Review: First Impressions of DB14 on PC

Alberts

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Albert how many edges were of a defense shot.:spy

Only one that match, but it was a T20, so no idea what they were doing on that one.

I got one in my that Test mentioned before in the first innings. So it's not impossible. In fact, even on the first patch, one of the few edges I actually got was off a defensive shot if I recall. What seems to be good about this patch isn't that edges are coming off defensive shots though, but that they're coming off shots at all, as the AI used to either middle the ball or miss it by miles.

freeshead

School Cricketer
Game is great with realism

Playing test match SA vs SL on Veteran level

AI(SL) scored was 210/0 and 417 all out in 145 overs.

I was struggling to get runs and all out for 135. Enforced follow on . IN my second inning i am(SA) 110/1 and definitely learning how to bat properly

Orangzeb

Banned
after playing pc version I feel batting is very hard on pro. wasn't like this on ps3. I can't help getting out.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I think a factor not being discussed about edges is skill level being played

I assume without testing that playing on amateur will result in more AI batsmen edging than playing on Veteren for example

If this is true then probability of edging on higher levels needs increasing only

This is all speculation though admittedly unless some one at BA is prepared to discuss how edging has been programmed?

Orangzeb

Banned
@bigantstudio

anyone noticed in pc version you can't run AI out? the mid on / mid off fielders runs very fast and when batting our fielders jogs towards ball, their throws are also bit slow sometimes.
I'm talking about pro plz fix these issues in patch 3. Thanks

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
I've run the AI out on the PC version - it's just rare. Perhaps an overcorrection, but this is vastly preferable to how many you'd get even with patch 1.

Likewise with the fielder speeds - occasionally going slow is better than the crazy warping. Obviously they need to keep tweaking to find the perfect middle ground, but it's a better extreme than too many.

Rock925

School Cricketer
Impression about DBC 14

I got the game today......... I think its the best game available till to date..
Controls are a bit chunky but i got familiar to it.....
I started career at amateur but in First class i can't get pass 30 runs :) but in the shorter formats (T20,odi) i was able to score runs at a brisk pace...
I got my first century in T20 in 30 balls :cheers
In all this game is A big step forward in the right direction..

D

Deleted member 9102

I love the Academy feature in this game - I fancied just getting into a Test match with the 2005 Ashes teams, so I went into the Academy and searched for teams from the '2000s' era, ordered by rating and used keywords to find England and Australia 2005 sides - took less than 2 minutes to do the whole process and get into a match with the teams, and the player likenesses were quite good too.

Many thanks to all of the people who have contributed their time and effort to creating all these teams and players. :thumbs

'SideSpin' Dazzer

Club Captain
Its not great ball physics is it when as soon as the ball leaves the bat (for EVERY kind of shot), the ball, whilst airbourne, ALWAYS flies on a straight path, until it bounces where it sometimes changes direction slightly.

However, when the ball hits the pad or the batsmans body, it shows great physics with it swerving or backspin/topspinning depending on the angle and speed it hit the surface.

The ball simply does not swerve in flight when it leaves the bat.....................not even slightly, and that's frustrating and hopefully can be patched to correct, especially as the game has ball physics modelled so perfectly for bowling and deflections off of non-bat items.

I am very surprised no-one else has noticed this, I know that a ball hit from the bat in real life would in most cases not move or swerve in flight to any great affect due to the weight of the ball, but it still would and should curve in flight, i means sometimes the ball is visibly seen spinning sideways and it still travels on a straight path, until it bounces...

One more thing, again related to movement in flight of the ball, is that Big AntStudios answered a query as to whether Wind is in the game and will affect the ball (to which the answer was a clear 'yes'), well, it isn't actually in the game at all!!

Apart from all the above, great game..............but fixing the above will put this on a par with MLB The Show '14 (greatest ever baseball game that has the ball moving as it should), FIFA/PES, and all other top sports games where ball physics these days is so well depicted........with subtle ball direction (fading/curving/swerving etc) very much at the heart of the realistc gameplay and not only for SOME parts of the gameplay

Funnily enough I had the same complaint about Top Spin 4.............it also never had shots that curve in flight even though every single Tennis shot in real life curves left or right in flight......Virtua Tennis 4 had this fine and so did Grand Slam Tennis 2.......................so come on Big Ant, apply these great physics to the shots that leave the bat............................................for the ball in 'the air' as well as when it bounces and changes direction as it does now.............

Last edited:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I love the Academy feature in this game - I fancied just getting into a Test match with the 2005 Ashes teams, so I went into the Academy and searched for teams from the '2000s' era, ordered by rating and used keywords to find England and Australia 2005 sides - took less than 2 minutes to do the whole process and get into a match with the teams, and the player likenesses were quite good too.

Many thanks to all of the people who have contributed their time and effort to creating all these teams and players. :thumbs

dunno if you used mine but i did both the 2005 sides. someone also did 2005 Bangladesh is you wanted to recreate the whole tour with the ODI Triangular series!

----------

i think the edges are maybe imbalanced slightly... the cut shot has become a very low percentage shot, so far as i can tell, human and ai. i'd like to see more edges off drives and blocks.

suryasap

School Cricketer
First OF ALL...Big Ant, you have done superb job on the game. Enjoying every bit of it in PC even though i am learning how to bat and bowl. The physics of the ball and the edges, the catches...everything has been good well except for the commentary( it does tend to say wrong things on several occasions). Never mind about the commentary, it still is a fantastic game. Started my pro career, found really hard in pro level. i think the best for pro career would be, at age 16 start with amateur level...21 with pro...and so on. I think thats the best way to do it. Loving the edges off the bat hitting stumps...getting bowled playing the wrong line, between pad and bat...superb catches....got edged to 4th slip and gully..AI has also been good....BIG ANT..You Rock...Cheers..Keep it up and improving...

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors
dunno if you used mine but i did both the 2005 sides. someone also did 2005 Bangladesh is you wanted to recreate the whole tour with the ODI Triangular series!

----------

i think the edges are maybe imbalanced slightly... the cut shot has become a very low percentage shot, so far as i can tell, human and ai. i'd like to see more edges off drives and blocks.

We're trying to forget that, to be honest.

----------

First inning down. Sri Lanka managed 330 all out against me, with 70 runs coming from a wagging bottom 4. Wickets were less from slogs, although I'd still like some more LBWs/bowled/caught behind/slips from blocked shots. But of course, there is room for me to get better :)

Now I need to bat. I am worried because I generally suck. Going to hit the nets a bit before starting my innings.

StormySteve

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Playing DBC14 on an Alienware X51...

Initially had controller issues so decided to nip up to PC World and get an XBOX360 wireless controller for Windows and so glad I did.

After mastering the batting and getting there on the bowling I find the new control system the best thing BA could have done, it's miles more realistic, gives you a challenge and does actually make you work for your runs... building a total is definitly the key.

To be honest this is probably the most complete cricket game you will ever buy and the only way it can be bettered is for BA to better it themselves, I love the in game tutorial, the ability to download teams & players and create your own tournaments and pretty much everything is editable.

Just one thing I haven't seen is no-balls has anybody else seen this yet? but other than that I have no real gripes about the game...

The best on the market and will be hard to beat it to be honest !!:cheers

msplash9

Club Captain
Superb game. Spent the entire weekend with DBC.Let me get back to it :D

79cricket

Panel of Selectors

----------

Yeah spot on Blocker, as Zim wrote above i would also love to know how edges work in the game.

I do thing for patch 3 the games edges/runouts need to be balanced a little more, i know nothing about programming so what i think and write is just a guess.

I would make it on skill level/confidence and score, between say 0 to 10 runs high chance of getting a edge or bad timed shots and up it every 20 runs or so by the time you make it to say 50 your edge chance go down by a percentage and for runouts i would make it about match result like less in tests and more in shorter forms of the game.

PS I feel for us batting is near perfect as you have to be careful to get to 20 sometimes and other times you race to 20 of like 8 balls before the AI bowl better and set a better fields.

To end this email the difference between patch 1 and 2 is amazing and i can't wait for patch 3, as Ross said we will make this game near perfect together as most of us know how hard cricket is to code.:cheers

Users who are viewing this thread