Football Transfers Thread

Auwais

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I don't rate Fellaini very highly, tbh. Everton in shipping out Fellaini and bringing in McCarthy got the better end of that deal.

Fellaini is at least versatile and could be used in a number of roles but the jury is out on whether his passing ability and defensive positioning is good enough for a top four side.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Fellaini is a good signing, United so obviously need a Keane type of player, and Fellaini is one of the best you could get for that position within the current market. The fee is a bit high, but he'll be good, considering that Moyes knows him already and United don't have anybody like him (Cleverley's the closest to him).

Herrera's case is indeed interesting, seems like Bilbao have a lot of power over transfers indeed.

That's one way of looking at it. I'd more likely call it wasting other clubs' time quite frankly.

I'm a bit amused and bemused by everyone getting stuck into Felliani. He's quite frequently been a gigantic pain in the arse to us when we've played against him - what does that tell you? If you remove the 'ABU' blinkers, you'll find it tells you he's not a bad player. I'm glad we've got him. He'll add some badly needed steel to the midfield and he's comfortable pretty much anywhere in the midfield area as well. Plus he scored twelve goals last season, so he contributes in that area as well.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I'm not sure it was a good idea for Utd to replace both the manager and CEO at the same time. There should possibly have been more of a changeover period. Utd have looked fairly clueless during this window (and obviously over-paid for Fellaini) but I'm not sure that's Moyes' fault.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I'm not sure it was a good idea for Utd to replace both the manager and CEO at the same time. There should possibly have been more of a changeover period. Utd have looked fairly clueless during this window (and obviously over-paid for Fellaini) but I'm not sure that's Moyes' fault.

No, it was a terrible idea and is obviously behind our laughable performance in this window.

Auwais

International Coach
Definitely. With Woodward being cherry picked by the Glazers in this role, I wonder how long it will take before fans start turning against them again.

They no longer have the shield of Fergie to save them. Wasting ?4m is a sackable offence in any other working environment and that's without getting into their scattergun strategy for acquiring midfielders in this transfer window.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Definitely. With Woodward being cherry picked by the Glazers in this role, I wonder how long it will take before fans start turning against them again.

They no longer have the shield of Fergie to save them. Wasting ?4m is a sackable offence in any other working environment and that's without getting into their scattergun strategy for acquiring midfielders in this transfer window.

Bloody Glazers...

Just go away and stop trying to ruin our club! Sod off and ruin a baseball team or something!

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Something I thought I'd bring up: people have been going on about Utd's lack of 'pulling power' since Sir Alex left, but appear to be forgetting that not one of the deals that fell through did so because of 'personal terms' (which is when the Moyes factor would come into play) - they all fell through because of the amount the bid was for. That would happen with or without Sir Alex. It wasn't the players rejecting a move to Old Trafford - it was the clubs rejecting the bids before we even spoke to the players.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
the moyes bashing is frankly boring.

most of the top teams in europe are managed by guys that had similar experience. Man City's pellegrini has won a few argentine championships 10 years ago but is being heralded as the 2nd coming despite achieving moyes-like results in spain while backed by a mega-spending sheikh. Juventus' Conte and Milan's allegri got their experience climbing half way up serie A with Lecce and Cagliari, Klopp got Mainz relegated then failed to get them promoted.

it's utter snobbery about the EPL, moyes imo is one of the most under-rated managers in europe, any other league and the minute a big club vacancy came available they would have given a guy that brought a bottom half team into the champions league the job.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
the moyes bashing is frankly boring.

most of the top teams in europe are managed by guys that had similar experience. Man City's pellegrini has won a few argentine championships 10 years ago but is being heralded as the 2nd coming despite achieving moyes-like results in spain while backed by a mega-spending sheikh. Juventus' Conte and Milan's allegri got their experience climbing half way up serie A with Lecce and Cagliari, Klopp got Mainz relegated then failed to get them promoted.

it's utter snobbery about the EPL, moyes imo is one of the most under-rated managers in europe, any other league and the minute a big club vacancy came available they would have given a guy that brought a bottom half team into the champions league the job.

True. It's all down to the fella he's following, that's the problem. 'Sir Alex wouldn't have done this/that/the other', etc. Sir Alex was one of a kind, so comparing Moyes (or any other manager come to that) to him is unfair. Having said that, the fella in charge of tying business up at Old Trafford is so clearly out of his depth and has to go.

Incidentally, this from BBC Sport:

It still has about ?307m in debts, but has continued to enjoy on-field success under the Glazers, with five Premier League titles and one Champions League victory.

Couple of months old now, but that debt is really coming down. Big celebration when we get back into the black where we should be all along!

Last edited:

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Added to that, Sir Alex didn't leave United with a great squad that would have been favourites.

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
Something I thought I'd bring up: people have been going on about Utd's lack of 'pulling power' since Sir Alex left, but appear to be forgetting that not one of the deals that fell through did so because of 'personal terms' (which is when the Moyes factor would come into play) - they all fell through because of the amount the bid was for. That would happen with or without Sir Alex. It wasn't the players rejecting a move to Old Trafford - it was the clubs rejecting the bids before we even spoke to the players.

the lack of pulling power has been an issue for years now. RVP aside, think of how many big names Utd have missed out on the past few seasons.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
That'll only get worse now, European players would rather play for Mourinho, Wenger, Villas-Boas or Pellegrini as opposed to some guy they've never heard of.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
the lack of pulling power has been an issue for years now. RVP aside, think of how many big names Utd have missed out on the past few seasons.

Well, you know who we can blame for that, don't you? Players want to be paid ?300,000 per week now, as well as the extortionate transfer fee itself. It's hard to be able to throw money around like that when you're in debt...

----------

That'll only get worse now, European players would rather play for Mourinho, Wenger, Villas-Boas or Pellegrini as opposed to some guy they've never heard of.

There isn't a player in Europe who wouldn't want to play for Manchester Utd. Forget who the manager is - it's not just about the manager you know! Things will be helped along a great deal when we either get out of debt, or get rid of the Glazers. We're still ?300m or so in debt, so we won't be back in the black any time soon.

And I repeat: the failed deals were down to the club rejecting the bid, so that's nothing whatsoever to do with Moyes. Anything Moyes does right (or wrong) would come into effect in the personal terms phase.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread