Review short review (PC version), gameplay tips and some questions

ulukai

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Let me start off by thanking Transmission for a truly terrific game. The game is by no means perfect, but in my opinion, this is easily the best cricket game I've played (which incl BLC 99, BLIC 05/07, EA Cricket 05). Frankly, I have no gripes with the graphics or animations (am playing on a PC with everything maxed out, and it looks pretty neat -- this is no GOW2 but heck it's a cricket game), the batting/bowling are both challenging and varied, fielding is much improved and the ball physics are more or less spot on. The issues people raised should be addressed in a patch (I hope).

Regardless, here are some tips:

- this may sound lame, but complete the bowling tutorial! I can't tell you how much my bowling improved after I realized the correct areas to bowl. As others have noted, the ideal length to bowl in the game is much fuller than you would expect -- nothing gives you a better idea of this than the Gatting dismissal in the tutorial. My spinners used to get thrashed around in all forms of the game, going over 10 rpo, but I managed to bring this down to sensible levels and also get some wickets (without exploiting the off-spinner loophole)..other points to remember when bowling: try to change not only the type of delivery, but also the ball position at the last second; stopping the meter in the perfect region (yellow) really makes a difference

- ok, now the other big issue -- run outs. Here's something that has worked for me so far -- I've only played three games since making this change, so I can't be 100% sure about this, but the no. of run-outs drastically reduced..something like from 8 in a single game before the change to 3 over the next three games..what I did was improved all my players' fielding skills -- throwing speeds, accuracy and running speed (had to compromise in other places, but that's fine -- dropped bowling skills for my batsman and vice versa). I had noticed that the AI was taking silly runs, often just before the fielder threw the ball back from the outfield, but the ball would be overthrown..almost as if the AI determined that it should take a risky single based on the fielders' skill level (this is no real surprise, cos this is how it *should* work, except that I've rarely seen it work properly in a cricket game before)...and that most run-outs when looking at the final scorecard were restricted to a handful of bad fielders..so I made this change and it really looks like they've stopped going for silly runs esp when the ball goes in the outfield (the 3 runouts since were very risky infield singles with direct hits)..Anyways, this all could be wishful thinking on my part and maybe I got lucky in the three games since, but I hope someone else can confirm this.

Now, for some really silly issues which need a patch:

- save custom fields! how could this be overlooked?! unless I'm missing a way to do this in the game
- edges not carrying to the slips..after improving my bowling, I've managed to get wickets bowled, lbw and even caught behind by the wicketkeeper off a spinner, but getting a catch in the slips has been a real challenge.

One related point: I find that bowling under Normal difficulty is the most enjoyable, cos the AI gives you more chances of getting wickets, but batting is far too easy...I suppose there are two obvious workarounds: drop your player batting skills and play normal, or increase your bowling skills and play hard..will try the latter more.

Finally, I downloaded the game from gamesplanet as mentioned in the other thread -- it is perfectly legit, and it worked like a charm -- was up and running in a couple of hours. Thanks to chavanak etc for pointing this out! Real blessing for people in the US. The downside, however, is that I don't have a manual -- so a silly question -- can we unlock players like Warne etc. in the game? Also anyone know of other leg spinners in the game who have deliveries like the flipper, slider etc?

D

Dutch

Excellent and balanced review and some very helpful pointers. Thanks for sharing!:D
And nice to see someone showing some gratitude!

ulukai

Club Cricketer
No problem. And now having heard that Transmission are working on a patch, I just love this game even more.

Does someone know the answer to my question about unlocking Warnie?

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Let me start off by thanking Transmission for a truly terrific game. The game is by no means perfect, but in my opinion, this is easily the best cricket game I've played (which incl BLC 99, BLIC 05/07, EA Cricket 05). Frankly, I have no gripes with the graphics or animations (am playing on a PC with everything maxed out, and it looks pretty neat -- this is no GOW2 but heck it's a cricket game), the batting/bowling are both challenging and varied, fielding is much improved and the ball physics are more or less spot on. The issues people raised should be addressed in a patch (I hope).

Regardless, here are some tips:

- this may sound lame, but complete the bowling tutorial! I can't tell you how much my bowling improved after I realized the correct areas to bowl. As others have noted, the ideal length to bowl in the game is much fuller than you would expect -- nothing gives you a better idea of this than the Gatting dismissal in the tutorial. My spinners used to get thrashed around in all forms of the game, going over 10 rpo, but I managed to bring this down to sensible levels and also get some wickets (without exploiting the off-spinner loophole)..other points to remember when bowling: try to change not only the type of delivery, but also the ball position at the last second; stopping the meter in the perfect region (yellow) really makes a difference

- ok, now the other big issue -- run outs. Here's something that has worked for me so far -- I've only played three games since making this change, so I can't be 100% sure about this, but the no. of run-outs drastically reduced..something like from 8 in a single game before the change to 3 over the next three games..what I did was improved all my players' fielding skills -- throwing speeds, accuracy and running speed (had to compromise in other places, but that's fine -- dropped bowling skills for my batsman and vice versa). I had noticed that the AI was taking silly runs, often just before the fielder threw the ball back from the outfield, but the ball would be overthrown..almost as if the AI determined that it should take a risky single based on the fielders' skill level (this is no real surprise, cos this is how it *should* work, except that I've rarely seen it work properly in a cricket game before)...and that most run-outs when looking at the final scorecard were restricted to a handful of bad fielders..so I made this change and it really looks like they've stopped going for silly runs esp when the ball goes in the outfield (the 3 runouts since were very risky infield singles with direct hits)..Anyways, this all could be wishful thinking on my part and maybe I got lucky in the three games since, but I hope someone else can confirm this.

Now, for some really silly issues which need a patch:

- save custom fields! how could this be overlooked?! unless I'm missing a way to do this in the game
- edges not carrying to the slips..after improving my bowling, I've managed to get wickets bowled, lbw and even caught behind by the wicketkeeper off a spinner, but getting a catch in the slips has been a real challenge.

One related point: I find that bowling under Normal difficulty is the most enjoyable, cos the AI gives you more chances of getting wickets, but batting is far too easy...I suppose there are two obvious workarounds: drop your player batting skills and play normal, or increase your bowling skills and play hard..will try the latter more.

Finally, I downloaded the game from gamesplanet as mentioned in the other thread -- it is perfectly legit, and it worked like a charm -- was up and running in a couple of hours. Thanks to chavanak etc for pointing this out! Real blessing for people in the US. The downside, however, is that I don't have a manual -- so a silly question -- can we unlock players like Warne etc. in the game? Also anyone know of other leg spinners in the game who have deliveries like the flipper, slider etc?

Many thanks for such a fantastic post! I'll be sure to complete the tutorials before I start the game proper. One question - does the tutorial show you how to flight or add drift to the delivery when using a spinner?

Anyway, have a virtual pint! :cheers

Edit: May I add one that I worked out in the demo? When bowling a swinging delivery, line the little notch in the reticule up (by adding or reducing swing) so that it goes just past the off stump. I've found that the AI doesn't like that and if you tie them down for a while, they make mistakes.

Last edited:

ronaldo7777

PC Journalism Contest Winner
Its all well and good saying - bowl in the yellow areas - we know that, they're workarounds, doesn't make it the right thing to do. There's something really screwed up about bowling half volleys to restrict the AI run rate. Equally for spinners, bowling yorkers as a good length.

ulukai

Club Cricketer
Its all well and good saying - bowl in the yellow areas - we know that, they're workarounds, doesn't make it the right thing to do. There's something really screwed up about bowling half volleys to restrict the AI run rate. Equally for spinners, bowling yorkers as a good length.

Agreed. The patch should fix these issues, however, the workarounds were suggested before the patch was announced. And I know they're not exactly rocket science (e.g. increase fielding skills)

Sureshot

Executive member
Is there not a PDF of the manual in the folders somewhere? Failing that, I'd e-mail Codemasters and ask them for one/possibility of one. As there will be one, somewhere.

No, you can't unlock Warne.

DarrenBravo

School Cricketer
How can you improve your player skills when playing in the Ashes though ?

nimish_sach

Club Cricketer
Also anyone know of other leg spinners in the game who have deliveries like the flipper, slider etc?

There is Cameroon White who is good enough to bowl a wrong un, flipper normal leggy and top spin!

Excellent post and well balanced:banana2

ulukai

Club Cricketer
Many thanks for such a fantastic post! I'll be sure to complete the tutorials before I start the game proper. One question - does the tutorial show you how to flight or add drift to the delivery when using a spinner?

Unfortunately no.

EDIT: one other point, again an obvious one in some ways: but pay attention to the wind direction for help with drift

Anyway, have a virtual pint! :cheers

Edit: May I add one that I worked out in the demo? When bowling a swinging delivery, line the little notch in the reticule up (by adding or reducing swing) so that it goes just past the off stump. I've found that the AI doesn't like that and if you tie them down for a while, they make mistakes.

will try..also looking forward to your review when you receive your copy

ulukai added 4 Minutes and 29 Seconds later...

Is there not a PDF of the manual in the folders somewhere? Failing that, I'd e-mail Codemasters and ask them for one/possibility of one. As there will be one, somewhere.

Nope, couldn't find it at all.

No, you can't unlock Warne.

Thx

Last edited:

reehan16

School Cricketer
BUDDY....i am unable to knw the controls of pc can u plz explain

ulukai

Club Cricketer
BUDDY....i am unable to knw the controls of pc can u plz explain

I am playing with the Xbox 360 controller. I don't remember the keys off hand but they appear in all the overlays while batting or bowling..there is a toggle "button help" on/off under "Display Options" I think

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
By using the wind, have you been able to get spinners' deliveries to drift, then?

Users who are viewing this thread