Greater All-Rounder - Shane Watson Vs. Andrew Symonds

Who is the better all-rounder? Batting, Bowling and Fielding.

• Andrew "Roy" Symonds

Votes: 39 86.7%
  • Shane "Watto" Watson

Votes: 6 13.3%

• Total voters

IloveGilly

News Team Member<br><a href="http://www.planetcric
Online Cricket Games Owned
Has to be Symonds. Ponting relies on his for spin in those middle overs and sometimes those medium pacers, he's comes in, in the middle of an innings as well and always has some kind of an impact and his fielding cannot be put into words.

Shara

School Cricketer
Definitely Symonds. Watson can do both but isn't good at either.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
aussie1st said:
I keep reading reports that he is now swinging the ball after the help of Lillee then Cooley but I'm yet to see the results from them. If Cooley can't help him move the ball then hes got no hope. Most likely he'll need to develop some cutters to even be considered an all rounder.
He does have an interesting Steve Waugh type slower ball, but I'm not sure if he bowls both cutters.

With the white balls, most days they only swing for about 5-10 overs. Someone who doesn't bowl before the 10th over obviously isn't going to swing it much. In some of the easier matches, we might see him get a bowl early on and we'll see what happens, I guess.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Don't forget that Shane Watson was our first choice for the Test side this summer. In Test cricket I would pick Watson because his batting seems more solid than Symonds. He has made more runs at a better average at first class level and is better technically than Symonds. He would be playing only as a 5th bowling option, so even if you aren't convinced Watson's bowling is any good, it wouldn't matter much. Batting is the most important attribute for the #6 not his bowling.

In ODIs, I'd pick Symonds first. Mainly because he scores quicker, is better in the field and his bowling is reasonable enough to fill in 5-7 overs, 10 if the conditions suit his off spinners. I don't really rate his medium pacers, especially if he has to bowl under pressure late in the innings. He really needs friendly, swinging conditions to bowl the mediums well. Trouble is, Mike Hussey bowls them nearly as well as Symonds.

But I must say that Symonds is NOT as good as people think he is. Somehow he has this reputation of being a great player and recently more than a couple have said he would be in any World XI. But really his batting is just average to good but fans think it is much better cause he hits a few sixes here and there, much like Adam Gilchrist. Give me Ricky Ponting or Mike Hussey any day.

And his bowling is pretty toothless really - but it does suit ODI cricket pretty well as some players find it hard to go after, like Jayasuriya or Chris Harris. His bowling reputation has enhanced cause he is "so versatile", able to bowl pace and spin, but it doesn't matter how many different types of balls you can bowl if none of them are any good. The only area where he is world class is his fielding, something Bill Lawry will tell us about 1000 times every summer.

So there you have it. My opinion - Watson for Tests, Symonds for ODIs. And my vote goes to Watson, as tests are more important and Watson has the potential to be better at ODIs as well, if he gets his bowling sorted and he gets selected as an opener.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
rickyp said:
at watsons age, symonds was worse, by a long way
Cairns was very similar, Oram was barely in the picture. Freddie turned himself around when he was about 25-26. Kallis was probably at his bowling peak.

rickyp

International Coach
exactly, all rounders tend to do that though as they arent quite as good as batsmen in batting, and they arent quite as good at bowling as bowlers so they take longer to reach a respectable level

woodywiss sa sa

Club Cricketer
Symonds, by far and away,
Watson is a great player at state and county level. He just can't reproduce those stats at international level. Besides that, he's had loads of chances, and not taken any of them.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
angryangy said:
He does have an interesting Steve Waugh type slower ball, but I'm not sure if he bowls both cutters.

With the white balls, most days they only swing for about 5-10 overs. Someone who doesn't bowl before the 10th over obviously isn't going to swing it much. In some of the easier matches, we might see him get a bowl early on and we'll see what happens, I guess.

Yea true just something about him which suggest he won't swing the ball imo.

stereotype

Club Cricketer
i think Symonds is an ordinary 5th bowling option...worse than Watson...but Symonds can make more impact with the bat...i think Watson is a better allrounder but Roy is a better player

rockinaway

School Cricketer
From those 2 I would have to say Symonds. But he has more experience..

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
I'm voting for Watson, from what I've seen his a much better batsman and I know his a better bowler that has improved. He'll be a force in world cricket once he gets to bat up the order.

Users who are viewing this thread