Graeme Swann retires

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Yes.
Career in media beckons...

I just can't believe we're going to have to listen to Ian Bell, who is the world's most bland interviewee, do close of play interviews rather than Swanny. Sad day.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
The boat sailed. It really doesn't matter whether they were or not.

Its sailed in that sense yea, but if people keeping incorrectly referring to that phase of ENGs test history as when we were "1" - its a major faux pas.

And the ranking system of course isn't going anywhere - others teams across the various formats get incorrectly ranked every minute.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
According to the Telegraph article Swann told Flower/Cook during the Adelaide test before England were even 2-0 down. That should blow the bowling for his average theory totally out the water.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
I don't think he's retiring to protect his average so maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it.

I did wonder if he might have felt he was receiving more than his fair share of the punishment though for the team's sins, though.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Swann has just tweeted this:

Just because Derek Pringles writes something I find it astonishing that people buy into it?! Making stuff up sells papers I suppose

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Well he can say what he likes now but he doesn't want to make too many enemies in the media.
The Adelaide timing also dispels the "was about to be dropped" theory. Waited till the series was lost/dead then went. Respect.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Vaughan and Piers Morgan having a real go at Swann on twitter after he tweeted this last night / early this morning

Some people playing the game at the minute have no idea how far up their own backsides they are... I hope they look back and are embarrassed about how they carry on.

Hmm...

I was always suspicious of Swann having a sook (maybe not about being dropped, seems to be untrue now -- but basically there were other personnel issues he was not willing to deal with, compounded with losing 3-0)

----------

Ouch. Found the article in The Sun... assuming these are his words (which I think Swann is/was a frequent contributor to The Sun, means it is)... he's shot himself in the foot.

Graeme Swann exclusive: Bowler?s warning to England stars | The Sun |Sport|Cricket

Lee1981

International Coach
Loved Swanny, was quality

Cant help but feel its a spur of the moment decision, I mean being the top wicket taker only few months ago to this

Yeah he is getting hit around a bit but that does not mean you are all of a sudden finished, one bad series that is all

I respect players in all sports who go out at the top when they know they are done, and for us the spectator it's something we can see, their is a decline in that player which is clearly visible, like Sachin, except he didn't go when he should of

With Swann I didn't clearly see he was done, yes he wasn't at his best but let's be fair in our team who has?

If we was winning the series would he be feeling the same? When you are losing it is a crap feeling and makes you react in ways that are really not what you are feeling.

Think has been to hasty, but thanks anyway Swanny

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
Vaughan and Piers Morgan having a real go at Swann on twitter after he tweeted this last night / early this morning

Hmm...

I was always suspicious of Swann having a sook (maybe not about being dropped, seems to be untrue now -- but basically there were other personnel issues he was not willing to deal with, compounded with losing 3-0)

----------

Ouch. Found the article in The Sun... assuming these are his words (which I think Swann is/was a frequent contributor to The Sun, means it is)... he's shot himself in the foot.

Graeme Swann exclusive: Bowler?s warning to England stars | The Sun |Sport|Cricket

he's denied that was about any of the current england players, though who he means if he's excluding KP from the definition is difficult to work out. sure maybe some of the aussies are included, they have been very confrontational this series and it might have got the backs up of the england camp, but it's clear as day he includes pietersen.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Hmm, not sure if i'd go that far. Would still put Thorpe, KP, Stewart, Flintoff ahead of him.

But along with KP & Flintoff - he could one of hardest, of the best players of the last 20 years, to be replaced adequately.

In Stokes - the Flintoff replacement has come quicker than the Botham all-rounder replacement, it seems. However, ENG are not going to find another KP style batsmen anytime soon.

With Swann given that he is clearly the first world class spinner ENG had since Underwood & best off-spinner since Laker - ENG may not have such a spinner for a while. We may have to go back to days of having Giles/Croft/Tuffnell type spinners who were just support bowlers to the pacemen.

Let's not get carries away with Stokes being an adequate replacement for Flintoff, there is still a lot we must see. I remember a time when Broad was supposedly an adequate replacement too.

I believe Monty should play in the next match but the ECB obviously isn't filling him with confidence after calling up two further spin options, this is absolutely horrendous man management, on the level of Pakistan or the Windies. Finn, not two days ago came out and said he no longer felt the confidence he once had, eluding to being dropped in previous series's, for what to me, seemed like no good reason. What is happening to the once thorough and highly thought of ECB? Why are they treating our lads like dirt, some of them anyway?

I was thinking about this a bit more and it almost feels like a bereavement. Swann has been England heart and soul for the last few years and a little something magic dies with his retirement.
I can't be bothered with the clowns who talk about selfish timing or protecting his average (sorry clowns). The guy deserves our total respect and admiration.

The best England player of the last 20 years.

I have the utmost respect for Swann as a player, he has put together one of the best careers in recent times, won multiple honours with england, lifted an international trophy and has been, along with Ajmal, the best spinner on the planet. Hats off to him!

Problem is, whether you like it or not, being as instrumental as he is (something you yourself have eluded to) retiring midway through a series where England are 3-0 down stinks of selfishness. It's the way it is. As a fan of Swann I find my own assessment quite harsh but it's the truth. Swann should not be given a free pass, especially following his "up their backsides" quotes lol

War

Chairman of Selectors
Let's not get carries away with Stokes being an adequate replacement for Flintoff, there is still a lot we must see. I remember a time when Broad was supposedly an adequate replacement too.

But i'm not getting carried away, by slotting in the two words "it seems" in that statement, that should have been a clear indication to anyone who read the post that i'm not saying Stokes is the 100%, clear Flintoff replacement.

Also i don't believe any serious ENG fan ever thought Broad was the Flintoff replacement either.

As i keep alluding to people, you compare Stokes at this stage of his career to Flintoff or Craig White at a similar age - ENGs other notable all-rounder of the 2000s & you will find that Stokes is already ahead of them in that perspective.

His obviously challenge is to keep building on his impressive international career start.

Users who are viewing this thread