ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Was a frustrating game to watch tonight. Estonia defended very well, they just blocked everything we threw at them (apart from Rooney's FK of course). They were absolutely terrible going forward though.

Wilshere was MOTM in my opinion, such energy on and off the ball. His passing was very good too.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Will be hard to judge anything from any of ENG matches in these qualifiers conclusively i think, other than the return match vs Switzerland to be frank. All these teams will park the bus & ENG will be forced to try and break them down.

Trying to perfect the diamond thus might become useless. I suspect just like Brazil were doing before the 2014 world cup, without no competitive football to play, ENG friendlies vs major opposition will have to be taken more seriously than these qualifiers.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Ha Hodgson sure gets you mad and satisfied as coach at the same time. Wise enough to call-up Berahino, but how could he seriously pick Smalling & Carrick?. What does Hull City pair Davies & Huddlestone have to do, to get a ENG call-up?

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Yeah I like the idea of training camps, these friendlies really are a bore fest (apart from the Scotland game :D) I'm not too sure about this giving us a much better chance of winning the Euros though.

Lee1981

International Coach
Yeah I like the idea of training camps, these friendlies really are a bore fest (apart from the Scotland game :D) I'm not too sure about this giving us a much better chance of winning the Euros though.

Agree friendlies are a complete waste of time, but no amount of training camps is gonna help us compete in tournaments

War

Chairman of Selectors

Ye ignore the winning EURO talk ha...[DOUBLEPOST=1415715770][/DOUBLEPOST]
Agree friendlies are a complete waste of time, but no amount of training camps is gonna help us compete in tournaments

Well after almost 50 years of general tournament struggles, you could argue ENG of all senior international teams probably needs to get innovative with its competition preparation.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Anything that can get rid of friendlies would be a good thing, and if we can find a way to stop the disruption to the domestic season then that would be good too.

Lee1981

International Coach
Another problem is that most people don't give a crap about England anymore, me included, so no matter what they do I don't think it will make a blind bit of difference

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
I think in general you definitely need a few friendlies, play teams from different continents for variety so you're prepared for world cups. world cup preparation should be a constant thing rather than just doing entirely separate 2 year blocks tournament to tournament as you rarely change your squad/line up/formation that drastically from one tournament to the next.

however specifically for the next euros i'd bin them off, the group is so weak and essentially qualified from you can get the fringe guys in the qualifiers for a look and they definitely play too many friendlies overall, too.

Users who are viewing this thread