Has The Momentum Now Shifted To South Africa

hawkeye

Club Cricketer
Are the South Africans now favorites to win in Cape Town? Will Johnson be as effective as he was in the first test, or will he be as ineffective as he was in the second? Cape Town should be interesting.

Australia?s triumph in the first test was so overwhelming that anyone who paid little more than scant attention would, understandably, have been convinced that there would be no resurgence by the hosts when the action reached Port Elizabeth. Like England at Brisbane, it was felt that the mental scars inflicted ran much too deep to be thrown off in just a matter of days. Further, the fact that three changes were made to the team that reported for duty at St. George?s Park, one of which was due to a concussion suffered by Ryan McLaren from a Johnson blow to the temple, could not have been helpful to team morale.

No matter what captain Graeme Smith and his players said, the momentum was with the visitors, and we had all seen how ruthless they could be. Australia?s boot was now firmly pressed on South Africa?s neck and chances of them breaking free were slim.

But break free they did. For a while, on the first morning at Port Elizabeth, it seemed that all would remain as it was. Two South African wickets were removed for just 11 runs, and though it was clear that Johnson?s short-pitched attack would be less fruitful, it seemed he could be almost as effective by employing a fuller length as he did at Adelaide during the Ashes. Dean Elgar and Faf du Plessis added over a hundred, however, and showed that Johnson?s sting, highly potent in Centurion and still an irritant, could now be neutralized on a surface lacking in pace and bounce.

The Momentum Now Shifts To South Africa For Cape Town

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Ah, the mythical 'momentum'. I don't really believe in it. I think it's largely an invented term used a little desperately and loosely by experts to describe who is winning when they can't quite put their finger on the true reasons.

Just expanding a little further...I know bad teams often don't have belief in themselves and don't have confidence they can truly win. The opposite of that means that if you are a good team, then you probably think you can win every game and momentum is almost irrelevant. There is another phenomenon where some teams will play BETTER after they have lost as it will motivate them somehow, other teams will lose some confidence after a loss. Maybe your team needs three losses to start losing confidence, any less and they bounce back easily. It's all hypothetical guessing games really, no one knows if the Aussies are rattled or not. I guess we'll find out!

hawkeye

Club Cricketer
Always a pleasure to read your posts Sifter. Happy to hear from someone who thinks deeply about the game.

Users who are viewing this thread