Tutorial Bowling Tips

locherbread

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I was playing on the hard difficulty trying to unlock a stadium, I'll definately hold off as I can win on easy and medium difficulties (well some of the times :) )
and I do enjoy the game even though my precious Scotland were left out :(

jaraarrow

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Bowling

Can anyone tell me how some players dont pitch the ball anywhere near where the marker says its going to pitch:facepalm,it has got me baffled.

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Can anyone tell me how some players dont pitch the ball anywhere near where the marker says its going to pitch:facepalm,it has got me baffled.

If you are talking about online players then my friend its just an exploitation of lag and nothing else. They simply move the cursor at last second when you can't see it.

x Punjabi Killa

Club Cricketer
It is not an exploitation of lag, if you are good enough you can still score and win. I call it a tactic. If you can see where it is going to pitch then batting will be far too easy in this game.

It takes a lot more to win then just moving the bowling cursor at the last moment to be good in this game.

Although I would have preferred a fixed bowling cursor once you are half way in your run up then this would have given a fair chance to the batter.

Lee1981

International Coach
moving the cursor around until you release the ball is a fair and legal way of bowling and very affective. in real cricket you do not know till the last seconds where the ball will land. In your mind you have an idea where you think it will land and will have your desired shot and place ready if it goes where you expect, same principle with the game, i find if i play across my legs the majority of the time it removes bowled and lbw and i have lots of success this way, you may swing and miss a few bowled to your offside but you will not lose any wickets.

x Punjabi Killa

Club Cricketer
Lee1981 a good bowler can bowl on a piece of 20 cents coin and know exactly where he will land the ball!

With your batting approach it takes the most beautiful cover drive out of the game. I would like the batter to have the ability to play the cover drive without having to worry about getting bowled behind his legs when the bowling cursor is moved from one side to the other at the very last moment. Maybe the bowling cursor should appear a little bit later when the bowler is just about to hit the crease like real cricket so the batsman has a limited time to react to the length and line.

The way the bowling cursor at the moment is if you don't move the cursor then batting if far too easy, you can hit almost everything to the boundary.

Last edited:

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
That's a very good point. I've been bowled behind my legs a fair bit online trying to drive by a late cursor movement. It would feel much more satisfying to be out in a realistic way like edging behind.

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
@Punjabi: Judging by your signature, it seems you play on XBOX and if I am not wrong, in XBOX you can choose the direction of the shot at last second where as in PC, it is not so. If you aiming to hit an outside off ball to cover region and the bowling marker is moved to outside leg then my friend, you can't change the direction quickly enough. Its not about reacting fast, its just that cursor from cover region to mid wicket region HAS to go through mid off then mid on and then to mid wicket.. you can change it instantly. So, what you call a tactic is actually an exploitation atleast for PC version.

Also, mind you, when the game is not lagging, the cursor does not re-appears at last second. Instead, it is visible all the time. So, its only the lag and not a tactic.

x Punjabi Killa

Club Cricketer
I am not sure whether you can move the bowling cursor on the PC or not. How about if you use the Xbox controller on PC? I think it will be too difficult to move the bowling cursor with arrow keys or mouse but not with Xbox controller. If you use a Xbox controller on PC then you will have a huge advantage.

I would like to take you on the PC version. Your signature is very challenging and I am the king of Xbox 360. I will show what exactly I mean!

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
Bowling cursor is too easy to move, thats what the issue is all about. People keeping moving the cursor till the last second but the game, due to lag, instead of showing a moving cursor shows only a still once the bowlers starts his run-up. But once, he is just about to bowl, the actual cursor re-appears and WHOLA.. its on the opposite side of the pitch. :p

And you are more than welcome for a match on PC, just that we being geographically so far that the high amount of lag would spoil the fun.

Lee1981

International Coach
if there is lag then its pointless playing both players should agree to quit and try again. moving the cursor works well if you know what your doing- some players give away so many free hits moving the cursor around, its works against them, if you can get it right it can be unplayable..

piyumy

School Cricketer
Special Tips

Not sure wheter this question validates its own threads, but please feel free to move it somewhere if not (I am sure you will feel free!). Having never really got into bowling because of the one-sidedness of previous games I am now really struggling to contain the AI (playing the demo by the way). Batting is going okay on hard and I can make decent totals but bowling is a nightmare. Especially when Ponting comes in he just clobbers me big time. I really want to be able to play on hard because the the other options are too easy batting-wise. What are the best ways to bowl. I feel I am putting the ball in the right place (yellow?) and at the best speed (also yellow). What else do I need to do? If I start mixing it up, swinging then I get clobbered. If I vary the length I get clobbered. If I bowl straight they will block it or let it go, which keeps the score down but doesn't create chances. Even with ultra-defensive field settings. I just got put away for 230 runs for 2 wicketts of 20 overs (Ponting not out for 133 of 52 balls!!:facepalm). How are you guys doing this? Are there any tutorials that might help or tips people can give me (apart from sod-off!:D)

Cheers,

Dutchad

Hi!

Try this it works most of the times. I'm also using it too often.

0. Change the Delivery Type at the Last Moment(When your happy with your "Bowling Meter"). (Have a look at Below Example)

1. While bowling to Right-Hand Batsman, Bowl "outSwinger (Left Arrow)" then when Bowling Meter reach at your desire position press the "inSwinger (Right Arrow)" the bowl will be inSwinger rather then outSwinger. This way you can confuse Batsman.(Dot Balls = Low Scoring) While they are new at the crease.

You can mix-it-up delivery this way. Like

a. OutSwinger to InSwinger or Straight Delivery
b. LegCutter to Off Cutter or Slow Delivery

2. while bowling to Left-Handed Batsman, Choose "Around the Wicket" (your bowling arm goes further away from stumps). choose inSwinger as your starter delivery. Do not move Bowling Marker when Bowling Meter reach at your desire position press straight delivery (Down Arrow). Most of time you have chance of wicket. Just Remember to place a close in fielder. at off-side of Batsman.

3. This Tips is Tested on Normal Difficulty. On Easy Its works like Charm. You can restrict opponents with this tips inside 150 Runs in Twenty20 Match (20 Over Played by Opponents Team).

4. Use Spinners only when Field is Lifted. Do not use them under PowerPlay or when field restrictions apply.

5. To build-up High score. Do not play lifted shots in "Early Overs (First 8 Overs in Twenty/20 Match)" unless you got "Free Hit" Bowl. Most of the time use "Attack Shots".

6. When there is no "3rd Man" or "Fine Leg" and bowler bowls at you on left or middle stump line. Play "Late-Cut" or "Paddle-Sweep" against Fast/Medium Fast Bowlers (Batting Marker at Fully Behind) to get the gifted 4 Runs.
-::: Do not use this against Spinners :::-

7. Play your shots little earlier(Bowl in-the-air, at just below your knee height) against Spinners.

8. Let the Fielder throw the Bowl himself, Rather then you press the key for throw.

9. Play "Defensive Shots" too. (Get scoreboard ticking) and If you time the bowl correctly you'll get a 4 Runs too.

10. Most Important, Play with Unnatural thinking. Like Tip No.2

piyumy added 5 Minutes and 37 Seconds later...

First Complete Legends Mode :)

Also use Manual Foot-work against Spinners. Play more Front Foot Shots. (CTRL - FRONT FOOT Shots).

Last edited:
D

Dutch

Tried to get an LBW or Bowled for like 20 overs with all fast fast medium off spin and leg spin not success at all :mad:, I was trying to move ball in to right and left handers and just moving the balling mark before the ball is picthed.

Any Ideas or better some help with some screen shots of picthing line and lenght.

There is a whole thread dedicated to this with videos and all which will give a lot of help. Don't watch too much of it though as from next week we will all be having to get used to other bits and bobs, at least us mere mortals deemed unworthy to test stuff!:)

jamershepp

School Cricketer
I am not sure whether you can move the bowling cursor on the PC or not. How about if you use the Xbox controller on PC? I think it will be too difficult to move the bowling cursor with arrow keys or mouse but not with Xbox controller. If you use a Xbox controller on PC then you will have a huge advantage.

I would like to take you on the PC version. Your signature is very challenging and I am the king of Xbox 360. I will show what exactly I mean!

he is not the king of xbox 360 because thats just clearly not true may be better than me at ac09 but all other games would get smashed and well i class myself better in a way at ac09 as he may be number 1 but he is a quitting cheat deep down you know your not good as when you get smashed you do the easy thing and quit you loser your not worthy of number 1 spot

D

Dutch

Hi!

Try this it works most of the times. I'm also using it too often.

0. Change the Delivery Type at the Last Moment(When your happy with your "Bowling Meter"). (Have a look at Below Example)

1. While bowling to Right-Hand Batsman, Bowl "outSwinger (Left Arrow)" then when Bowling Meter reach at your desire position press the "inSwinger (Right Arrow)" the bowl will be inSwinger rather then outSwinger. This way you can confuse Batsman.(Dot Balls = Low Scoring) While they are new at the crease.

You can mix-it-up delivery this way. Like

a. OutSwinger to InSwinger or Straight Delivery
b. LegCutter to Off Cutter or Slow Delivery

2. while bowling to Left-Handed Batsman, Choose "Around the Wicket" (your bowling arm goes further away from stumps). choose inSwinger as your starter delivery. Do not move Bowling Marker when Bowling Meter reach at your desire position press straight delivery (Down Arrow). Most of time you have chance of wicket. Just Remember to place a close in fielder. at off-side of Batsman.

3. This Tips is Tested on Normal Difficulty. On Easy Its works like Charm. You can restrict opponents with this tips inside 150 Runs in Twenty20 Match (20 Over Played by Opponents Team).

4. Use Spinners only when Field is Lifted. Do not use them under PowerPlay or when field restrictions apply.

5. To build-up High score. Do not play lifted shots in "Early Overs (First 8 Overs in Twenty/20 Match)" unless you got "Free Hit" Bowl. Most of the time use "Attack Shots".

6. When there is no "3rd Man" or "Fine Leg" and bowler bowls at you on left or middle stump line. Play "Late-Cut" or "Paddle-Sweep" against Fast/Medium Fast Bowlers (Batting Marker at Fully Behind) to get the gifted 4 Runs.
-::: Do not use this against Spinners :::-

7. Play your shots little earlier(Bowl in-the-air, at just below your knee height) against Spinners.

8. Let the Fielder throw the Bowl himself, Rather then you press the key for throw.

9. Play "Defensive Shots" too. (Get scoreboard ticking) and If you time the bowl correctly you'll get a 4 Runs too.

10. Most Important, Play with Unnatural thinking. Like Tip No.2

piyumy added 5 Minutes and 37 Seconds later...

First Complete Legends Mode :)

Also use Manual Foot-work against Spinners. Play more Front Foot Shots. (CTRL - FRONT FOOT Shots).

Thank you my friend for taking the time. I appreciate your attention to detail! A number of these tips are very helpful. Cheers!:) I particularly like the idea of "Unnatural Thinking" which I might easily asscociate with someone like the Yorkshire Ripper but it comes easily to me as well!

Users who are viewing this thread