Your Cricket Cricket Bats; Playability or Looks?

etho11 said:
Do you know much about Indian bats Simbazz as i have been looking at some for quite a while.
I know a little bit, i tend to be lucky enough to try out near enough all the new bats as i go to conventions were people like Indian bat makers or english ones who arnt well known go to and try to sell there products, theres a good one in Birmingham once a year but ill find out the name later and post it here for anyone who's interested.

Anyways, yeah most indian bats are very good, and they usually are HUGE, but id only say get one if your the type of player who needs the extra strength from the bat, once the ball connects sweetly itll go to the boundry, but it isnt the type of bat that can be successful for all season in England due to them not really being made to withstand much swing, you can see this by most of them having HUGE edges also.

etho11 said:
Well i am not the type of player who is going to be smacking balls over the fence due to my height and strength. So would a Globe be suited to my style of play. Another factor, is the Globe worth buying when you could spend the same money on such bats as you have said, Kookaburra Genesis.
Ok i admit im slightly biased on bats, i have used Kookaburra for a long while now and i love there bats, so i'd say yes a Kookaburra over a Globe, but its your own opinion. Globes are suited to lets say, a Andrew Strauss type player. Has the locker for big shots but likes to play it on the ground into gaps. Wereas the Kookaburra can do that but i tend to find Kook's are a little heavier.

Simbazz said:
I know a little bit, i tend to be lucky enough to try out near enough all the new bats as i go to conventions were people like Indian bat makers or english ones who arnt well known go to and try to sell there products, theres a good one in Birmingham once a year but ill find out the name later and post it here for anyone who's interested.

Anyways, yeah most indian bats are very good, and they usually are HUGE, but id only say get one if your the type of player who needs the extra strength from the bat, once the ball connects sweetly itll go to the boundry, but it isnt the type of bat that can be successful for all season in England due to them not really being made to withstand much swing, you can see this by most of them having HUGE edges also.

Ok i admit im slightly biased on bats, i have used Kookaburra for a long while now and i love there bats, so i'd say yes a Kookaburra over a Globe, but its your own opinion. Globes are suited to lets say, a Andrew Strauss type player. Has the locker for big shots but likes to play it on the ground into gaps. Wereas the Kookaburra can do that but i tend to find Kook's are a little heavier.

Have you tried the RBK Dhoni 183* before as i have seen this advertised fairly cheap before.

etho11 said:
Have you tried the RBK Dhoni 183* before as i have seen this advertised fairly cheap before.
I havent but i have used a RBK bat, and they are really similar to both Kook and Woodworm :p same applies, its just price range really, id say RBK would be less quality than the other two but no much.

How much would i be looking for a decent Woodworm Globe?

English money i think there around the ?150 mark, not sure how much that would convert to in Aussie money though :p

Simbazz said:
English money i think there around the ?150 mark, not sure how much that would convert to in Aussie money though :p

About $370-$400 i think.

Has anyone had experience with the ones of ebay.

My mate did, first season last season, so i advised one off Ebay, very good, still using it, i think its the luck of the draw, most bats will be fine, just some idiots who want a sneaky bit of money for a crap bat.

Simbazz said:
My mate did, first season last season, so i advised one off Ebay, very good, still using it, i think its the luck of the draw, most bats will be fine, just some idiots who want a sneaky bit of money for a crap bat.

What type of bat was it. Alot of my mates are buying the Hero Hondas off ebay and they have great middles.

Woah, woodworms are expensive!! :eek:
I'm happy with my Grey-Nicholls (sp:p) Rapier. Good middle, English willow, feels great. On the heavy side though. I also have an SG reliance, awesome as well, feels great when it hits the middle and light. Same bat that Dinesh Karthik uses, I think.

Well, local cricket shop has a Big Beast in stock in SH so I'm going to go try that out some time this week :)

I need some of your opinions on what bat do some of you recommend to me.

I'm not a strong guy with average height. I'm a flexable and adaptable batsmen, sometimes I open the innings to get the team off to a good start, dont try to lose my wicket and stay at the crease for as long as I can, sometimes when the team have lost quite a few wickets I come in at a pressure situation, I play the Collingwood type of innings like building a partnership, rotating the strike, taking quick singles, convert 1's into 2's, and I need a bat that can hold up for the slog overs aswell.

What do you guys recommend to me?

I'm looking to spend around ?140 on a bat, I'm a club level batsmen. I'm not bothered about the looks, playability is the one for me, light bat with light pick up, good edges with a good sweet spot. I like your descriptions of the kookaburra ice and woodwarm flame bats.

Thanks.

Last edited:
i go for the playability because i don't like it too heavy or too light, usually too light. If it too light and not made for cricket balls, then smash.

I'm well happy with my Woodworm so far, has a cracking middle, was middling the ball awesomely on saturday, hit some cracking shots. I only paid for the cheap-o woodworm though, the Pioneer, ?40 in size Harrow, bit too small but meh it looks nice :P. As long as it doesnt break in my first game :p, need to oil it now actually.

I am a massive fan of woodworms, mainly because they look so nice but i might go for an MRF or a Hero Honda when i need a new one, or just buy a decent Woodworm Globe.

Amit89 said:
I need some of your opinions on what bat do some of you recommend to me.

I'm not a strong guy with average height. I'm a flexable and adaptable batsmen, sometimes I open the innings to get the team off to a good start, dont try to lose my wicket and stay at the crease for as long as I can, sometimes when the team have lost quite a few wickets I come in at a pressure situation, I play the Collingwood type of innings like building a partnership, rotating the strike, taking quick singles, convert 1's into 2's, and I need a bat that can hold up for the slog overs aswell.

What do you guys recommend to me?

I'm looking to spend around ?140 on a bat, I'm a club level batsmen. I'm not bothered about the looks, playability is the one for me, light bat with light pick up, good edges with a good sweet spot. I like your descriptions of the kookaburra ice and woodwarm flame bats.

Thanks.

I suggest maybe trying a Slazenger. Slazenger have bats made for stroke players as yourself. Slazenegr have many ranges of bats with large bows and fantastic pick up. I would suggest the Slazenegr SXi or the Slazenger 393 Pro.

I like light bats, but I'd just pick any old thing and go to bat. I'm not too picky. Just as long as it isn't too small, it's fine. I'll get used to the weight quick enough.

Users who are viewing this thread