Dave Richardson - Future of Bilateral Tours in Doubt, 2-Tier Test League Being Looked At

PokerAce

Banned
David Richardson concerned for future of bilateral series | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Dave Richardson says that barring iconic series like the Ashes and those that involve India, the other series are no generating enough revenue.

Apart from series such as the Ashes - which has an iconic, traditional status - and series between India and the top Full Members, many bilateral series are perceived as having little relevance," Richardson told ESPNcricinfo in London. "Attendances in most series, especially for Test cricket, have fallen and the revenues generated from these series are not growing."

Despite bilateral series struggling to compete with the T20 leagues around the world especially IPL, Big Bash and CPL (and with England all set to launch a major City Based T20 league), the numbers for all major ICC Tournaments have gone up.

The interest in and value of ICC events such as the World Cup, the Champions Trophy and World Twenty20 has grown significantly over the last eight years or so.

Richardson talks about giving context to the bilateral series as a way of increasing interest, and one way he proposes to do so is by way of a two-tier test league, (Fking epic idea, just do it already !!) and to have more ODI tri-series, instead of bilateral series at opportune times.

We are just in discussions at the moment. Michael Holding has spoken about a Test league of two divisions, others have previously suggested a six-and-four teams format. But first the principles and then the detail needs to be debated and agreed. I think it is achievable if all the Full Members think it is worthwhile and want it to happen.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Okay, so let's work with that idea. Where do you draw the line for the top tier? Six teams? And what about the second tier - does that include Afghanistan and Ireland? The 'Big Three' boards are likely to implement some means by which they cannot be relegated, because TV rights.

I would suggest something a little bit different, but retaining the idea of a Test league, which I do think is necessary if Test cricket outside a few countries is to have any worthwhile future; I think that such a league should have twelve teams, with promotion and relegation.

:saf: South Africa (1) (:up:)
:aus: Australia (2) (:up:)
:pak: Pakistan (3) (:up:)
:nzf: New Zealand (4) (:up:)

:ind: India (5) (:up:)
:eng: England (6) (:up:)
:sri: Sri Lanka (7)
:wi: West Indies (8)

:ban: Bangladesh (9)
:zim: Zimbabwe (10)
:ire: Ireland (11) (:down:)
:afg: Afghanistan (12) (:down:)

By seeding the twelve teams in order of their world rankings, you can split them into three pools of four, solely for scheduling purposes.

Then, during the four-year cycle, each team has to play a three-match series at home against one team from each of the three pools, and a three-match series away against a team from each of the three pools. This would still leave teams with plenty of time to schedule series outside the WTC programme, and ensure that each team played the same number, and a relatively similar standard, of Test matches in the WTC league stage.

Once that's done, the top six teams go into a tournament at the end of the cycle - the WTC Finals, while the bottom two teams are replaced by the top two teams from the Intercontinental Cup, which becomes the second tier of the Test game, rather than a quaint pass-time for Associate and Affiliate teams.

PokerAce

Banned
Okay, so let's work with that idea. Where do you draw the line for the top tier? Six teams? And what about the second tier - does that include Afghanistan and Ireland? The 'Big Three' boards are likely to implement some means by which they cannot be relegated, because TV rights.

Ideally it would be six team, but to be fair I really don't see a six team top tier league working (with 4 and a few associates in 2nd tier).

The reasons -

1. No Money for Tier 2 -

The trouble with a two-tier system is that we all know that all the money will be with the top-tier, and the second tier will be starved of both money and global TV rights. With teams like WI struggling financially already, just think of the blow that will be for them. It will be a serious case of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.

While the upside is that it will make a tier 1 slot even more coveted, but it would kill teams in tier 2.

If it was a one year thing, where by WI could get promoted easily at the end of year and atleast be a yo-yo team, fluctuating between the two tiers in alternate years, then one could perhaps make a case for their finances. One year they will be starved of money, but next year they will be right in the mix. However the league will realistically last 3 years to complete one season. So can teams like WI who are already struggling to pay the players financially really afford to be in tier 2 for 3 years. I think that blow will be just too much. The same goes for Zimbabwe. Right now Zimbabwe don't get too much test cricket anyway but they are treated at par with the big boys, if they were to go down to div 2, with no realistic shot at promotion anytime, that could seriously kill cricket in Zimbabwe.

2. Promotions and Relegation would be a Sham

As you rightly said, 3 of the 6 teams competing will ask for no relegation stipulation. So that really leaves 3 teams with something to lose. Also imagine if the two of the big three did end up in the relegation slots, and didn't get relegated, there would be no promotion. I mean one cannot force teams above them to be relegated. In turn that will imply no promotions from tier 2 either and that will be a big blow for say WI, who were ready to get promoted, but can't so now have to continue to remain in tier 2, and take a step towards bankruptcy.

The alternative is you tell the big three to shut up, and take relegation. However if that happens then money in tier 1 gets a serious hit. Just picture if India got relegated, then the money goes away, the sponsors go away, tier 1 suddenly loses a billion viewers and a billion customers, something that is hardly going to thrill any broadcaster. Could Tier 1 afford to take that hit?

I would suggest something a little bit different, but retaining the idea of a Test league, which I do think is necessary if Test cricket outside a few countries is to have any worthwhile future; I think that such a league should have twelve teams, with promotion and relegation.

I agree with you here, that more than 6 teams are required to make the league meaningful. I would personally say 10 teams (the present 10 test teams) start. Tier 2 could have 5 or 6 of the best associate nations. The target would be that each team plays every other team for one series home and one series away. How many tests would be in one series can still be left to the two boards in question, but should not be less than 3 (ideally), but could be 2 if its more practical. Points shall be given for series results and not individual tests. So if a team wins a series it gets 3 points, a draw series gets 1 point and a loss naturally gets not point.

Promotion and relegation - Can work as neither of the big three will realistically be in a chance of relegation. Since tier two has only 5 or 6 teams, only 1 slot should be open for promotion and thus 1 relegation slot. Teams rotate every cycle, its makes it easier for the associates to get test status, as there is no arbitrariness involved, if you are good enough to qualify you play with the big boys. No more nonsense of ICC deciding who all can play test cricket, by a method which no one quite fully understands. In '99 WC B'desh beat Pakistan and that was good enough to get them test status, but in '03 WC Kenya got to the SFs and still no test status. Work that out somebody.

This would still leave teams with plenty of time to schedule series outside the WTC programme

Why schedule series outside of test champions, as all series can fit within the league. The Ashes for Instance, Eng and Aus can (as explained above) decide that their matches will be five tests each and that will be the Ashes. Both sides can go all out to win, and at the same time points for the win will also add to the league total.

There done. Easy :P

Jokes apart, I am really keen for this to happen, but hopefully ICC don't completely butcher it. An alternative is as you said a 3-tier system. 4 teams 3 divisions (10 test sides and Ireland and Afhghanistan), and each team in the tier plays everyone else, and 1 relegation and promotion from each division to the next tier. With just 4 teams in a division, the leagues could all end a lot faster and still be exciting.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
as you said a 3-tier system. 4 teams 3 divisions (10 test sides and Ireland and Afhghanistan), and each team in the tier plays everyone else, and 1 relegation and promotion from each division to the next tier. With just 4 teams in a division, the leagues could all end a lot faster and still be exciting.
This is actually pretty much the opposite of what I'd said, but it could still be exciting.

PokerAce

Banned
This is actually pretty much the opposite of what I'd said, but it could still be exciting.

Yeah I meant how you said divide teams in pools of three (albeit we went different ways from thereon).

The more I think about it, the more I feel 3-tier league is actually the best. The only issue could be that if Eng and Aus are not in the same division then how will the Ashes work that season.

With just six series required to finish each league, one season can be finished in a year to a year and a half's period. Two promotion from tier 2 to tier 1.

Also I think finances in tier 2 (in case of a 3-tier league) can still be fine. 3rd - tier will still struggle though, but then a team only has to spend a year and a half max in tier 3 (if they are good enough of course).

Especially with the season closing quickly and there being a promotion at the end of it soon. Also the big three will not have a problem with relegation at least upto tier 2. For relegation and promotion to tier 2 to tier 3, the bottom team has a play-off against the top team of tier 3, and if hte tier 3 team wins only then there are any promtions and relegations between tier 2 and tier 3.

This should give the big three ample protection, without being too unreasonable on anyone else and thus make the league work.

Last edited:
S

Satan666

Dont have time to read the article in full but always liked the idea of a teir system for test cricket, seems most feasible option:

Tier 1

New Zealand
South Africa
Australia
England
Sri Lanka

Tier 2

West Indies
India
Pakistan
Bangladesh
Ireland
Zimbabwe

Explore the possibility of a combined team from the likes of Afg and others in tier 2.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Just chuck out the IPL and have a Test Championship in that time. Two tiers 6/6 or 7/7 and bottom two from tier 1 relegated for top two teams in tier 2. After that have test series throughout the year...

PokerAce

Banned
Just chuck out the IPL and have a Test Championship in that time. Two tiers 6/6 or 7/7 and bottom two from tier 1 relegated for top two teams in tier 2. After that have test series throughout the year...

How can a test championship be held in one and a half months. Also what do you mean chuck out IPL. That doesn't even make sense.

Not that IPL bashing is not done to the point that is become boring to be honest, but why scratch IPL, why not scratch Big Bash, or CPL, or BPL or the UK T20 thing they do, or Ram Slam. What about the IPL is it that makes it the ultimate barrier to a Test Championship, and scrapping it is thus necessary to have a test championship and there is no other possible way that it would work?

Also how will chucking out a domestic championship help in anyway. Its like saying chuck out Ranji Trophy and hold the test championship in then. Makes no sense.

Also if the test championship is somehow held, somehow held in 1 and a half months, what the hell will world cricket do for ... you know ... the rest of the fking year.

Unless you are thinking of test cricket happening in two parts - one a test championship, and 2) outside of the test championship bilateral tours happen.

What is the point of bilateral tours outside of the test championship. Test championship can happen throughout the year, and the series as part of the test championships will replace bilateral tours. There is no room of bilater tours to happen outside of a multi-layed test championship.

Last edited:

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
The IPL is held when next to no cricket is happening so it would be the ideal time to hold it as there isnt any domestic cricket other then an overpraised T20 competition. There is no cricket before the IPL as far as I'm aware so it could start earlier and you could still have bilateral tours. Just because there is a One Day WC doesnt mean we must chuck ODIs out. Keeping bilateral tours could keep Ashes/ Ind-Pak series without having to push them into a tournament...

PokerAce

Banned
The IPL is held when next to no cricket is happening so it would be the ideal time to hold it as there isnt any domestic cricket other then an overpraised T20 competition. There is no cricket before the IPL as far as I'm aware so it could start earlier and you could still have bilateral tours. Just because there is a One Day WC doesnt mean we must chuck ODIs out. Keeping bilateral tours could keep Ashes/ Ind-Pak series without having to push them into a tournament...

When Eng-Aus face each other in the test champions, they will be the ashes. Just like the winning of Ashes now add points to the Test Championship table, winning the Ashes will have the effect of a proper derby as the points from there will go towards points also on the table.

Also the analogy of WC and Bilateral ODIs doesnt work. The whole point of the test championship, that too in the form of a league is to replace Bilateral tours. Thats why a 2 tier championship is even being contemplated, because Bilateral tours are not working. So if a test championship happens it will replace bilateral tours, not to run side by side.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Explore the possibility of a combined team from the likes of Afg and others in tier 2.

this is an incredibly dumb idea and it would hurt the development of cricket in countries such as afghanistan

i wouldn't support an "associates bar ireland xi" despite the fact that a fair few of the players would by scots because i frankly find it a rather patronising concept: its literally saying to most of the world "you come from a country that's too feeble and too poor test for cricket, you don't deserve to have a national team" and that's a feeling that i greatly resent. especially when you say this to a team that most likely would have won the most recent competition involving all of the associates had rain not intervened (admittedly, a T20 one) and one that has a team that can stand up to the amazing almighty ireland on their day.

S

Satan666

this is an incredibly dumb idea and it would hurt the development of cricket in countries such as afghanistan

i wouldn't support an "associates bar ireland xi" despite the fact that a fair few of the players would by scots because i frankly find it a rather patronising concept: its literally saying to most of the world "you come from a country that's too feeble and too poor test for cricket, you don't deserve to have a national team" and that's a feeling that i greatly resent. especially when you say this to a team that most likely would have won the most recent competition involving all of the associates had rain not intervened (admittedly, a T20 one) and one that has a team that can stand up to the amazing almighty ireland on their day.
The West Indies team at present consist of nations with different Heads of State, admittedly the original team had a singular Head in the colonial days.

As I posted before it can be explored since I can't see any of those Associates being awarded test status in the next 25 yrs or so. So why deprive some of the best players in the world the opportunity to play test cricket? Is it because the English want to continue integrating them into their side?

Users who are viewing this thread