Solutions to Cricket's Economic & Scheduling Problems

Broken Cricket Dreams

School Cricketer
Cricket Fans, how would YOU fix cricket?
Both the and Tests showed us that the longest form of the game is still valuable in the modern world. With T20 leagues growing and the financial & scheduling conflicts at an-time high, here are my 14 Points for the survival of cricket in the modern era:

1. Creation of the Test Match Fund
2. Establishment of Minimum Test Match Fees
3. Introduction of Test Windows
4. Abolishment of the Bilateral ODI Series
5. Abolishment of the Bilateral T20I Series
6. Transforming the 2-year WTC cycle into a Concentrated Test WC
7. Two-tiered Test League with Relegation and Promotion
8. Four Day 3-Match Test series instead of 2-Match Series
9. Advertising Revenue and ICC Funding for County Cricket & other domestic tournaments
10. Mandatory Practice Matches with Similar Pitches
11. Revival of the ODI Super League, Revamping of Qualification/Ranking Systems
12. Staggered ODI & T20I World Cups Every 2 Years
13. Maximum Leagues Cap for Nationally Contracted Players
14. Re-Establish Champions League, Limit Expansion of the IPL.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
1. Creation of the Test Match Fund
2. Establishment of Minimum Test Match Fees
3. Introduction of Test Windows
No! Cannot help it. Boards need to invest and ensure the best players play the game. Minimum Test match fees cannot be coughed up by everyone. For some, Test matches aren't the priority. Introduction of a window is impossible- it cannot help, cause the audience has shifted gears.
4. Abolishment of the Bilateral ODI Series
5. Abolishment of the Bilateral T20I Series
Partially yes to the 1st one. Agree to the 2nd. International T20 should not be played at all, bar the Olympics and World Cups.
6. Transforming the 2-year WTC cycle into a Concentrated Test WC
7. Two-tiered Test League with Relegation and Promotion
8. Four Day 3-Match Test series instead of 2-Match Series
WTC needs to be a 4 year cycle with promotion and relegation. I do not mind 4 day test matches/ Super Tests continuing into the night as well. Bring on the rest of the squad and play with the 15 as opposed to 11 (rotate them like Super Subs)
9. Advertising Revenue and ICC Funding for County Cricket & other domestic tournaments
Why would the ICC interfere in domestic tournaments?
10. Mandatory Practice Matches with Similar Pitches
Don't get how this can revive the game?
11. Revival of the ODI Super League, Revamping of Qualification/Ranking Systems
For this to work, they need to zero down and agree to the World Cup format for the next 3 editions. That will help devise the Qualification/ODI super league criterion. The rankings have always been a load of tosh. IMO, if they have the WTC, they need to get rid of the Test rankings. Both cannot co-exist.
12. Staggered ODI & T20I World Cups Every 2 Years
Ideal scenario is to have both on a 4 year cycle like they did from 2016. But, the ICC failed to plus the gap with anything meaningful. Had India and Pakistan not squared off the the Oval Final (ICC CT 2017), that would very well have been the end of the tournament.
13. Maximum Leagues Cap for Nationally Contracted Players
This is a matter for individual boards to decide. The BCCI has done so. Cannot expect everyone else to do so, else they will end up in a situation like WICB.
14. Re-Establish Champions League, Limit Expansion of the IPL.
The window for the Champions League and its logistics will be highly debated. Unlike FIFA, cricket has a different league structure. Hence, having a Champions League every 2 years might not work, they will have to do it every year.

Limiting expansion of the IPL- truth be told, I see the IPL booming towards a 2 -tier structure with 16 teams atleast. They may have a promotion relegation mechanism herein. Also, I'd like to see someone who is suggest it to the BCCI- not gonna end well for them.

Last edited:

Broken Cricket Dreams

School Cricketer
No! Cannot help it. Boards need to invest and ensure the best players play the game. Minimum Test match fees cannot be coughed up by everyone. For some, Test matches aren't the priority. Introduction of a window is impossible- it cannot help, cause the audience has shifted gears.

Partially yes to the 1st one. Agree to the 2nd. International T20 should not be played at all, bar the Olympics and World Cups.

WTC needs to be a 4 year cycle with promotion and relegation. I do not mind 4 day test matches/ Super Tests continuing into the night as well. Bring on the rest of the squad and play with the 15 as opposed to 11 (rotate them like Super Subs)

Why would the ICC interfere in domestic tournaments?

Don't get how this can revive the game?

For this to work, they need to zero down and agree to the World Cup format for the next 3 editions. That will help devise the Qualification/ODI super league criterion. The rankings have always been a load of tosh. IMO, if they have the WTC, they need to get rid of the Test rankings. Both cannot co-exist.

Ideal scenario is to have both on a 4 year cycle like they did from 2016. But, the ICC failed to plus the gap with anything meaningful. Had India and Pakistan not squared off the the Oval Final (ICC CT 2017), that would very well have been the end of the tournament.

This is a matter for individual boards to decide. The BCCI has done so. Cannot expect everyone else to do so, else they will end up in a situation like WICB.

The window for the Champions League and its logistics will be highly debated. Unlike FIFA, cricket has a different league structure. Hence, having a Champions League every 2 years might not work, they will have to do it every year.

Limiting expansion of the IPL- truth be told, I see the IPL booming towards a 2 -tier structure with 16 teams atleast. They may have a promotion relegation mechanism herein. Also, I'd like to see someone who is suggest it to the BCCI- not gonna end well for them.
Thanks for the thoughtful response!

Right - The minimum Test fees cannot be coughed up by everybody, so the ICC needs to step in to pay the balance so everyone starts at the same place.

Fair point of the Test match window. There needs to be something done to fix scheduling. At the moment, it is free for all.

Broken Cricket Dreams

School Cricketer
I like the WTC 4-year cycle. It would need some incentive for teams that get knocked out early on.

For the domestic tournament, the example I was thinking of was the Hundred vs County Cricket. Since the domestic board is pushing the Hundred, the England crowd's attention in peak summer has been diverted. Counties are not a good financial situation, so ownership is beginning to change hands/franchises are coming in. For a strong test game, a strong domestic circuit is necessary, so if domestic teams are struggling financially, ICC needs to assess the situation.

Interesting point about the IPL. Would the second tier be played at the same time or would it be spread throughout the year?

In any case, thanks for the fruitful conversations. My detailed views on each of these points are written here: https://bit.ly/3SzGxHQ

Users who are viewing this thread