic could be better balanced with Classic for swing (i.e. get rid of the turning the stick - seriously, would ANYONE miss that?)

For me it always comes back to how the AI playing in a way that is more influenced by a team/overall 'target' rather than by what the player will do.

That being said, before people call 'scripting', I've see enough AI v AI matches to think there are enough variables to deliver different results from more than just conditions. BUT, with test matches it feels more formulaic than T20s do.

To steal a term from writing.

The game feels plot led. E.g. this needs to happen so the players will fit into it (whether reducing, increasing run rates, playing or avoiding certain strokes). As opposed to it being 'character (player) driven'; e.g. the player adapts their style, tactics, run rates, strike rates to the situation.

Of course I have NO IDEA how easy/difficult it is to achieve this. I can only comment on what my playing experience is and how I feel it should be. But that comes back to me wanting more feedback on how I'm doing. Am I bowling well or not? Is the AI run rate of 4.5 telling that I'm bowling poorly or that the conditions really suit the AI and I should just try and reign it in??

cc @Sahil70 @blockerdave

This is a great post, and while I don’t have the specific run rate issue you mention there’s a lot here I agree with.

Principally in regard to placement. There appears zero difference between a high and low rated AI batsman in regards to where they can place the ball, or the shots they play.

An AI batsman can certainly find the gap as and when they wish, and can land the ball exactly where they need to avoid the fielder. Maybe I’m mis-remembering, or maybe because it’s better in most aspects I’ve played more complete games in c19 than others, but I feel the AI cheats significantly more through scripting than in earlier games. Perhaps that’s the only way to balance other aspects? The AI can place the ball far easier than the human player, regardless of ability, and it feels like scripting not physics.

Physics is a massive issue in the game. The result so often doesn’t reflect the input, whether that’s bounce off the pitch, carry off the bat, or placement for the shot played. Going back to AI “cheating”, if they play it straight into the ground it will carry to ring fielders easily, if it they play it in the air it drops short. This is so unrealistic and absurd.

Animations is another issue in this where the AI cheats. Forward dives are extremely rare in general but if the ball is just dropping short the Fielder will at least very occasionally attempt a forward dive if the Human is batting and sometimes catch them. If the AI is batting the fielder will only ever do that horrendous stoop forward one hand pick up on the half volley that should not be in the game, has been in every one, and in my cricket game studio would be a sackable offence for every animator.

Last edited:

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
But why only edges or a loft when AI is cramped up for runs.. Cant BA make it in a way that AI drives through the gap with proper shots? The edges feel more scripted than anything along with the millions of one pitch catches to fielder at mid wicket.. Thats why I want an AI where shot allocation is done well to give them the character feel they need instead of them fulfilling an objective..

shresth512

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi,
I have been playing this game from past month, initially everything was good, then one day i screwed with the settings and the matches are black & white and very difficult to play.
Please help

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Hi,
I have been playing this game from past month, initially everything was good, then one day i screwed with the settings and the matches are black & white and very difficult to play.
Please help

this will be under filters, near the bottom of the general settings. Put it back to default

Neil Harvey

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I see some created stadiums with vehicles, how do you access them!?

I've created a ground with car park and would like to add something to it!

I have both Xbox and PC versions of the game.

Thanks Neil

Anyone got any ideas on this....really bugging me that I can see other grounds with vehicles but can't find it in creator!?

Users who are viewing this thread