HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray

taimurasad

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray (CNET's quick guide)

DVD is, by some measurements, the greatest success in consumer electronics history. Following its 1997 debut, it took the format just a few years to completely conquer the home-video market previously ruled by VHS tapes. Before it even reaches its 10th birthday, however, the electronics industry and the Hollywood studios are already putting DVD out to pasture. Two rival next-generation formats--Blu-ray and HD-DVD--are scheduled to hit store shelves this spring. Both display movies in full high-definition resolution, addressing one shortfall of the current DVD format, which is only standard-def. But to get that improved visual fidelity, you have to decide to buy either a Blu-ray player or an HD-DVD player--and be willing to live with a list of caveats a mile long. As a result, CNET recommends that you refrain from buying a Blu-ray or an HD-DVD player in the short term. To explain why we're so cautious, we'll take a look at both formats, examine how they compare to one another, and highlight the advantages--and disadvantages--they offer compared to the current generation of DVD.

for more visit:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6463_7-6462511-1.html

This guide from CNET is a must read for all those who are really looking forward to buy one of the next generation media players. I personally will wait for the PS3 to hit stores before going for any of one of these next-gen media players. Post your views on the next-gen war of media formats here, which one are you looking for & why? Let the discussion begin...

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Blu Ray is definitely the way of the future. This HD-DVD could be the last we see of DVDs before we move onto Blu Ray.

siddharth2002

National Board President<br /><a href="showthread.
btw back then it was XXX movies which indirectly decided the winner between Betamax and VHS. This time they are making blue movies on blu-ray:p

taimurasad

Club Cricketer
siddharth2002 said:
btw back then it was XXX movies which indirectly decided the winner between Betamax and VHS. This time they are making blue movies on blu-ray:p

lol :D

----------

As you all know that 1st generation of HD-DVD players are out in America & maybe in Europe too. I just googled more on HD-DVD & found a picture which shows the difference between DVD & HD-DVD. The pic is attached below.
What do guys think of it?

Attachments

• HD-DVD.jpg
    HD-DVD.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 56
  • untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 53

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
actually, the problem with blue ray is that
1. Its going to release later than HD.
2.It has too much capacity for current generation to exploit.
3.HD DVD are easier to manufacture.

Maxkarter

Battrick Tournament Host
There is a quite distinctive lack of quality in what I assume is the pic of a normal DVD in comparison on the HD-DVD. By the time it reaches South African shores all the pros and cons should be well known anyway.

blackleopard92

Panel of Selectors
If u find the difference, u would have been genious.
Too see difference u need a plasma/LCD display.Which i doubt u are using as your monitor:rolleyes:

Maxkarter

Battrick Tournament Host
Cant you see that the one image is alot more blurred than the other one is? You dont even have to look that closely to see the difference between the two images.

taimurasad

Club Cricketer
blackleopard92 said:
I am talking about real diff in watching experience.

You are right to some extend but the same could be said about DVDs too. DVDs when played on Plasma HDTV has much better viewing experience than being played on normal TV's. To me the difference b/w HD-DVD & DVD is surely there but it is not as great or it is not as much as we had b/w VideoCD & DVD some 6-7 yrs back.
As I have already said, I'll wait for PS3 which has Blu-ray playing capabilities to hit stores before making my decision on HD shift.

Hsn

School Cricketer
I think Blu-Ray will win in the long term simply beacuse it offers more space, which allows for more content to be stored.

But I'd rather wait first.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Yes, I see the difference in that the HD-DVD offers more sharper picture than the normal DVD.

Yes I agree with Hsn too. Blu-Ray will be preferred in the long run because of the huge space that it offers. Would be awesome to see a lot of content being stored in a single Blu-ray disc.

I think it should take quite a lot of time for the product to be popular in the market and for the prices to come down drastically. At the current starting price, it would be mighty expensive to buy!

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
I can notice a difference in the pics, I have an LCD monitor, but it's hardly big enough for me to spend ?200 on a new DVD player or anything.

siddharth2002

National Board President<br /><a href="showthread.
In case someone is wondering, there are some high-def divx movie and game trailers available on the net freely and the difference in quality is mind-boggling. Not to mention that the minimum requirement to play a HD-content is Pentium 4 2.4 GHz or a DirectX 9.0 compatible card.

Users who are viewing this thread