Your Cricket Etho's Bat tips.

etho11

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Due to other thread going off topic i thought we should start one actually about bat hints. I help people choose the size, the weight and the play of the bat. Feel free if considering buying a bat ask me because i have alot of experience with bats especially from Australia.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I was wondering what to buy with my new bat. Types of oil etc. Any tips too on maintenence, how long to knock it in for.
I last bought a bat back in 1994 so I can't really remember what to do!

etho11

International Cricketer
barmyarmy said:
I was wondering what to buy with my new bat. Types of oil etc. Any tips too on maintenence, how long to knock it in for.
I last bought a bat back in 1994 so I can't really remember what to do!

Buy raw lin-seed oil. I will tell steps for oiling after knocking in.
I suggest people knock their bats in for at least 6 hours. I would 8 myself. Just get and old ball or mallet and tap the ball fairly hard up and down the bat. If you have a mallet you run the handle of the mallet along the edges this will knock the edges in but is not an essential. When you first get your bat i would apply a coat of oil across the bat. Then knock it in. After you have knocked your bat in apply a coat of oil every day for three days. This should get alot of oil into the bat. Once that is done it is your choice how often you oil your bat i oil mine about every 2-3 weeks but my bat isnt the greatest. So if you are buying a really good bat don't be afraid to put a coat of oil on quite reguarly. Hope this helped mate.

Anyone got any bat queries?

Last edited:

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Yeah, my grips often come off little by little showing the string, and alot of wrinkles in the grip itself-looks really ugly and now the string is coming off. I don't play cricket seriously but would like to fix this.
Thanks

etho11

International Cricketer
Cricketman93 said:
Yeah, my grips often come off little by little showing the string, and alot of wrinkles in the grip itself-looks really ugly and now the string is coming off. I don't play cricket seriously but would like to fix this.
Thanks

I have the same probelm with my bat. Just get some black tape but the tape has to be alot thicker than normal tape. Wrap the around the grip so it is a fair way down. The more tape you use the less chance you have of the grip climbing up again.

Chimp132

International Cricketer
stretch the grip, just roll the grip up from the bottom then roll it back down thats what i do :D

rickyp

International Coach
Chimp132 said:
stretch the grip, just roll the grip up from the bottom then roll it back down thats what i do :D

if you plan on doing this just buy a new grip now

what you do is this:

with an open palm, repeatedly hit the top of the grip (the bit that is sticking off the handle) so that it gets compressed back onto the handle.

Then run your hands along the grip the whole way down the bat to pull the bit you compressed back down to the bottom. Its hard to explain in words.

Keep repeating this until its back where it started, then use electric tape to stick the bottom down

Chimp132

International Cricketer
last time i tried that, i got a massive blister on the palm of my hand - but the grip was very strong, it was a gm purist grip

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
Chimp132 said:
id guess by what i said in my last post....
It only hurts if you havent got some sort of gloves on, i rarely use my batting glove in practise, i just use my rugby (gripped) gloves to stop my palm becoming red and sore. Im not going to buy some new gloves specially for cricket when my rugby ones work :p

Chimp132

International Cricketer
lol, when i next attempt it i ll put sum washing up gloves on because im a tramp lol would that work :P

Users who are viewing this thread