General Cricket Discussion

Skankhunt_42

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
He got pace like his dad? Glad to know Ntini son is playing, his story on breaking through into the SA side is marvelous.
He is still raw talent by the looks of it. Was in SA U19 squad though. Got Beautiful seam bowling and he indeed clocked 140 odd. Might be able to surpass his dad someday. Currently playing for SA invitation XI in the WI tour game. Not yet capped.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Another thing I'd add about the international v franchise thing is, while it wouldn't surprise me that the ICC (and boards) are incompetent enough to let franchise cricket get out of hand, those boards and individuals are the same ones who stand to benefit. N Srinivasan was Chairman of the ICC, MD of Indian Cements and owner of CSK at a time when the ICC could have done something. Is it really any surprise that nothing was done to mitigate things?

Fully agree. It’s the same globally, the NZC chairman often paints a picture of how tests cause them massive losses and cite it as a reason for organising only two test series to go with seven T20Is whilst selling out the current test series for all five days. The power makers have all decided to push the narrative that international cricket and tests in particular are unviable while trying to get their hands on the pie of franchise cricket. It’s pure greed and gaslighting the general public.

Bevab

Staff Member
He is still raw talent by the looks of it. Was in SA U19 squad though. Got Beautiful seam bowling and he indeed clocked 140 odd. Might be able to surpass his dad someday. Currently playing for SA invitation XI in the WI tour game. Not yet capped.

He’s not someone with a lot of potential and is in the second tier of young SA pacers if not third. Didn’t get picked up in the SA20 and hasn’t been particularly impressive in his career so far. He’s also playing in the invitation XI because he wasn’t deemed important enough for his domestic side and they decided to free him for the game like the others. I’d be very surprised if he gets close to his father’s achievements let alone surpass them.

Skankhunt_42

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
India
be very surprised if he gets close to his father’s achievements let alone surpass them.
Oh boy... Let's show a bit of faith.. This bloke is improving his bowling. Although it's WI but he bowled very well in the first innings. He might break through some day :)

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
IPL already gets boring at half way. Another two months of it, my God. I guess there might be people who would enjoy this but I can't imagine a cricket league going on for so long.
Welcome to baseball: 162 games a year! Gets old for Pirates fans by the time they lose 110

Okay ‘big name cricketers’ having a ‘big thing’ for international cricket, at present are primarily guys from England and Australia. Funnily enough the only international 5 test series these days are the Ashes. So deplete that to what a two test series?

Guys from NZ, SA, SL, WI, Bang are fully committed to the IPL and normally forgo international duty to run the T20 league in India. You want that for England and Aussie players as well?
Question for you: when was the last time you heard about international basketball? When was the last time you heard about the NBA?
I'm meaning that degree of difference. I'm meaning a level of "the top players only play for their country in World Cup/World T20", which fairly obviously, we aren't at rn

Bevab

Staff Member
Welcome to baseball: 162 games a year! Gets old for Pirates fans by the time they lose 110

Question for you: when was the last time you heard about international basketball? When was the last time you heard about the NBA?
I'm meaning that degree of difference. I'm meaning a level of "the top players only play for their country in World Cup/World T20", which fairly obviously, we aren't at rn

Whilst we aren’t at that stage for most test nations, the likes of Netherlands seldom see their county cricketers play in bilaterals and they mainly turn up on the big occasions. In a way… it does seem like we’re heading there slowly.

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
Whilst we aren’t at that stage for most test nations, the likes of Netherlands seldom see their county cricketers play in bilaterals and they mainly turn up on the big occasions. In a way… it does seem like we’re heading there slowly.
That's only because they're part of the super league, and even then they've played a lot more against top teams than they would've. If you look at the league under this they're playing a decent amount of games per year this cycle, obviously taking covid into account.

Users who are viewing this thread