Flintoff expected to miss World Twenty20

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
England could be forced to go into next month's ICC World Twenty20 without the services of their premier allrounder, Andrew Flintoff, after he revealed that he has yet to start running after undergoing surgery on a knee injury sustained during his brief stint at the IPL in April.

Flintoff was one of 15 players named in England's squad for the tournament, which starts at Lord's on June 5. But England could have to name a replacement if he cannot prove his fitness in the next three weeks. "I'd love to play in the Twenty20," he told Sky Sports, "but that might be too tight."

With the Ashes fast approaching in July, England desperately need Flintoff, 31, to be fully fit and firing before the arrival of the Australians. But despite his history of injury problems, which include a hip complaint that caused him to fly home midway through the tour of the Caribbean in March, he remains confident about recovering in time.

"I had an operation two weeks ago and I'm already off my crutches," he said. "The Ashes are a long way off - and I'll be fine for them."

England's Twenty20 captain, Paul Collingwood, conceded that the loss of Flintoff for the tournament would be a "huge blow", but felt sure that they would be able to make do without him.

"He's very much two players in one - as I've always said," said Collingwood. "But I think we've got quite a versatile squad with the players we've got in there. It would be a huge blow if he wasn't going to be fit, but we certainly have the players in the squad to overcome that in many ways."

Collingwood even raised the prospect of leaving Flintoff's place in the squad open for a late return, if he was able to recover in time. "Without Fred, it makes it very difficult to get the right balance between batters and bowlers in the final 11," he said Collingwood. "It's something we're going to have to gauge."
? Cricinfo
It will be very bad for English team.
comment please!!

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Quite happy really, theres no point in him playing in some silly games which are of no importance when the Ashes are coming up, let him go get properly fit and play some games with Lancashire.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
He won't be walking for a week and a half, so I doubt he'll play. I'd imagine the ECB being the ECB they'll leave Fred in the squad, and he'll be rushed to play one of the later games in the tournament. I'd actually like to see him being rested until the 2nd Test, with MSP getting the first Ashes Test at Cardiff.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
He won't be walking for a week and a half, so I doubt he'll play. I'd imagine the ECB being the ECB they'll leave Fred in the squad, and he'll be rushed to play one of the later games in the tournament. I'd actually like to see him being rested until the 2nd Test, with MSP getting the first Ashes Test at Cardiff.
He is walking, he can't run for a week and a half. What the sensible guys have been saying is right, he can get fit and go and play a few FC games for Lancashire during June and then come into the Ashes.

Which is another problem in itself - he shouldn't walk into the side just because he's Andrew Flintoff.

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
Flintoff to miss a tournament? Nothing new there.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
So who will replace him? Darren Gough? Adam Hollioake? Ronnie Irani? haha

Nah I kid, but who are some good T20 players that England haven't picked in their 15?

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
So who will replace him? Darren Gough? Adam Hollioake? Ronnie Irani? haha

Nah I kid, but who are some good T20 players that England haven't picked in their 15?
SAMIT PATEL! But he is too fat apparently to be allowed to bat for a short amount of time and bowl a maximum of 4 overs. :rolleyes:

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Oh no! Not the most pointless tournament ever?

PhilD123

International Coach
Which is another problem in itself - he shouldn't walk into the side just because he's Andrew Flintoff.
He should get back into it purely on his bowling form for England even in recent times. He's still the man that you'd want to get a wicket I reckon when you really need one, therefore he needs to be in there.

I'm not bothered about him missing the World Twenty20, however it is slightly worrying that his return has been delayed. Looking through Lancashire eyes, a few county championship games before the Ashes won't do any harm, I suppose.;)

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
His T20 form has been up and down so England probably won't miss him as much in this form. There are also some very capable replacements.

sammy

Club Cricketer
It's not that big a blow. I'd rather he was out of the T20 WC and got fit for the Ashes. They're far more important.

Is the ashes is so important to england, why does your team almost never win the series ?

And who agreed on this theory that the ashes series is the greatest series in the world ?

Stop playing mind games on yourself.

Highlander999

ICC President
Err, you been smoking something? Ashes is the most historic test series in international cricket and the hype surrounding it is massive. Also we won it in 2005 and Australia won it in 2007 and this years is going to be very close.

Users who are viewing this thread