PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
*** A CONTROVERSIAL OPINION ***

I was going through the ESPN Cricinfo polls and found the recent one saying, which pitches are worst. Green tops were at the last, while rank turners being at no. 3

Also I saw that there ICC has rated 4 rank turners as poor pitches, since 2006 and no excessivr green tracks.

My question is, if the pitches which support Spin Bowling excessively, are rated poor, and the home teams are blamed for preparing such pitches, then why aren't the pitches that support page bowling excessively dealed the same.

Just look at this : http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...-test-australia-tour-of-south-africa-2011-12/

The 2nd and 3rd innings are a complete example of what I am saying, still this pitch was not rated poor. In this match, balls showed way too much seam movement, but still it wasn't rated poor.

Even the rules say,
I think most seam friendly pitches are also helped by weather and conditions, which have no part to play in spin friendly pitches

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

I was going through the ESPN Cricinfo polls and found the recent one saying, which pitches are worst. Green tops were at the last, while rank turners being at no. 3

Also I saw that there ICC has rated 4 rank turners as poor pitches, since 2006 and no excessivr green tracks.

My question is, if the pitches which support Spin Bowling excessively, are rated poor, and the home teams are blamed for preparing such pitches, then why aren't the pitches that support page bowling excessively dealed the same.

Just look at this : http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...-test-australia-tour-of-south-africa-2011-12/

The 2nd and 3rd innings are a complete example of what I am saying, still this pitch was not rated poor. In this match, balls showed way too much seam movement, but still it wasn't rated poor.

Even the rules say,

How can you say the pitch was poor if SA scored 200/2 and 2 guys got hundreds in the 4th innings? That doesn’t sound poor to me

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

Even the rules say,

This match can be excused still.

Firstly, we barely see any love given to seamers nowdays and providing them with helpful pitches. We are seeing bowlers being massacred on dead flat tracks and there is barely any assistacne for them in the pitch most of the time. They have to rely on the conditions, which is not very fair. Spin bowlers, on the other hand get do much assistance from pitches in India, UAE, and SL. We have seen Nagpur and Pune punished because of how much the pitch helped seam bowlers. Also, batsmen managed to score in the first innings and fourth innings of this Newlands test as well. I feel seam bowlers need to be shown more love, such as reducing the margin for wides on the leg side and preparing pitches suiting them. I can hardly remember a pure green track in a international match.

On a side note, this isn't really a controversial thing, it is a great question, don't know why you never back up your opinions and concede and apologize to others. @Yash.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
How can you say the pitch was poor if SA scored 200/2 and 2 guys got hundreds in the 4th innings? That doesn’t sound poor to me
Read the rules again, If the pitch shows excessive seam movement at any point of the game. Also, the Pune pitch which was rated poor, but the batting in the 3rd innings was quite good. Also, if Mitch Starch can hit a fifty on that pitch then it cannot be a pitch not supporting batting.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...ndia-vs-australia-1st-test-ind-v-aus-2016-17/[DOUBLEPOST=1514688105][/DOUBLEPOST]
have seen Nagpur and Pune punished because of how much the pitch helped seam bowlers
You meant spin bowlers??

Stil

Club Captain
Profile Flag
United States
In a test match final innings, how does each captain determine whether his team should go for a win or a draw? If you're batting and are down by a healthy but not insurmountable margin, is there a point where the captain decides one way or the other? Same for bowling; if you have a decent lead and are going for wickets but start to feel that the other team might catch you, do you set a field to reduce runs and prevent the other side winning?

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
In a test match final innings, how does each captain determine whether his team should go for a win or a draw? If you're batting and are down by a healthy but not insurmountable margin, is there a point where the captain decides one way or the other? Same for bowling; if you have a decent lead and are going for wickets but start to feel that the other team might catch you, do you set a field to reduce runs and prevent the other side winning?
It depends on a lot of things, such as the quality of the pitch, the number of wickets remaining, runs required and overs remaining.
For example, if the pitch is helping bowlers and you need 100 runs in 20 overs, it would be a bad idea to go for a win unless you have at least 7 or 8 wickets remaining.
When bowling, i think the best tactic is to try and get wickets, instead of trying to stop runs, no matter the state of the pitch, unless the batting side requires a small target in a small number of overs, such as 100 runs in 20 overs. In such a case, using a defensive field to stop runs would be a good ploy.

Mijurkat

Mystery Monarch
India
CSK
Islamabad
Sydney Thunder
Southern Brave
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India

Users who are viewing this thread