Tutorial Bowling Tips

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
What kinda match you playing and hows it going??

Giggs11 added 1 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

And gotta be honest with you dont really have a clue what they mean with the bowling techniques, this is still very unclear to me.

Thanks. I'm playing as England, who scored 256 (Broad scored an unbeaten 116, poor old Harmison couldn't hang on any longer and supplied a simple catch to first slip.) Australia in reply are 3/245 - I bowled Watson with the slower delivery, and trapped Katich in front. Clarke played onto his stumps.

Enjoyable moments:

- I defended a ball but edged it into my pads. The meter at the top said OUTSIDE EDGE. But what was enjoyable was that the bowling team went up for a half-shout - i.e. they started to appeal initially but quickly subdued when they realised I had edged it into my pads. That's a nice touch that feels like cricket!

- I bowled a wide-ish delivery that was pitched short and moved away from Clarke. He went for a huge backfoot cut shot. He ended up with the thick bottom edge which played it into the stump. It dislodged the right bail only. Replays were fantastic, especially seeing the keeper go up when he saw the ball hit the bottom of the stump and dislodge that single bail.

Giggs11

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Sounds great, im just so jealous as im on 360 i dont get to experience it yet, but there seems to be a few nice little touches by the sounds of it which have been added. Im really looking forward to playing the patch. Seems you got a tough match on there and i was wondering also is it that much harder now cause you seem to be struggling as they are on 245 with only 3 wickets gone and have nearly overtaken your total, also master blaster seemed to be struggling with batting and getting them out quick??

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
A few things about bowling...
Each delivery has a rating from 0-1 when it reaches the batsman. That's determined by where it pitches and where you hit the bowling metre. Yellow and yellow is the ideal to get the best ball possible.
The batsman will decide to play lofted, aggressive, defensive or block based on the value.
If you start a delivery with down and finish it with left for an outswinger (PC controls) then the value for where it pitches is taken for the outswing ball not the straight one. You need to have a rough idea of the hotzones for each ball as you won't see if the ball you actually bowl is yellow or not until the last minute, only the ball you triggered the delivery with.
Therefore your starting delivery may be dark green but your end delivery may be yellow. This is one of the reasons people get smashed with slower balls a lot as a slower ball pitched in the stock ball zone will be dark green not yellow.
The best way to bowl is to move the cursor late and change the delivery but still end up in a yellow zone.
Hope this makes some sense...

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
A few things about bowling...
Each delivery has a rating from 0-1 when it reaches the batsman. That's determined by where it pitches and where you hit the bowling metre. Yellow and yellow is the ideal to get the best ball possible.
The batsman will decide to play lofted, aggressive, defensive or block based on the value.
If you start a delivery with down and finish it with left for an outswinger (PC controls) then the value for where it pitches is taken for the outswing ball not the straight one. You need to have a rough idea of the hotzones for each ball as you won't see if the ball you actually bowl is yellow or not until the last minute, only the ball you triggered the delivery with.
Therefore your starting delivery may be dark green but your end delivery may be yellow. This is one of the reasons people get smashed with slower balls a lot as a slower ball pitched in the stock ball zone will be dark green not yellow.
The best way to bowl is to move the cursor late and change the delivery but still end up in a yellow zone.
Hope this makes some sense...

Thanks for this info. I'll use it, and see if I can at least drop this run rate to somewhere below 5.50!

D

Dutch

Thanks for this info. I'll use it, and see if I can at least drop this run rate to somewhere below 5.50!

Nice to see you enjoying this Captain. you were very sceptical about this game pre-patch and rightly so but your kind of experience proves that they are doing something right and this is only patch 1.:)

tomie89

School Cricketer
tips on bowling

hi i just got ashes 2009 on ps3 and ive found the bowling to be to hard. every time i bowl a good length i get smashed for six.could anyone give me any advice

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
No need for bowling tips because AI give their wickets away cheaply.

Bowling isn't that bad. [x box 360]. Like in other versions of the game, a "bad" delivery can sometimes pay dividends with a catch or run out. And on some days and certain grounds the ball just won't swing, no problem as cutter balls can do the trick. Try them nice and short on occasions, they can induce some wierd strokeplay especially from the tail enders. You can always count on a few suicidal AI runouts per innings also. There are some surprising areas on ihe wicket where the bowling cursor turns that nice lime green colour!! And a few "past the wicket" deliveries can get an LBW shout at the tailenders.

D

Dutch

Bowling isn't that bad. [x box 360]. Like in other versions of the game, a "bad" delivery can sometimes pay dividends with a catch or run out. And on some days and certain grounds the ball just won't swing, no problem as cutter balls can do the trick. Try them nice and short on occasions, they can induce some wierd strokeplay especially from the tail enders. You can always count on a few suicidal AI runouts per innings also. There are some surprising areas on ihe wicket where the bowling cursor turns that nice lime green colour!! And a few "past the wicket" deliveries can get an LBW shout at the tailenders.

Hopefully the patch will soon come out for the consoles because the bowling has been become much more effective with the PC patch and the AI dont run themselves or slog themselves out anymore. (Well the slogging can sometimes be there tbh but suicido running is gone!)

Users who are viewing this thread