Fletcher - Flintoff let me down

baburao

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Fletcher - Flintoff let me down

Have you say on Fletcher's comments

Duncan Fletcher says Andrew Flintoff "let him down" with his drinking at the World Cup. Fletcher left his job as England coach following the team's showing in the Caribbean in April, where they didn't progress past the Super Eights.

Flintoff was one of six players fined after drinking in a nightclub after losing to New Zealand and 48 hours before playing Canada. But attention focussed on Flintoff who fell off a pedalo in the early hours of the morning.

Flintoff, who had already been warned about his conduct during the disastrous Ashes of 2006, was subsequently stripped of the vice captaincy.

Fletcher has now revealed his thoughts about the matter in his new autobiography, Behind the Shades.

"I've supported a lot of players," he wrote, "and I supported Andrew but then he drank again at the World Cup after what had happened in Australia while I was taking a pasting.

"If he does ring me when he sees what I have written I will say, 'At the end of the day, Fred, you let me down in an area that you had real control over'."

Fletcher also received retrospective criticism, along with the England management, for making Flintoff captain ahead of the batsman Andrew Strauss. Fletcher, however, remains unrepentant, arguing that Flintoff needed the captaincy to curb his behaviour.
http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/317235.html

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Oh the irony, how many people did Fletcher let down when he picked Giles instead of Panesar?

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Do we really need a thread on every single article posted on Cricinfo?
Fletcher's a loser anyways.

dikon

Club Cricketer
All Fletcher did when he was coach was moan seems he's still at it.He was a great coach but he lost a lot of fans with his miserable and moaning ways.

Highlander999

ICC President
You had to be a fast bowler to get picked ruling out people like Sidebottom. We all know he was an idiot, although Flintoff let himself down as much as anyone else

Vcassano

Club Cricketer
Fletcher is clearly an idiot, after all he did nothing for England, never gave debuts to Stuart Broad, Pietersen, Cook, Bell etc., never got us up the ranking, nothing.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Fletcher is clearly an idiot, after all he did nothing for England, never gave debuts to Stuart Broad, Pietersen, Cook, Bell etc., never got us up the ranking, nothing.

I dont understand? He did give debuts for Pietersen, Cook, Bell or clearly they wouldnt be playing now. If i rememeber correctly Fletcher coached us when we won the ashes in 2005? Yes then theres the loss to Australia to years later. And is it just me or did anybody else expect England to not get past the Super 8's. So unless you can you back your stament i would say its not the truth. Broad got a debut in the Pakistan ODI series..Fletcher was in charge then? Yes Fletcher did some things wrong. He let our ODI"s slip but he got our Test team up there with the Aussies! He may have been a miserable old ***. He certainly didnt do nothing. Fell free to disagree if you can back your Arguement.

KP - Test Debut - England v Australia at Lord's, Jul 21-25, 2005
Odi Debut - Zimbabwe v England at Harare, Nov 28, 2004

Ian Bell - Test debut England v West Indies at The Oval, Aug 19-21, 2004
ODI debut Zimbabwe v England at Harare, Nov 28, 2004

Ali Cook - Test debut India v England at Nagpur, Mar 1-5, 2006
ODI debut England v Sri Lanka at Manchester, Jun 28, 2006

Stuart Broad - ODI debut England v Pakistan at Cardiff, Aug 30, 2006
Still yet to break into test Team even under Moores.

Fletcher - Reign from 2003-2007

All of these are in Fletchers Reign

Highlander999

ICC President
I am not denying that he didn't discover some good batsmen but on the bowling front he let a lot of good pacemen get away from him

manee

Chairman of Selectors
I don't know about you people but I am buying Behind the Shades as soon as possible. I am sure it will be an interesting read.

baburao

Club Cricketer
I don't know about you people but I am buying Behind the Shades as soon as possible. I am sure it will be an interesting read.

So fletcher's trick worked.Manee is buying his book now.:p

Also watch out for John Buchanan's book.He has written some interesting things about Warne there.:p

manee

Chairman of Selectors
So fletcher's trick worked.Manee is buying his book now.:p

Indeed it has. Never been a supporter but always a very keen follower of English cricket. I would love to hear Fletcher's views without having to deal with the frown which seems to be imprinted on his face nor the pressure of being in a position of power.

Vcassano

Club Cricketer
I dont understand? He did give debuts for Pietersen, Cook, Bell or clearly they wouldnt be playing now. If i rememeber correctly Fletcher coached us when we won the ashes in 2005? Yes then theres the loss to Australia to years later. And is it just me or did anybody else expect England to not get past the Super 8's. So unless you can you back your stament i would say its not the truth. Broad got a debut in the Pakistan ODI series..Fletcher was in charge then? Yes Fletcher did some things wrong. He let our ODI"s slip but he got our Test team up there with the Aussies! He may have been a miserable old ***. He certainly didnt do nothing. Fell free to disagree if you can back your Arguement.

KP - Test Debut - England v Australia at Lord's, Jul 21-25, 2005
Odi Debut - Zimbabwe v England at Harare, Nov 28, 2004

Ian Bell - Test debut England v West Indies at The Oval, Aug 19-21, 2004
ODI debut Zimbabwe v England at Harare, Nov 28, 2004

Ali Cook - Test debut India v England at Nagpur, Mar 1-5, 2006
ODI debut England v Sri Lanka at Manchester, Jun 28, 2006

Stuart Broad - ODI debut England v Pakistan at Cardiff, Aug 30, 2006
Still yet to break into test Team even under Moores.

Fletcher - Reign from 2003-2007

All of these are in Fletchers Reign

Whoosh, you missed my point completely there. I was being sarcastic as a form of criticism against those who fail to appreciate Fletcher's excellent work.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
I can't believe people are calling Fletcher an idiot after all the things he did for England. He took them from the worst team in the World to Aussie beaters! Like Vcassano said, he gave debuts to Broad KP, Bell, etc

As far as I'm concerned, he was one of the best coaches England had.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I agree with Fletcher really. I'm all for players letting their hair down but when it becomes such a huge issue then the player is to blame in my view. Fletcher was doomed when Flintoff was named Captain for the Ashes in my view. He may be a good player when on form, but that's all he should do, keep quiet and play well, leaving the Captaincy and like for the players with more than a big space between their ears.

Users who are viewing this thread