Habibul Bashar hangs up the boots

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Habibul Bashar retires from all forms of the game

Habibul Bashar, the former Bangladesh captain, has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket.

Bashar played fifty Tests for Bangladesh, including their inaugural Test in 2000. He went on to lead the side in 18 Tests, including one victory and four draws. His most memorable moments as captain came in 2005 when Bangladesh stunned Australia in an ODI in Cardiff, and in the 2007 World Cup where his side relegated India to enter the Super Eights.

As a batsman, Bashar massively under-achieved for a man of his talent, often succumbing to a propensity to hook, and finished with a Test average of 30.87. He was dropped from the national side after a protracted run of poor form and headed to the ICL in 2008, where he captained the Dhaka Warriors.

"It has been a terrific journey for me and after two decades of international, first class and cub cricket I feel I have reached the end of the road. The Port City League (PCL) T20 in Sharjah next week will be my last competition as a player," Bashar wrote in his letter to the Bangladesh Cricket Board.

"I thank the BCB for giving me the honour of captaining Bangladesh and for the support throughout my career," Bashar wrote. "I will cherish the memories of my time in the Bangladesh dressing room and my heartfelt gratitude goes out to all the players, coaches, team officials and staff I have had the privilege of knowing and working with.

"As I bid bye I also feel excitement at the way the Bangladesh cricket team is progressing. I wish them every success."

Habibul Bashar retires from all forms of the game

Bangladesh's first test captain, and led them to their best World Cup and best win, Cardiff 2005. Could have been so much better as a batsman, one innings that comes to mind was against the West Indies that 'win' where a number of batsmen played incredibly to help Bangladesh draw the game.

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
*sob* He is going away. :sarcasm . But ya man, he was a great captain (better than Ashraful and Shakib)

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
Habibul Bashar, my favourite Bangladeshi player :)

Read it yesterday itself. Was quite saddened. He's been a great student of the game. And the best from Bangladesh, in my humble opinion.

Hitterman

International Coach
Bashar was one of the best captain at that time overall but his captaincy was ruined by lack of talents at that time in Bangladesh team.

He is a Bangladeshi Legend!

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Bashar was one of the best captain at that time overall but his captaincy was ruined by lack of talents at that time in Bangladesh team.

Yeah! Bangladesh was full of those Alok Kapalis and Shariar Nafees at that time.

Harishan

Club Cricketer
Was always going to happen seeing as his chances of playing for Bangladesh again were very slim.. but nonetheless I have the utmost respect for Bashar, he had good talent with the bat and his captaincy was class. He was a lone fighter in Bangladesh's early years in tests/ODI's and his contributions to the side certainly will not be forgotten.

Users who are viewing this thread