Status
Not open for further replies.

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Some traditionalist still left on this board that love test cricket.

What are your thoughts? Where do you see Test matches figuring in the future? Lets say within 50 yrs from now or a couple decades!

Quick comparison on each Test playing nation indicates the present teams are way weaker than the past decade, exception of Bangladesh. Strong indicator on how the IPL fast food league has destroyed Test cricket.

That being said in Australia and England the feeling and actions are anti-IPL, wont rule out the death of Test cricket yet but certainly I expect some improvement.

My long term prediction is Test Cricket will only be played amongst fewer teams within the next 20 to 35 years. Predicting Australia, England, New Zealand, West Indies. Zimbabwe a possibility but politics would play a major role and South Africa the issue is the large Indian diaspora present and their growing influence on SA cricket. As for the Asian teams, their fans lack the capacity to follow a five day game, they want more of an entertainment than a sport, cant see Test cricket surviving at all.

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
In our first home Test ten years ago, we played Ed Cowan, Rob Quiney, and Ben Hilfenhaus.

Even with Warner being Warner, we're kinda improved.
First home test? Wdym? I think every country bar Afg and Ire played their first home test before 2010.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Oh boy...
Some traditionalist still left on this board that love test cricket.

What are your thoughts? Where do you see Test matches figuring in the future? Lets say within 50 yrs from now or a couple decades!
People have been predicting the death of Test cricket for at least 70 years and it's not died yet. It may be more niche but it will not die
Quick comparison on each Test playing nation indicates the present teams are way weaker than the past decade, exception of Bangladesh.
Easy to prove that this is false. The balance between bat and ball has shifted in places, but several teams (Australia, India, New Zealand for starters) are clearly stronger than in 2012-13.
Strong indicator on how the IPL fast food league has destroyed Test cricket.
It hasn't. It won't.
That being said in Australia and England the feeling actions are anti-IPL, wont rule out the death of Test cricket yet but certainly I expect some improvement.
The ECB and CA aren't anti-IPL at all. This is also unrelated to Test cricket.
My long term prediction is Test Cricket will only be played amongst fewer teams within the next 20 to 35 years.
Naturally; it doesn't make money and unless that changes, Boards will have to make choices. NZC already withdrew their women's team from playing Tests ten years ago for the same reason.
Predicting Australia, England, New Zealand, West Indies.
I can't even begin to dismantle the silliness of this list.
Zimbabwe a possibility but politics would play a major role
They have no money and have gone for several years-long stretches without Tests. They are among the most likely to make a pragmatic decision.
South Africa the issue is the large Indian diaspora present and their growing influence on SA cricket.
No it isn't, the issue is they have no money.
As for the Asian teams, their fans lack the capacity to follow a five day game
Not only false, but also a racist generalisation regardless of whether or not you are of the same or similar ethnic background.
They want more of an entertainment than a sport, cant see Test cricket surviving at all.
Meanwhile Test cricket is more entertaining now than it has ever been.
First home test? Wdym? I think every country bar Afg and Ire played their first home test before 2010.
First of the season.

ddrap14

Shitposter in Chief
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
What I meant was first home Test of the 2012-13 season; I should have been clearer.

Also, yeah, the entire purpose of this thread appears to be dunking on the entirety of Asia and its people, which maybe isn't a smart idea considering aside from a few Brits, Qpee and myself, this section of the forum is entirely comprised of them

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Also, yeah, the entire purpose of this thread appears to be dunking on the entirety of Asia and its people, which maybe isn't a smart idea considering aside from a few Brits, Qpee and myself, this section of the forum is entirely comprised of them
I agree. I'm going to leave the thread open for now though, because there is genuine merit in discussing ways that Test cricket can be strengthened and future-proofed.

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Thanks for the replies guys, honestly was not my intention at all to throw shade at the Asians. I’ll scale back my posting on the subject, however I do think test cricket has been affected by T20 cricket’s popularity, @Aislabie to say otherwise I think is a bit far fetched! Yes I agree its a bit more entertaining now than the last decade, a plus certainly for the longevity of the game.

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
What I meant was first home Test of the 2012-13 season; I should have been clearer.

If you ask some of the Indian posters here which they rather and I’m sure they’ll go with IPL over a Test match.

Test cricket in Pakistan is a difficult one to predict, primarily due to the fact the last 20 years or so little no home series have been played there. I could be in the wrong here but always seem ODI was way more popular in the 90s, early 00s. @CerealKiller @Master Khan would love your takes on this.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
People who say Test cricket has died or will die are the ones who want it to die. I actually feel the opposite and the test series in the last 5-7 years have not only been entertaining, its been the best part of cricket. 169 test series have been played between 2010-2020 and 48 already between 2021-2023 that brings the total to 217 test series. There are so many memorable test series in those which include from an Indian fan's perspective the dreadful whitewash era of Sena countries and the rise of Indian cricket in test matches post that.

People always complain its dying and only Australia or England can save yet those countries have least amount of attendance off late (not due to Test Cricket dying, its due to too much cricket being played generally). In India while I agree the newer generation would love wham bam cricket but there is also positive outlook and excitement for test matches.

Every sport depends on how their team does locally. If your team is doing good, the interest rises, if your team does bad, the interest dies. Things change quickly as one team wont keep dominating the arena for years as evident by Aussies in 2000's, and mid 2010's and India post that. I feel South Africa will rise again once they resolve the monetary issue the country is facing, England look solid for the next 5 years and India has been the best side anyways in the last 5-6 years.

Teams like Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, West Indies will keep having their moments and will competing hard no matter what the situation is and New Zealand will always be the underdog who will keep banging hard.

As far as Afghanistan and IReland are concerned, they ought to be given more chances. They are craving for test matches and have not been given enough and Zimbabwe has played 10 matches in 2 years and 2 month so far and that is not bad given their financial situation.

I do not think test cricket will die. With T20 cricket and ODI's, the format will only involve and become more interesting with things like bazball mindset and going for win compared to playing for draws like previous generations.

I am in full support of utilizing home conditions to full advantage. England should be preparing juicy seaming pitches, Australia hard fast bouncy pitches, Asian countries turn friendly dust bowls and let everyone battle it out and be good.

My 2 cent.

Last edited:

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
@WutUpMahGlipGlops the thing with Afghanistan is they lack infrastructure for test matches. Should not have been given test status, that decision was a much more political one than anything, in my humble opinion.

I’m surprised youre completely writing off the West Indies, they dominated the game for what a couple decades?

New Zealand have always been a strong team at home, wont call them underdogs at all. Very possible they can be a strong outfit and dominate the game for a generation.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
@WutUpMahGlipGlops the thing with Afghanistan is they lack infrastructure for test matches. Should not have been given test status, that decision was a much more political one than anything, in my humble opinion.

I’m surprised youre completely writing off the West Indies, they dominated the game for what a couple decades?

New Zealand have always been a strong team at home, wont call them underdogs at all. Very possible they can be a strong outfit and dominate the game for a generation.
Based on the talent, I do not see West Indies dominating in near future. New Zealand while are strong outfit, they do not have the killer instinct that is needed.

Satan666

International Cricketer
India
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Based on the talent, I do not see West Indies dominating in near future. New Zealand while are strong outfit, they do not have the killer instinct that is needed.
Agreed with you there. In NZ case all they need is a killer captain like Waugh or Ponting or Lloyd and that urge for wins transcends.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Test cricket in Pakistan is a difficult one to predict, primarily due to the fact the last 20 years or so little no home series have been played there. I could be in the wrong here but always seem ODI was way more popular in the 90s, early 00s. @CerealKiller @Master Khan would love your takes on this.
Pakistan the country will become a global economic superpower before the PCB stops playing Test cricket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread