Help needed with a DVD drive

viral1991

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Recently, I received FIFA 08's DVD version as a gift. Now, Whenever I insert the DVD into the DVD drive, the drive shows the green light for 10-15 seconds & then goes off. Then, I am unable to view the contents of the DVD, as the computer behaves as if there is no DVD in the drive. The same DVD is working perfectly on my cousin's PC.

Here are my PC's specifications :

Processor Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz
DVD drive Device Name: SONY DVD RW AW-Q170A

I have searched for this problem on the Internet & it seems that this particular DVD drive has problems in reading some DVDs. I couldn't find a solution though. So, can anyone help? :)

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Have you tried upgrading the firmware for the drive (if an update is available)?

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Buy new DVD Drive. Its costs only 1250 these days.

omkarjere

International Cricketer
Recently, I received FIFA 08's DVD version as a gift. Now, Whenever I insert the DVD into the DVD drive, the drive shows the green light for 10-15 seconds & then goes off. Then, I am unable to view the contents of the DVD, as the computer behaves as if there is no DVD in the drive. The same DVD is working perfectly on my cousin's PC.

Here are my PC's specifications :

Processor Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz
DVD drive Device Name: SONY DVD RW AW-Q170A

I have searched for this problem on the Internet & it seems that this particular DVD drive has problems in reading some DVDs. I couldn't find a solution though. So, can anyone help? :)
It might be a problem with the DVD itself. Do other CD/DVD's work ? If no then buy a DVD-Cleaner (costs around Rs.100) which will clean your DVD drive then try using the DVD if any CD/DVD doesn't work after cleaning then you have to buy a new DVD ROM.

viral1991

International Cricketer
Thanks for the replies, everyone. :cheers

It might be a problem with the DVD itself. Do other CD/DVD's work ? If no then buy a DVD-Cleaner (costs around Rs.100) which will clean your DVD drive then try using the DVD if any CD/DVD doesn't work after cleaning then you have to buy a new DVD ROM.

All other CD/DVD's are working perfectly & it can't be a problem of the DVD as it works perfectly on my cousin's PC.

Buy new DVD Drive. Its costs only 1250 these days.

Yes, that' true. But I should first try to make the DVD work in this drive. :)

Have you tried upgrading the firmware for the drive (if an update is available)?

I did try that, but an official patch was not to be found. The website of Sony can't seem to find the model number of my DVD drive too.

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
dude, SONY DVD drives are too sensitive....a slight scratch here
and there and the DVD Drive would soon start constipating :p....

Samsung DVD Drives are even worse ! after a couple of months,
the gear for opening the hatch would get stuck and you literally
have to beat the crap out of the drive to make it open :p.....
other mellow options would be to continuously press the
open/close button or use the good ol "Pin" technique ;)

buy an LG DVD RW...its the best and only around 1300 /- :D

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Thanks for that! I'll be sure to avoid Samsung and Sony when I get my new DVD Drive. Does it make any difference as to the drive's performance if you get an external one?

I have two drives right now, one of which runs all movies on my preferred DVD player (Media Player Classic because you can alter the size of the picture and get rid of black borders), but it's a Sony and - surprise, surprise, it isn't working properly, keeps making this clicking sound (as though something is jammed). My other drive is an AOpen and it runs games fine but when it comes to films, sometimes they work on MPC and sometimes they don't. It seems a completely random thing. I tried updating the firmware - didn't make any difference. Does the LG one you mentioned play all types of DVDs, everything from official releases, to home recordings and on all players, but specifically MPC?

Last edited:

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Lite on were given free with Digit subscription was back. I have never rated things given as free high.

Users who are viewing this thread