ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
To be honest these three matches we've lost to India have been on pitches in which have assisted their spinners, the world cup however will be a completely different ball game as you'd assume most of the pitches over in AUS/NZ will not assist spin so perhaps we're all over reacting here? Just a thought.

I would however like to see Cook just focus on Test cricket. We already have a few others who could captain the side like Morgan/Broad.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I think Roy is just flavour of the month at the moment. Yes, he's hit a few County attacks around, but he hasn't done it anywhere near consistently enough, or scored big enough to get a chance in the International game for me. Well, maybe in T20, but not in ODis. As I've said before, I think with the new regs on fielding, bowling is becoming harder. Therefore we need people who can bowl 10 overs in a game. Ideally, with another batsman who could bowl a few if needed. All this boils down to, is that the best time to bat in One Day Cricket is at the top of the order. You need the top 4 or maybe 5 batsmen to be capable of scoring big. You look back to when we had Trott, say what you like about his strike rate, but he could score big. Can you say the same for Bell and Cook? I'm not sure you can.

The average score in One Day cricket now has to be 300. So you look at that England line up and you think, how can we get to 300 with 6 batsmen?

War

Chairman of Selectors
England Cricket News: 'Friend' Swann's comments not helpful - Alastair Cook | ESPN Cricinfo[DOUBLEPOST=1409634417][/DOUBLEPOST]

that looks formidable, i might add moeen ali as well along with tredwell.

Ye would include Ali now, after seeing him bat in this game. Wasn't 100% sure that his batting was suited to shorter formats. So slight KP-less squad adjustments:

Hales, Vince, Ali, Root, Morgan, Buttler, Stokes, Woakes, Broad, Tredwell, Finn

Taylor, Kieswetter, Anderson, Meaker

War

Chairman of Selectors
KP just picked his team on twitter.

Hales
Roy
Ali
Bopara
Morgan
Clarke
Buttler
Rashid
Broad
Finn
Anderson

Interesting selection. I must admit, my faith in people like Bell and Cook was wrong. They clearly aren't going to win us a WC, and despite the fact it's so close, we've got nothing to lose by having a massive change.

Pietersen was bound to pick Roy. Perhaps he would come off once or twice in a WC. He's brought back Bopara. Think the current selectors are the only ones who wouldn't pick him.

Clarke and Rashid are interesting. Clarke has been brilliant in a successful Warickshire team in last couple of years. People like Stokes and Woakes haven't taken their chance. Might be time to go back to an experienced county player. Rashid is fresh of a 150 for Yorkshire. I know his bowling has improved but is it good enough to be the main spinner. I suppose with Ali in the side, it's slightly easier for him to come in.

A lot are responding to his tweet with support for Trott and Taylor.

Roy is a tempting one. Its either him or Vince to open for the W-Cup if the selectors get sense & relieve Cook of ODI captaincy. Vince the better batsman, has the mark waugh ODI opener style to him - but Roy the basher. If he was to cut it a Hales/Roy opening partnership could rival any top two in ODIs.

Harsh to say Stokes & Woakes haven't taken their chances. Stokes is obviously having a bad batting year since the Ashes, but he needs to be backed, while Waokes who i wasn't always fond off is coming along well. Clarke is the past, plus i'd say he still comes across as a county bully.

We can only take one spinner to the W-Cup & Rashid deserves a recall for that SRI ODI tour this winter. Two spinners could be used in those conditons, so let him & Tredwell bowl off to see to earn that one spot in AUS/NZ.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Ye would include Ali now, after seeing him bat in this game. Wasn't 100% sure that his batting was suited to shorter formats. So slight KP-less squad adjustments:

Hales, Vince, Ali, Root, Morgan, Buttler, Stokes, Woakes, Broad, Tredwell, Finn

Taylor, Kieswetter, Anderson, Meaker

Are you not including Anderson in your team? I think he has to play, especially in Australia and Ali at 3 is wrong, keep Ballance there, get Root in at 4, maybe find a place for Bell. But I agree, both Stokes and Woakes have to play and Cook finally has to go.

This is a tough squad to pick for Australia 2015, because there are way too many untested openers/batsmen in England, in Australia in a world cup, really the place to debut guys like Vince or Roy etc. Have they really been heads and shoulders above everyone else at domestic level? A return for Carberyy maybe? And why was Bopara missed out in this series? I really think there should be a call up for KP.

This is a bad situation for England even if I had a gun to my head I wouldn't know who to pick but I do think the following have to play: Bopara, Root, Hales, Ali and Jimmy

angryangy

ICC Chairman
The average score in One Day cricket now has to be 300. So you look at that England line up and you think, how can we get to 300 with 6 batsmen?
Depends where you are though. Lower scores still happen in Australia. Last time England was here, they actually made 300 twice and only defended it once, so maybe that's food for thought. I think the fundamentals haven't really changed though. The top order is there to make a platform and the lower middle must score faster in a shorter period. What we saw of Raina at Cardiff happens a fair bit now, you can really springboard from a run rate of only 4.5 or so, which is really good news for both dirty sloggers and careful top order players. But a careful top order player who gives his wicket away under imaginary scoreboard pressure is just useless. If England can figure that part out, have the balls to pick guys like Ballance, Trott, or maybe even Taylor, I think their Morgan/Buttler type players do fit their role.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Depends where you are though. Lower scores still happen in Australia. Last time England was here, they actually made 300 twice and only defended it once, so maybe that's food for thought. I think the fundamentals haven't really changed though. The top order is there to make a platform and the lower middle must score faster in a shorter period. What we saw of Raina at Cardiff happens a fair bit now, you can really springboard from a run rate of only 4.5 or so, which is really good news for both dirty sloggers and careful top order players. But a careful top order player who gives his wicket away under imaginary scoreboard pressure is just useless. If England can figure that part out, have the balls to pick guys like Ballance, Trott, or maybe even Taylor, I think their Morgan/Buttler type players do fit their role.
I totally get where you're coming from and do agree. Sure, you can score less than 300 and do well, but I mean that a team has to have the capacity to score 300, which you'd question whether England can do it or not. Which leads on to your second point.

Which again, I agree with because you can get away with scoring slowly at the start. I think the problem the England team has is trying to hit that accelerator. I mean, even with Trott, you wouldn't say he was brilliant at it, but if he batted a long time, he tended to get the strike rate up near 90, which is good enough with people around him. The question around the likes of Cook or Bell is, can they turn that 40 off of 60 balls into 120 off 125 balls. Which you'd have to say, there's no proof of, which is the issue for England. And I think you could argue that on two points, in that one, they don't make centuries enough and two, when they do make big scores they don't accelerate.

That's what separates the England top order, from the quality ODI players, like your Gayle's, Amla's and even someone like Warner, who can all start off relatively slowly, but are then good enough to catch up, to be able to post that 280 or 300. the obvious problem with this is that Cook and Bell are not even in the same league as most of those guys in ODI cricket. :D

Whereas I think Morgan and Buttler down the order, can hold their own against most sides around the world.

D

Deleted member 9102

Another game I've watched, another James Taylor century.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Are you not including Anderson in your team? I think he has to play, especially in Australia and Ali at 3 is wrong, keep Ballance there, get Root in at 4, maybe find a place for Bell. But I agree, both Stokes and Woakes have to play and Cook finally has to go.

This is a tough squad to pick for Australia 2015, because there are way too many untested openers/batsmen in England, in Australia in a world cup, really the place to debut guys like Vince or Roy etc. Have they really been heads and shoulders above everyone else at domestic level? A return for Carberyy maybe? And why was Bopara missed out in this series? I really think there should be a call up for KP.

This is a bad situation for England even if I had a gun to my head I wouldn't know who to pick but I do think the following have to play: Bopara, Root, Hales, Ali and Jimmy

Don't think Anderson is as important a cog in the ODI team as the test team. ENG need 1 bowler capable of bowling 90 mph with the new-ball in the w-cup. Finn is that fan once in form, so basically the second new-ball spot will be between Broad & Anderson. I'd start Broad, cause he'd contribute more with the bat.

Based on what I have seen over the summer, this is the best 15 Eng take to the World Cup -

Cook
Hales
Ballance
Root
Morgan
Ali
Butler
Stokes
Broad
Finn
Anderson

Roy/Tredwell/Woakes/Bell

Hales can get things moving at the top, but its also important to not lose too many wickets early. Even if there is an early wicket, Ballance can provide a steadying influence. Root can be aggressive or defensive as the situation requires and Morgan/Ali/Butler can provide the impetus at the end. The batting line up is really deep with Stokes coming in at 8. Thats one of the deepest batting line ups, and can be very useful especially when chasing large totals.

Ali has more than proven himself to be a capable spinner and on Aus pitches you don't need to play more than one spinner. Root can chip in, if required. If a pitch really requires two spinners be played then Tredwell and Ali both play, and Ballance can make way for that match. I think this side has a good balance overall and is the best 15 England cna take to the WC.

I know Bell not being in the side would be a surprise to most, but I think he is on the way out and England should not play any game without both Ballance and Root in the side. Also Bell's contribution to the ODI side at avg of 37 and S/R in the 70s are greatly over-rated by the England fans. He doesn't bring enough to the ODI side. Also I would have KP in that side, but that is not happening so I have left him from the side.

Last edited:

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Don't think Anderson is as important a cog in the ODI team as the test team. ENG need 1 bowler capable of bowling 90 mph with the new-ball in the w-cup. Finn is that fan once in form, so basically the second new-ball spot will be between Broad & Anderson. I'd start Broad, cause he'd contribute more with the bat.

I'll agree that Jimmy isn't the best in ODIs but he still has to be there, for his skill and experience.

I'm a massive fan of Finn but he has lost a touch of pace and a hell of a lot of confidence. Let's just hope England's run of ODIs in the build up to the cup help us to put together a better side.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Would love to see Billings get a chance, can't ignore his stats in the domestic 50 over competition this season...

4JhP59S.png

Users who are viewing this thread