Cricket Games And Licensing

ryandobermann

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Do you need to invest on licence these days, when you have the cricket academy ?
Clearly, Cricket Academy has made mockery of the licence. :yes

If Cricket Academy really makes a mockery of the licenses ...Then why doesn't EA just make a Football academy for FIFA or other developers use similar academies for their games opposed to licensing ??

point is the cricket academy is a brilliant tool to deal with the license problem but it's really hard to make the players look real ... While some players look pretty good, others players really look off ... I couldn't find a single Chris Gayle that really had all his features ... The One I have looks more like snoop dogg with sun glasses lol
There's few I've seen looks more like Monty panaser ...

Professional developers are the best for this job ...
Plus licensing will give us real stadiums , kits , logos and commentary names ...
Cricket academy doesn't let you invent the actual kits the players use or the stadiums ...

So Cricket Academy is a great substitute tool and addition which I appreciate but I don't think it makes a mockery off licenses ...

It'd be best if we had both the cricket academy and licenses ...

grkrama

National Board President
Its only because CA doesnt support importing images for sponsors logo due to censoring issues , BA being a small team that issue exits.

Also the face gen can also support image based face models probably in next iteration its not a big issue getting likeness of players.

Also professional dev's however good they are going to do the model only once unlike a CA author who will change Dhoni's or KP's hairstyle if they change.

Leave CA look at the models done for C07 without proper tools they are far superior to what EA professionals created.

Apart from stadiums i think every thing else can be covered by this model, it has a good scope, Even better, think about this version of CA being carried over to the next iteration of DBC, the player models will grow larger and better over time.Not start from scratch n build.

Im seriously waiting for someone like PES also to do this snub EA a bit then we will know what happens.

Last edited:

lion100lion

International Coach
Professional developers are the best for this job ...
Plus licensing will give us real stadiums , kits , logos and commentary names ...
Cricket academy doesn't let you invent the actual kits the players use or the stadiums ...
Do you know I (and most of the cricket fans) will be more interested in playing in a game with Lasith Malinga's action (or Sunil Narine or Jhonson...etc), than their face, commentary name or any of their kit.

I know CA can't make such specific bowling actions, but can the purchased licence do it ?
The answer is No.

Thank you very much...

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

Interesting, though I'd still like to see those figures from some sort of official sources.

Also of note is that the ranks are based on the number of viewers and not how many countries are actually interested in the sport. I reckon at least 50-60% of those numbers constitute viewers from the sub-continent and that alone can't be considered as a benchmark. It should be globally appealing.

Cricket is not a major sport ???

I don't consider cricket a major sport because only a handful of countries play it. If you take them out, I'm pretty sure the number of people playing the sport would be negligible.

ryandobermann

School Cricketer
Do you know I (and most of the cricket fans) will be more interested in playing in a game with Lasith Malinga's action (or Sunil Narine or Jhonson...etc), than their face, commentary name or any of their kit.

I know CA can't make such specific bowling actions, but can the purchased licence do it ?
The answer is No.

Thank you very much...

What a dope ... I don't know why u even started a argument on the bowling action when this conversation had nothing to do with it in the first place .

1. " Do you know I(and most of the cricket fans) will be more interested in playing in a game with L Malinga's action ...

Answer :

Like I said this argument wasn't even about their bowling action it was about CA making licensing look like a joke =p .... And yes I know cricket fans want the bowling actions and etc because I'm one of those cricket fans that really wants a cricket game to be as authentic as possible . I've been playing FIFA for years and have seen the additions year after year, how realistic it's become ... And I've always kept wishing/saying to my self , when will we get a cricket game like this with these features !

2. " I know CA can't make such specific bowling actions , but can the purchased license do it ? The answer is NO "

Answer :

License allow for the player names&likenesses , kits&logos , Competitions ...
So why on earth would you not be interested in licenses ????

If you have the license off course you can use the players playing style ... Like user: ChaitS already mention to you in a post >>>> License isn't a thing which allows a gamer maker to use only real names. Players' likeness(faces, style, body language), official logos are permitted to use along with real names and possibly the product title under the professional license from an International organization.
STYLE : BOWLING STYLE & BATTING STYLE !!!
Whether the developers want to invest in time on it is another question ...

I'm sure DB Cricket could off got some cricket bowlers to mimic the bowling styles for each player and then used the animations in the game for each players and same for the batting ... Maybe they may do it in the future I don't know ...
But look at current FIFA Games for example >>> C.Ronaldo looks, plays, runs and kicks like the way he does in real life on the game ... So in my opinion it just adds to the excitement ...

To conclude this , I never once said I don't like CA or don't want it ...

I said it doesn't make a mockery off the licensing and I'd prefer Licensing along with the CA tool ...
Again to make it even more clearer >>> I prefer LICENSING and Cricket Academy both ...

I've always been a fan of licensing just makes it more authentic in my opinion .

Last edited:

ryandobermann

School Cricketer
Its only because CA doesnt support importing images for sponsors logo due to censoring issues , BA being a small team that issue exits.

Fair enough logo's aren't that important but a nice to have addition to have and if we can't due to licensing then that's fine .

Also the face gen can also support image based face models probably in next iteration its not a big issue getting likeness of players.

IF and only IF they do add this feature then that's great =] !

Also professional dev's however good they are going to do the model only once unlike a CA author who will change Dhoni's or KP's hairstyle if they change.

However good professionals are they only really need to do it once and in almost all cases their stock model will always be better then ours that's why they are professionals champ ... It's their job ...
I rather have a real life model of Chris Gayle ( or other players) that looks like him(them) opposed to having a Chris Gayle who looks like snoop dogg / Monty Panesar who's hair I can change time to time .

But like I said a many times already on this thread .... I like Cricket Academy keep this tool + but I want the licensing done .

Eg. Look at Fifa they are all licensed and also they have added a similar tool called creation center ... Also they update everything each week , stats and etc of all the players ... SO licensing and Cricket academy can work side by side !!!

So my point is pro dev's can give us a licensed modeled players at the start of the game ... And with CA we can edit the hair or download the update to keep it like real life .... and if something goes wrong then press the reset default button which gets all the players back to factory default .

Leave CA look at the models done for C07 without proper tools they are far superior to what EA professionals created.

Off course ... EA Cricket 07 was being made like in 06 that's 8 years ago ...
Technology evolves champ !
And who ever did the modelling I'm sure are programmers or knowledge/background on the topic and did it in their spare times to improve the game...

Most of it was being done in India , Bangladesh , Pakistan to resell the game with the updated patches ..
Eg. EA cricket PEPSI IPL ...
I know for a fact because I went to Bangladesh and I went shopping and I saw these patched games being sold under these names.

But there were people like you and me playing EA07 and MOD'ing the game and updating it and adding mods year after year to improve the game and give us a authentic feel to it .

Again technology evolves ! So each year the mods got better and better with newer programs ...

Give EA Cricket Academy now and see what they can do and then you have a case ;)

----------

It had the names, but as far as I could tell it didn't actually have the licenses for them. Neither did EA - which is why you had fake logos or national flags for most teams - and the official team logos for only a few in the EA games and none in BLC99.

I'm not sure of the circumstances - maybe @Chief might have an idea what was going on back then.

EA had licenses ...

EA 2004 :

Full licenses from the PCB, ECB, NZ Cricket and the South African Cricket team.

EA 2005 : Licences: Australia, NZ, South Africa and England fully licensed

EA 2007 :

EA Sports lost the licensing for most of the teams for Cricket 07. Only Australia, England, South Africa and New Zealand licensed player names and kits. All other team names are generic, however can be edited in the Team Management option or with a roster.

----------

I don't consider cricket a major sport because only a handful of countries play it. If you take them out, I'm pretty sure the number of people playing the sport would be negligible.

You still haven't told me what 5 sports you consider more major then cricket ???

Excluding Football ( Soccer ) !!!

Please answer I really want to hear what you have to say since your still arguing this case .... GIVE ME THE ANSWER !!! =]

----------

You still haven't told me what 5 sports you consider more major then cricket ???

Excluding Football ( Soccer ) !!!

Please answer I really want to hear what you have to say since your still arguing this case .... GIVE ME THE ANSWER !!! =]

Last edited:

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Please answer I really want to hear what you have to say since your still arguing this case .... GIVE ME THE ANSWER !!!]

You know, I really would love to but you just don't seem to be in a mood to have a nice debate. It's a pity because I was looking forward to one.

NoLeName

PlanetCricket Writing Team
For video games, it's not about the popularity of the sport. It's about the market for a video game portraying said sport. And the market for cricket video games is a lot smaller than the overall market for cricket.

Chief

Panel of Selectors
Only just discovered this thread. I could be wrong on this (I'm no lawyer) but here's my take on it.

Firstly, a license is permission (an endorsement) to use someone else's IP. IE: "we promise not to sue you for using them in the way we direct". Sometimes there is money involved, and others not: it's just an agreement. If EA wanted to put my likeness/name in FIFA, they could do that.
I could sue them and a court would decide if I had a case, if EA had basically unfairly profited from my being in it. Chances are, when you compare resources and legal teams, I probably wouldn't take the risk. :)

The reason all those early games had all the right player and team names was because games weren't considered something that could make money, so no-one bothered getting permission. Even football games up to the mid-nineties sometimes didn't have official licenses: they just used them.
If it was a headline player (IE the player's name was in the game title) then they would have an endorsement deal, but otherwise it just wasn't done.
I think EA were the first to really start securing licenses in a big way around that time, and companies suddenly realised they should be making money from it so it filtered down to other sports. Cricket was never a big money-spinner so
it took a bit longer (I'm actually unsure how long, as I only started on Cricket games in the mid 2000s, but by then they were mandatory).

I know Lara 05 and 07 had the ICC license which let us use real players inside the tournaments that were licensed (World Cup and Champion's trophy) but outside of those modes I *think* names were generic...

Not sure about EA, but I think that they had individual boards licensed (as someone else had noted), which meant they could do domestic cricket, internationals etc.

AFAIK the IPL has never been licensed for console, but I've seen Mobile games with it in I think.

Frostyvegi

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Going off my memory of playing NBA games back in the early-mid 1990's, two particular players were often missed from the rosters, Michael Jordan and Shaquel O'Neal. I can't remember exactly, but it was either a) the high likelyhood that these two would sue for non-licensed use of their names/likenessess, or b) their rights were not held by the NBA Players Association.

-edit-

Sorry, was MJ and Charles Barkley actually.

Last edited:

Chief

Panel of Selectors
Going off my memory of playing NBA games back in the early-mid 1990's, two particular players were often missed from the rosters, Michael Jordan and Shaquel O'Neal. I can't remember exactly, but it was either a) the high likelyhood that these two would sue for non-licensed use of their names/likenessess, or b) their rights were not held by the NBA Players Association.

-edit-

Sorry, was MJ and Charles Barkley actually.

Yeah - come to think of it Basketball was probably first to go - Individual players. Michael Jordan was the first guy to REALLY go for the endorsement thing with Nike (and Pepsi. And a car. And etc etc!)
Pretty sure around that time there was a Gameboy game with those two as headline players (may have been Larry Bird, come to think of it) so as they were being paid to lend their names to another game, it would make sense not to have them appear in another...

Frostyvegi

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Pretty sure around that time there was a Gameboy game with those two as headline players (may have been Larry Bird, come to think of it)

Jordan vs Bird.. yeah, had it on PC. Same with the game Lakers Vs Bulls.. and Lakers vs Celtics.. god, EGA graphics and the PC speaker sound.. brings back the memories.. unfortunately. Hypercolour T-shirt anyone?

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
There are basketball games other than NBA Jam? Learn something new every day.

Chief

Panel of Selectors
Case in point - Just looking at the new "Stick Cricket" game called "Stick Cricket Premier League".

Wonder about their licensing: they are using generic tournament/team names, but the real player names...

ryandobermann

School Cricketer
You know, I really would love to but you just don't seem to be in a mood to have a nice debate. It's a pity because I was looking forward to one.

pity I was really hoping for a nice debate too instead all I get is an excuse =/
not trying to be rude but I don't think you can come up with 5. sports more major then cricket excluding soccer ...

I can just think the other sport that comes close and can be debated with is Tennis ...

But most stats and charts I've seen Its Soccer (no debate) first place

and most of the times cricket is number 2 or 3 ...

Users who are viewing this thread