Your Cricket Difficulty in playing leg side..help needed

coolz_hari

International Coach
Hello i love playing cricket in the field off the field. I am Right handed batsman.
My batting number is usually 2 or 4.
I am not a hitter .i like to play tests rather than ODI.
I am a better player of fast bowling when i play off side but when ever i want to play pull shot / hook shot/ flick/ back foot drive .Ball hits my pads /shoes/even my face also.

I hold my bat complete down .My friends told me that is the reason why i am unable to play on side properly. They asked me to hold bat a bit upper. I tried that also. I feel awkward to start again.

Please some explain me the correct way to get more runs on side

Thank you

Last edited:

coolz_hari

International Coach
Use your legs more? Wrong place btw(your cricket).

i am sorry .i thought we can discuss about personal cricketing problems also.

coolz_hari added 4 Minutes and 8 Seconds later...

Use your legs more? Wrong place btw(your cricket).

yeah..i tried to stay away from the crease to pick up as a full toss /full length .but, i think i am taking either too early or too late so i am end up by ball hitting my legs .i was dropped from top order because of this problem. i want to know perfect holding of the bat .which one is suggested a moderate player like me bottom hand grip or top hand grip?

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Request a Mod to 'Move ' this.

To your problem,try shadow practice and maybe there might be a problem with your stance.
You could try the Chanderpaul stance too.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hold the bat higher on the handle, and don't commit to the front foot too early. I usually have the same problem, I'm either always on the front foot or back foot. On the front foot, by the time you realise it is a short ball to put away on the legside, it's too late to get in position.

As for legside in general, maybe it is because your aren't clearing your left leg and often end up playing around your pads? You don't neccesarily need to clear your left leg out of the way, just don't end up playing across it.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
^exactly my thoughts. Try and stay still and wait for the ball to come to you. If you commit too early you will always risk playing across the line. Do not try and be forceful. Try to use your wrists more than your forearms for glances. Hope that helps.

Sartaj

Panel of Selectors
i too had a similar problem.
try watching the ball on to the bat and don't make any trigger movements.
stay still and watch the ball all the time.
keep these two things in mind and let me know if it worked or not.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
As Zorax said, you're probably playing around your front pad too much. You could do with opening your stance a little, and maybe watching some clips of some of the professionals that are excellent on the leg-side. I know that watching alot of Ravi Bopara helped my leg-side play immensely.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Try incorporating a trigger movement if you are having difficulties playing on the leg-side, it helped me a lot.

Leepy

School Cricketer
The key is to have good balance, watch the ball onto the bat and not to try and hit the ball too hard - let the ball come onto you. Also, try to play with as straight a bat as possible, and use your hands to glance the ball through the onside.

max_dillon2007

School Cricketer
Yeah, you also have a strong bottom hand grip like me. Key here is to change your grip according to the shots. So if you wish to play flicks of your pad, all you have to do is just loosen your right hand grip on the bat and let the ball come to you. Inside 5 or 10 miutes practising you'll master the flick of your pads. AS far as hook or pull shot is concerned, there might be two problems with you ,either you are commiting too early on frontfoot or you are reading the length of the ball very late. Former can be corrected by not commiting too early on frontfoot unless you are sloggin, while latter could be corrected by keeping eyes on the ball and trying to read the length early.

Users who are viewing this thread