Cricket neck protection

JohnPedruco

School Cricketer
Hello, I am a design student in California, America. I heard about the Australian Cricket batsman Phillip Hughes' tragic accident of being hit in the neck from a bouncer, despite wearing a helmet.

As part of my assignment I would like to ask you if you had ideas for how to protect the neck of the batsman in case of an accident like this where a batsman swings too soon and turns his head. I've only begun understanding the sport myself and I'd like to educate my classmates about it too, so please feel free to treat me like a newbie :) I am genuinely interested in this sport's rules and history.
Masuri recently announced extra protection called the "stem guard" but it does not protect the entire neck:
MASURI REVEALS NEW SAFETY HELMET ‘STEMGUARD

What do you think about that?

I understand so far from interviews of Cricket players that such a device would need to be lightweight, have vents to exhaust heat, allow maximum mobility, and shouldn't be ugly.

Thank you for your time and I hope we can think of some good ideas. I'll start by presenting some neck protection of other sports and tell me what you think.

Hockey neck guards
Neck Guards

Able to protect from hockey sticks, hockey pucks and ice skates.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Eh, the common discussion amongst most doctors, media and players that have been interviewed about this horrible event is it was a freak accident and a culmination of such extraordinarily unlikely events that most players understand it's just a horrible, tragic event that is unlikely to occur again. It's not like bowlers are actively trying to aim balls at a specific part of a batsman's head or anything. So it's not likely to occur again.

It's really just a matter of batting coaches instructing their players to duck and avoid shorter balls correctly by keeping their eye on the ball for as long as possible.

If it was a genuine problem that players were concerned about, you'd have a seen a response long before now and/or helmet companies not trying to profit from it.

Users who are viewing this thread