Cricket 19 General Discussion

Mitchell

Panel of Selectors
AUS..
Profile Flag
Australia
If that's true, then it's a big statement.
yeh go on to Spotify search up big ant dev dairy with ross then go to 52min mark he said about it been the biggest update that when the game was officially announced

Reactions: DAP

Ace123

International Cricketer
TPCL Titans
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
If that's true, then it's a big statement.
Yeah. His statement as well as what Matt said in this forum are a big hope for a real good Cricket game.
But a few gameplay videos can reaffirm that. :yes

D

Dutch

Yeah. His statement as well as what Matt said in this forum are a big hope for a real good Cricket game.
But a few gameplay videos can reaffirm that. :yes
I would suggest actually playing the game will make your mind up or not as to whether it fits as to what you consider to being a good game......I have seen so many trailers and previews of games that I have then tried for myself and discovered that it doesnt work for me...and the other way round as well: games that have had trailers or hands on pre-release vids that have been panned and that I have enjoyed immensely......

.......No Mans Sky is a good example for me...I bought it a week after its ill-fated release after it had been absolutely crapped on by all the world....loved it! Yes there were lots of things that needed some TLC but it gave me enough enjoyment.

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleBigPlanet

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Except their games haven't always been "better", that's been the problem. If anything, their games have shipped buggier each time, and show the telltale signs of a game released before it's been fully tested. The fact that things like pitchware still weren't fixed on release of Ashes or things like cover drives not being doable on release of DBC 17 were silly. They weren't game destroying, but they certainly spoke to a lack of QA. DBC 14 remains their best game out of the box.

Hell, I was one of the most vocal in support of BigAnt for years too. I invested a huge amount of time into DBC 14 and 17, although my work in the community was largely limited to DBC 14. It's not about "what I'd consider gospel", but rather anything they can do to break those patterns. When granny gets on the drink, you know what's going to come out her mouth; that's what we're seeing from BigAnt at the moment.

Again, the game isn't going to be bad, but you can bet your last dollar that it'll have some glaring bugs across the board on release, the first patch will makes 90% of those worse, and about 30-50% of those issues will never be resolved, even after their skeleton patching crew spending several months "patching" the game.

This is the thing, I really hope some competition appears. That said, the big issue seems to be that BigAnt are racing their shadow. If anything, competition might make them rush more.

I really hate pointing out the bleeding obvious, I really do.. something about it deeply disturbs me and gives me very little motivation to post on this forum ever again.. but I will just this last time in the hope it doesn’t fall on deaf ears.. anyways I will simply counter your argument (healthy debate) with “I think the review scores for each game, speak for themselves”.

But onto more pressing issues.. the kind that is bleedingly obvious, I fired up AC for the first time in a little while (about 12 months to be truthful), started the game up unpatched while it loaded and was forced to play with classic controls (left stick right stick) and the coloured circle length indicator.. Anyway I got through about an hour of playtime at the Gabba (batting) and finished at 5/100, and my first impressions were how seemingly random and scripted my dismissals seemed to be... bar the exception of David Warner’s snick to second slip to a half volley outside off early in his innings..

Anyways after this little play test my patch was loaded and I was prompted to install, I obliged and was very soon restarting the game up to be greeted by the “select batting and bowling controls menu” a choice between “standard” “classic” or “custom”, I surely choose standard as it was what I was used to before I lent the game to my younger brother some 12 months ago.. anyways a few clicks of the my trusty old red PS4 remote and I was immediately back out in the middle of the Gabba (batting)..

Immediately my focus was on the field radar on the top right corner of my tv screen where there was a very intuitive description of what each button on the face of my PS4 remote was for, square for “precision” x for “attacking” circle for “aggressive” and triangle for “defensive”, I quickly summarised a foolproof batting tactic for each batter of getting through the early stages of there innings with defensive and precision shots (square and triangle only) before expanding to more attacking and aggressive shots (x and circle) later on, anyways this plan was nearing fruition when I noticed Stuart broad was giving me quite a few juicy half volleys outside off which I wasn’t fully capitalising on using x (attacking) so I decided to that I had earned the right to use my tactically reserved special boundary hitting circle button (aggressive) anyways in comes old Stuart broad with that same retarded “I’m about to bowl a half volley outside off , use your circle button this time face” and so I duly obliged only for my very own digital play version of Davey Warner to literally Lollipop a catch to regulation cover much to my bewilderment.. and I thought long and hard, took a deep breath, and stopped breathing for 33 whole seconds and continued to be confused to why the circle button (aggressive) had been so easily lollipopped to cover without even the slightest hint of aggression that I had tactically anticipated, anyways as it turns out the circle button (aggressive) is the loft button not the aggressive ground shot I was anticipating and that’s very frustrating 1) because there is obviously a button combination that would of executed the “aggressive ground shot” I was expecting, and 2) because even if there is another bottom combination I’m not familiar with just yet, it would of felt a lot more intuitive if it was indeed the circle button.

Anyways back to @Alberts argument that each game has been worse or buggier than dbc 14. Can you explain how a game like dbc 14 without a length indicator slider or any intuitive feedback to explain a dismissal? or can you explain why it seemed nicking was completely random and/or scripted? Or why it seemed any wicket you got while bowling or batting seemed completely scripted and/or random? Do you remember superfielders? Do you remember any of the animations? Do you remember being able to play backfoot drive to a full ball? Or a front foot shot to a short ball?

If you don’t remember any of these and/or they don’t seem like big things to you.. then I’m diagnosing you with a bad case of nostalgia! because Ashes cricket and dbc 17 remedied all these things straight out of the box, without patches! yeah they may have had a few rough edges here and there but were fixed with patches! And they were certainly better games over there predecessors visually and tactically.

Each game has improved and I have no doubt they will refine and add to this upcoming ashes game so that it’s better than the last one (which is actually pretty tweaking good) hence the review scores.

Edited by Dutch: it's not a crime to at least try and make it readable!

Last edited by a moderator:

Parcelmoose

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
I really hate pointing out the bleeding obvious, I really do.. something about it deeply disturbs me and gives me very little motivation to post on this forum ever again.. but I will just this last time in the hope it doesn’t fall on deaf ears.. anyways I will simply counter your argument (healthy debate) with “I think the review scores for each game, speak for themselves”. But onto more pressing issues.. the kind that is bleedingly obvious, I fired up AC for the first time in a little while (about 12 months to be truthful), started the game up unpatched while it loaded and was forced to play with classic controls (left stick right stick) and the coloured circle length indicator.. Anyway I got through about an hour of playtime at the Gabba (batting) and finished at 5/100, and my first impressions were how seemingly random and scripted my dismissals seemed to be... bar the exception of David Warner’s snick to second slip to a half volley outside off early in his innings.. Anyways after this little play test my patch was loaded and I was prompted to install, I obliged and was very soon restarting the game up to be greeted by the “select batting and bowling controls menu” a choice between “standard” “classic” or “custom”, I surely choose standard as it was what I was used to before I lent the game to my younger brother some 12 months ago.. anyways a few clicks of the my trusty old red PS4 remote and I was immediately back out in the middle of the Gabba (batting).. Immediately my focus was on the field radar on the top right corner of my tv screen where there was a very intuitive description of what each button on the face of my PS4 remote was for, square for “precision” x for “attacking” circle for “aggressive” and triangle for “defensive”, I quickly summarised a foolproof batting tactic for each batter of getting through the early stages of there innings with defensive and precision shots (square and triangle only) before expanding to more attacking and aggressive shots (x and circle) later on, anyways this plan was nearing fruition when I noticed Stuart broad was giving me quite a few juicy half volleys outside off which I wasn’t fully capitalising on using x (attacking) so I decided to that I had earned the right to use my tactically reserved special boundary hitting circle button (aggressive) anyways in comes old Stuart broad with that same retarded “I’m about to bowl a half volley outside off , use your circle button this time face” and so I duly obliged only for my very own digital play version of Davey Warner to literally Lollipop a catch to regulation cover much to my bewilderment.. and I thought long and hard, took a deep breath, and stopped breathing for 33 whole seconds and continued to be confused to why the circle button (aggressive) had been so easily lollipopped to cover without even the slightest hint of aggression that I had tactically anticipated, anyways as it turns out the circle button (aggressive) is the loft button not the aggressive ground shot I was anticipating and that’s very frustrating 1) because there is obviously a button combination that would of executed the “aggressive ground shot” I was expecting, and 2) because even if there is another bottom combination I’m not familiar with just yet, it would of felt a lot more intuitive if it was indeed the circle button. Anyways back to @Alberts argument that each game has been worse or buggier than dbc 14. Can you explain how a game like dbc 14 without a length indicator slider or any intuitive feedback to explain a dismissal? or can you explain why it seemed nicking was completely random and/or scripted? Or why it seemed any wicket you got while bowling or batting seemed completely scripted and/or random? Do you remember superfielders? Do you remember any of the animations? Do you remember being able to play backfoot drive to a full ball? Or a front foot shot to a short ball? If you don’t remember any of these and/or they don’t seem like big things to you.. then I’m diagnosing you with a bad case of nostalgia! because Ashes cricket and dbc 17 remedied all these things straight out of the box, without patches! yeah they may have had a few rough edges here and there but were fixed with patches! And they were certainly better games over there predecessors visually and tactically. Each game has improved and I have no doubt they will refine and add to this upcoming ashes game so that it’s better than the last one (which is actually pretty tweaking good) hence the review scores.

So, you argument for AC17 being good was that the previous games had different issues?

In AC17, you cannot bowl on certain lengths. There are limited lengths that you can bowl, meaning on certain pitches it is impossible to hit the top of the stumps. The major stumping issues that launched with AC17 were unacceptable and one of more than "a few rough edges". And a lot of issues were never touched by future patches, and some patches then brought their own issues.

And those making the argument, "BA are the only ones making cricket games," need to consider the point of critical thought. We shouldn't just be grateful for cricket games, we should be realistically critcial, especially after paying for multiple games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 185125

@LittleBigPlanet For Agressive Grounded Shots on standard controls - Press L1 once before delivery and then press O to play the shot. L1 is a toggle button and needs to pressed once during every delivery to trigger the grounded shot.

Pcuser

Club Captain
So help me god if this time around is gonna be just a re skin with the same shitty commentary i will not buy anymore after cricket 19. Please for he love of god have better commentary
and please look and feel better and different to ashes and dbc 17. I will be waiting for some YouTube or twitch streams of game play and will be looking out for these changes in Cricket 19
and if it sounds and looks better / Different then im 100% in to buying a copy day 1. This is my only comment on this game thanks for listening to my 2 cents worth like everyone else Kappa.

LittleBigPlanet

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Haha thanks @Dutch !! Yeah that looks much better than my blob of pixels did lol

Alberts

International Coach
I really hate pointing out the bleeding obvious, I really do.. something about it deeply disturbs me and gives me very little motivation to post on this forum ever again.. but I will just this last time in the hope it doesn’t fall on deaf ears.. anyways I will simply counter your argument (healthy debate) with “I think the review scores for each game, speak for themselves”.

On metacritic:

DBC: 76 (from 4)
DBC17: 83 (from 4)
Ashes: 73 (from 7)

Now, let's just ignore that nobody should take metacritic at face value, nor should you look at a sample of less than 20 reviews as particularly meaningful, but that doesn't make for great reading for your argument. At least we have some alternatives to discuss:

On opencritic:

DBC: 78 / 63% (6 reviews)
DBC17: 74 / 36% (10 reviews)
Ashes: 76 / 43% (10 reviews)

Note, opencritic use both a meta score and a "recommended %". Regardless, if you're saying "the review scores speak for themselves", I'd counter that with: they're muffled, but actually point to DBC being better than Ashes, and arguably the best received of the series.

But onto more pressing issues.. the kind that is bleedingly obvious, I fired up AC for the first time in a little while (about 12 months to be truthful), started the game up unpatched while it loaded and was forced to play with classic controls (left stick right stick) and the coloured circle length indicator.. Anyway I got through about an hour of playtime at the Gabba (batting) and finished at 5/100, and my first impressions were how seemingly random and scripted my dismissals seemed to be... bar the exception of David Warner’s snick to second slip to a half volley outside off early in his innings..

Anyways after this little play test my patch was loaded and I was prompted to install, I obliged and was very soon restarting the game up to be greeted by the “select batting and bowling controls menu” a choice between “standard” “classic” or “custom”, I surely choose standard as it was what I was used to before I lent the game to my younger brother some 12 months ago.. anyways a few clicks of the my trusty old red PS4 remote and I was immediately back out in the middle of the Gabba (batting)..

Immediately my focus was on the field radar on the top right corner of my tv screen where there was a very intuitive description of what each button on the face of my PS4 remote was for, square for “precision” x for “attacking” circle for “aggressive” and triangle for “defensive”, I quickly summarised a foolproof batting tactic for each batter of getting through the early stages of there innings with defensive and precision shots (square and triangle only) before expanding to more attacking and aggressive shots (x and circle) later on, anyways this plan was nearing fruition when I noticed Stuart broad was giving me quite a few juicy half volleys outside off which I wasn’t fully capitalising on using x (attacking) so I decided to that I had earned the right to use my tactically reserved special boundary hitting circle button (aggressive) anyways in comes old Stuart broad with that same retarded “I’m about to bowl a half volley outside off , use your circle button this time face” and so I duly obliged only for my very own digital play version of Davey Warner to literally Lollipop a catch to regulation cover much to my bewilderment.. and I thought long and hard, took a deep breath, and stopped breathing for 33 whole seconds and continued to be confused to why the circle button (aggressive) had been so easily lollipopped to cover without even the slightest hint of aggression that I had tactically anticipated, anyways as it turns out the circle button (aggressive) is the loft button not the aggressive ground shot I was anticipating and that’s very frustrating 1) because there is obviously a button combination that would of executed the “aggressive ground shot” I was expecting, and 2) because even if there is another bottom combination I’m not familiar with just yet, it would of felt a lot more intuitive if it was indeed the circle button.

That's lovely.

Anyways back to @Alberts argument that each game has been worse or buggier than dbc 14. Can you explain how a game like dbc 14 without a length indicator slider or any intuitive feedback to explain a dismissal? or can you explain why it seemed nicking was completely random and/or scripted? Or why it seemed any wicket you got while bowling or batting seemed completely scripted and/or random? Do you remember superfielders? Do you remember any of the animations? Do you remember being able to play backfoot drive to a full ball? Or a front foot shot to a short ball?

If you don’t remember any of these and/or they don’t seem like big things to you.. then I’m diagnosing you with a bad case of nostalgia! because Ashes cricket and dbc 17 remedied all these things straight out of the box, without patches! yeah they may have had a few rough edges here and there but were fixed with patches! And they were certainly better games over there predecessors visually and tactically.

I'm not sure where you got "worse" from, my point is that they're buggier, which has been the case.

DBC though did have some favourable points, notably length was more controlled by quality of control, meaning you didn't get things like DBC17's weird "quantised bowling" thing.

If we were to go through all the issues across the three games so far though, they all have some glaring ones. That's not really the point I'm trying to make though. On the whole, I'd say the direction of the game itself has been a positive, it's just not had proper QA testing in the past, that's my concern. Trying to deflect that by saying "but do you remember this issue" (without referencing any of the current issues in Ashes) is quite frankly silly.

Hell, if Ashes was completely fixed by this point, I'd have no issues. But there remain persistent issues that were never dealt with, even when reported.

Each game has improved and I have no doubt they will refine and add to this upcoming ashes game so that it’s better than the last one (which is actually pretty tweaking good) hence the review scores.

Edited by Dutch: it's not a crime to at least try and make it readable!

Again, I have zero doubts that the new game will be a solid game. I'm just concerned that they're putting out all the telltale signs of it again lacking QA work, and being a bit of a mess again, then us needing to yet again wait 6 months to a year for it to be competent, but still buggy. That'll likely be the final state for this, and it'll remain like that until Pavillion Cricket 21 or whatever rebranding they pull for the next game, is released. The cycle will begin again.

I hope I'm wrong, but BigAnt aren't doing themselves favours in this department. If we were seeing the game right now, at the very least we'd know they weren't in a mad rush to ship something. You look at series like PES or FIFA, and they have things that they can demo around early June for August/September releases. They put out demos 2 weeks to a month in advance for players to see if they like it. That last month is QA work, not a mad rush for a game to appear.

Chief

Panel of Selectors
Instill confidence in potential consumers that they've burned in the past.

I appreciate that, but at what cost and to how many consumers? The scale of FIFA and PES is incomparable - With Cricket you have to fight your battles very carefully and your best marketing tools are not necessarily the traditional ones. The anticipation element doesn't really do you many favours: pre-orders are traditionally a tiny proportion of sales. Best to keep powder dry and use every cent available in promoting a finished, brilliant and "available to buy now" game IMO.

Especially given the hugely-important-to-your-key-markets series that doesn't start for another 4 months - That's my biggest concern about this one: the release timing is very odd.

Users who are viewing this thread