FOOTBALL Football Manager Discussion

Hooper

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
third straight buy for FM for iphone. FM'12. Started off a relegation battle with Juventus (!!) and lost it but carried on the challenge and the save turned out impressive. The regens are the best in the game if you can train them effectively.

here's one i've trained since i got him.

Steve Smith:

2yvmmph.jpg

Also the stats keep mangling a bit. Loaned him out to chievo twice and he's worked wonders for them.

trust me this game is fun on iOS. Not many changes from '11 but a quality game.
I've got it on iPhone too.

A bit restricted in a few options compared to the PC version but still well worth a run. Much more convenient playing handheld.

Pretty gun player, how many seasons you through now?

Funknath

Panel of Selectors
Almost through half of the season.

Won 2-1 vs Blackppol
Lost 2-3 vs Bristol City
Drew 1-1 vs Plymouth
Lost 1-2 vs Leicester
Lost 0-2 vs Wolves
Won 2-1 vs Sheffield Wednesday
Drew 3-3 vs Norwich
Won 3-2 vs Hull
Won 4-1 vs Birmingham
Lost 0-1 vs QPR
Won 2-1 vs Scunthorpe
Won 2-0 vs Stoke
Won 5-2 vs Swansea
Won 3-1 vs Southampton
Won 2-1 vs Coventry
Won 3-0 vs West Brom
Drew 1-1 vs Sheffield United

Sitting at 3rd with 40 points from 22 games. 12 wins,4 draws , 6 loss :D

KBC

Panel of Selectors
I've got it on iPhone too.

A bit restricted in a few options compared to the PC version but still well worth a run. Much more convenient playing handheld.

Pretty gun player, how many seasons you through now?

4, obviously by the date. :P

I played the relegation challenge, got relegated and worked up regens since then. They're pretty powerful, i think i got Smith in my second season as a free agent, had awful stats to start with, but i retrained his position while loaning him out to Chievo. Obviously i won the Serie B and bought a bull-load of players right away and eventually won the Serie A later but it was far too tight than i thought.

s4uwky.jpg

also to mention the final match was quite epic :P If Inter won or drew the game they would have won the league and i had to win the last game against Lecce, i lost to them twice in different competitions, so Inter lost their 3rd game of the season on the last match and i won it and just made it through the goal difference.

Attacking/Mixed/Committed and 5-3-2 attacking worked wonders for me. Unusual but i got hammered when i used 4-3-3 or 4-4-2. I got a bit lucky in the champions league in my third season with porto in the final and beat them 2-0.

I currently have $151mn to spend. That's a lot. Sold like 6-7 players to big clubs who starred in my relegated season. I'm not playing the save anymore because i want to try out the regens in the game. Fascinating sometimes. So managing a lower league team currently.

Last edited:

Hooper

ICC Board Member
151 million to spend! Feck! Thats huge..

I find Attacking/Short/Committed worked for me.

Might try mixed passing though for a while, see how that goes.

Yeah, 4-4-2 is useless in this version, you just have to keep experimenting to see what works for you I guess... Like any real manager has to. :thumbs

5-3-2? I hate going with 5 backs, usually just go the 4 with a defensive mid sitting in front then have a deep winger, a couple mids then my two strikers.

KBC

Panel of Selectors
151 million to spend! Feck! Thats huge..

I find Attacking/Short/Committed worked for me.

Might try mixed passing though for a while, see how that goes.

Yeah, 4-4-2 is useless in this version, you just have to keep experimenting to see what works for you I guess... Like any real manager has to. :thumbs

5-3-2? I hate going with 5 backs, usually just go the 4 with a defensive mid sitting in front then have a deep winger, a couple mids then my two strikers.

yeah 5-3-2 was uncomfortable but i retrained some of the guys and luckily it paid off. I had to take the toll early on for not having a good right winger and a left back, so those morons kept complaining. My second tactic was 4-1-3-2, Balanced/Short/Cautious/Pressing but sort of restricted the team in terms of keeping my best guys out because the tactic didn't suit them. 5-3-2 mainly worked because i had Pirlo as the defensive mid, so that's basically 6 guys in the defense, with an attacking strategy. Paid off.

Try playing 4-5-1, it's perhaps the best in the game. Won't work against 4-1-3-2 or 3-4-3 but it's an instant hit against any other formation.

Overall this game is fun but has space for huge improvements given what iOS can offer.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
I'll try 4-5-1 then.

I found that most my goals were scored from a winger or midfielder coming down the wing then having a 'Target Man' heading them in for me.

So I generally go for tall targets up front for my strikers.

I'm currently in 2017/18 so I've got mainly regens which is interesting. Might start over somewhere in the Spanish leagues. Any idea who?

KBC

Panel of Selectors
If you mean starting all over again, Any lower division sides. Alcorcon. Vallaloid. Osasuna. If you're in '17/'18 then probably any team in the premier division will do because most of the teams have regens. Another thing i found out with 4-5-1 is having a Committed/Pressing combination while you're losing, works sometimes. I came back from 0-1 ht to 2-1 ft. Only risk is the players tiring out and in the noob clubs injuries can keep players off for a crapload of time.

Last edited:

Funknath

Panel of Selectors
People to admire my achievements so far with Chesterfield tbh :p. Have taken them from League 2 to 3rd in Championship in just 3 years :p. And I only spend around 400k in transfers in those 3 years.

----------

Bought two players on free transfers, one is worth 2m (21 yo IIRC) and the other 1m (30 yo) :D

Funknath

Panel of Selectors
Finished 2nd in Championship and got promoted to EPL. Got 29.5m from TV rights. Then the board announced a ground expansion from 9k to 17k and it'll take 6months to finish and till then we shared a stadium with Sheffield, a 32k one so will be getting lots of moneh! Set an aim of avoiding relegation and got 8.25m for transfer budget but only got a 100k wage budget. With the money I could have bought many players but the wages were problem. Bought a midfielder in Salvatore Burrai for 1.9m a record breaking transfer. Bought Ishmael Miller on loan from Man City and Mathew Connolly from Sunderland.

The results so far-

Won 2-1 vs Bolton
Lost 3-1 vs Chelsea
Drew 1-1 vs Tottenham (Would have won it if it weren't for the own goal :( )
Drew 1-1 vs Preston

Sitting 11th in table with 5 points from 4 games.

Jake158

School Cricketer
I've been managing Luton Town, first year I got them into the League 2, now (2nd year) I'm currently 7th in League 2. Hopefully I can make it.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Ever since my epic Everton save which I was in love with, I have really struggled to get back into a save on FM. I haven't been able to get into FM2012 much either, I think I much preferred the way 2011 was set out and all that.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Anyone who has the game. Do Liverpool start with a youth team keeper called Jamie Stephens?

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
still on fm11

4 successive champions leagues with RC lens. oh nice.
Not won the super cup yet though and only won the league twice. New stadium under construction, hope it will be names after me

8 consecutive League titles with my inter save, 5 consecutive doubles. No champions league for 9 years though is annoying. 3rd n the worldwide hall of fame in this.

My stoke save I am competing for the champions league places now, lost a cup final. Need to sort my finances out but things are in place.

Just started an everton save today. will probably be tough, no money at the start, going to do he first season with the squad as it is (shipped out beckford on loan and brought in bentez with the loan fee), then go for an overhaul for the 2nd seasons, going to sell cahill, bily, osman, and a couple out of yak/vaughn/saha/anichebe to bring in some young CMs and strikers to change from 4-5-1 to the 4-1-3-2 that i have crushed with lens and inter

Users who are viewing this thread