English Premier League vs Australian Football League

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Just an opinion, if the AFL wants to go overseas and succeed in South Africa and Asia, I think they will need to change the name of the game. Not sure a South African kid growing up will be looking forward to a sport that says Australian Rules Football.

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
Why would you compare Beckham with Franklin? Franklin has had one great season but he's not a legend of the game. He's not even the best in the league currently.
Oh yes he is the best in the league.
He brings people to games, he attracts women, he is an athletic AFL phenomenon up forward and most importantly he doesn't cry like a little girl when he doesn't win the Brownlow for 2 years in a row or when his team gets comfortably beaten in the Grand Final by a much better team.

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
He brings people to games, he attracts women, he is an athletic AFL phenomenon up forward and most importantly he doesn't cry like a little girl when he doesn't win the Brownlow for 2 years in a row or when his team gets comfortably beaten in the Grand Final by a much better team.

Whipped...

Cricketdude

Chairman of Selectors

Buddy Franklins lost a Grand Final?......

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
very disappointing. AFL can't have two teams in Sydney as there just isn't enough support (eg. Sydney final game which only had 19,000). One downside of a Tassie team is that our population is scattered everywhere so the games must be played in Hobart to get at least 10,000 fans there. If it's in Launceston you'll quickly find out that crowds will drop for an average game.

Sydney sells out the SCG for most home games. That final game was 1. At the crappest ground in the country and 2. Stgeorge vs Roosters (2 extremely popular sydney teams) where playing a very important game in the last round of the regular season that day. Thats why only 19k was there.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
I read something along the lines of this about a week ago.

With AFL celebrating it's 150 and those ads on TV with "The Game that made Australia" if the NRL went down into Victoria with ads about how NRL made Australia the NRL would get laughed out of town.

I personally don't have a grudge over AFL, I just think the arrogance of the AFL of trying to expand into Western Sydney. Just because the Swans are going well doens't mean you put in another team in Sydney, that could potentially kill of the Swans.

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
TBH, I could see the Sydney Swans finishing bottom 4 next season.

But regardless of which, I've witnessed how much the popularity of AFL has grown in Sydney over the last 3-4 years.
Give it another 10-15 years and it'll easily be the most popular sport in NSW.

International Coach
That's going to be very hard to do. But the guy that runs the NRL is an absoulte joke, he couldn't run a lemonade stand if he tried. So with him in charge AFL has the potential to become a power in NSW.

CortezTheKiller

Club Cricketer
In my opinion, Soccer and other sports only reek over AFL worldwide because those sports were introduced long before AFL was even invented.
Sadly, because Australia is such a small country, it doesn't seem as if AFL is going to be broadcast worldwide in our lifetime although our top players deserve as much recognition as anyother sportsman in the entire world.

I don't think association football's popularity can be attributed solely to having been around for longer. In fact, as the sport was only codified in 1863, one could say it's a younger sport than Aussie Rules, which had its first rules drafted (if wiki is to be believed) in 1859. :p

Association football's great strength is that it's a relatively simple game to play & understand. This means it's easy to pick up, something it shares with basketball, which is definitely a younger sport than Aussie Rules, having only been invented in 1891 & far more popular worldwide. AFL has some rather arcane laws that can seem baffling to the uninitiated. Its lack of an offside rule & massive playing area also mean that television (so vital in the popularity of the EPL) doesn't capture all of its action as easily as it does with football or either of the two rugby codes, where more of the action is concentrated on the football itself because on the playing lines offside rules mean.

It doesn't mean AFL is better or worse, just different. What it does mean tho is that unless one's exposed to it at any early age it's harder to pick up and appreciate properly.

Last time i checked there was only one goal in AFL... Don't know what you've been watching?

That is true, but points are also scored for behinds, which there's no equivalent of in soccer. Goals clearly aren't as important in AFL either, most games have in excess of 20 scored, so the act of scoring isn't as valued as it is in soccer. A goal in AFL is like a kiss on the lips; in soccer it's an orgasm.

Again tho, that doesn't make it better or worse. In fact, because of the high premium scoring has in soccer, one can make a case to say undeserving teams (who've been dominated in terms of chances and possession, say) are more likely to win in soccer than Aussie rules.

I like AFL a lot tho, despite being a pom. Really got into it thru posters on another cricket site going on about it, so started to follow it to see what all the fuss is about. The fitness of the players is really impressive and work the likes of Ablett or Corey get thru in a game is ridiculous. Didn't help the Cats in the GF tho, but.

International Coach
Great post!

Another which bothers me with soccer is penalties. A team can dominate all day, but when some nancy from the other team dives in the box over nothing, an almost certain goal is given away and the crapper team wins.

In AFL the better team on the day WILL win.

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
Buddy is overrated. Hawks fans are cocky idiots. Football>AFL. Aussie_ben91 is clueless. Bartel was robbed of the Brownlow. We all hate Spurs.

Users who are viewing this thread