Digital vs. Disc (or...PAL and SDTVs)

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Before people beat me down over this, I am aware that the PS3 version of the game is region-free. My NTSC system will play the PAL disc absolutely fine. My issue stems from the fact that my NTSC-only SDTV is connected to my PS3 via RCA. It won't display the game, even though the PS3 itself is running it.

I won't have the problem with an HDTV via an HDMI connection as it negates the PAL/NTSC issue when it comes to games. But I really can't see myself getting rid of my regular SDTV when nothing's wrong with it just for the sake of being able to play a game. I do plan to get one in the future, but funds won't allow that just yet.

My question is would the digital version of the game from the Playstation Store give the same problem? I would assume it won't, since it would be my regional Playstation Store I'd be downloading it from. But before I spend my US$60 I'd like to be absolutely certain.

Can anyone help me out on this one?

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
My friend you are in luck. This is the trick I found on a forum somewhere to play AC 09 on my SDTV way back in 2009. I am assuming this trick should work now as well...

So if you bought the game in USA and have a standard Definition TV, the game will give you a Video Output error. There is a fix to this and it requires a little Disc Swapping

ok so here is what you do:

1. Put in Resistance: Fall of Man (NTSC)
2. Start a Single Player Campaign Mission
3. Press Start to Pause the game
4. Press Eject on PS3 and swap the game with Ashes Cricket 2009
5. then go down to Where it says "Save and Quit" on the Menu
6. Ashes is going to boot up.

Ashes is a Sweet Game but requires an HDMI connection in USA to work, this little trick makes it work on a standard Def. TV for us people who dont have a HDTV or dont have a HDMI cable

P.S. - Keep in mind this approach only works with the original Resistance game and not Resistance 2 or 3. Also, the risk is that PS3 firmware has closed the loophole exploited by the fix. But if you are a hardcore cricket gaming fan you can always hold on to your copy of the game till you get a HDMI TV even if the trick doesn't work with the latest firmware.

Last edited:

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Alright well if that's the only way to go and nobody else can tell me if the digital copy will work...I'll wait until Christmas when I buy myself an HDTV...

Thanks for the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread