Hindi Cinema Discussion

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Ghanchakkar is ordinary. First half is pretty good. Second half is good too, but nowhere close to the first one. The end is bad, surprising and confusing.

Emraan Hashmi has done a fabulous job. Very impressive! Vidya Balan was overacting it seems. The other two supporting actors did a fine job.

On the whole, I liked the movie except for the final 10-15 minutes. Unexpected ends are always encouraged, but this was really not what most people would be expecting considering how the flow of the movie was.

My rating for Ghanchakkar would be 2.5 on 5.

cerande

Club Captain
Ghanchakkar is ordinary. First half is pretty good. Second half is good too, but nowhere close to the first one. The end is bad, surprising and confusing.

Emraan Hashmi has done a fabulous job. Very impressive! Vidya Balan was overacting it seems. The other two supporting actors did a fine job.

On the whole, I liked the movie except for the final 10-15 minutes. Unexpected ends are always encouraged, but this was really not what most people would be expecting considering how the flow of the movie was.

My rating for Ghanchakkar would be 2.5 on 5.

Agree with most of it,except that I would give it a 2 :)

I hate Vidya Balan in general to be honest but I hated her here even more.

Emraan Hashmi's acting is good!

And that ending totally messed up everything.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I am not a big fan of Vidya Balan too. I find her a little over rated. I don't hate her, but I don't like her that much too.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Watched Kai Po Che finally. Wasn't bad. The acting was exceptional and really good for Bollywood standards. The story was very long, but it was kept simple and easy to understand (thank god!!!).

The music was average. But I didn't like the ending. Hoping for a better ending, but that disappointing majorly. They build the film up so well but was hoping for a twist, or something different.

Apart from the ending was a good film, but still only a one-time watch for me.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Watched 'Raanjhanaa'. Extremely well made film! The first 15-20 odd mins were pretty boring stuff, but once the film gets into serious mode, the film just gripped me completely. And the film wouldn't be half what it is, without the performance of Dhanush, Sonam, Dhanush's friend and others. The acting is just first rate. I know Dhanush from Tamil movies, so he didn't surprise me. Dhanush is a mighty substantial actor and he is proving it in Bollywood now too. Hopefully, he proves that more than looks, acting is what counts. Dhanush's Hindi was very wobbly and had the heavy South accent, but the acting more than made up for it. But the surprise packet was Sonam Kapoor. She was excellent for the role. Very restrained and wonderful performance. Abhay Deol did well in the small role he had. Dhanush's friend and the girl who was his one side love, were first rate too.

Its not a complete love story. It has political shades to it. Its more of a drama than the romance genre. But I thought the drama was the best part of it. And the music...... OMG! Rahman is legend! The background score added greatly to the drama. Especially, I loved the use of "Piya Milenge" and "Aise Na Dekho" in the film. Overall, its a film that is worth watching and should definitely lift the likes of Dhanush and Sonam Kapoor in Bollywood. And this is far better work from Anand L Rai than "Tanu Weds Manu".

4.2/5

Params7

International Cricketer
Ranjhanaa was awesome. A lot of meaning and interpretations in this film past its surface content which you don't really get much from Bollywood. Lootera was even more surreal and amazing. Hope Bollywood keeps this up.

las_faiz

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
Canada
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Watched Lootera. Not one of those senseless run of the mill bollywood movies.

One of the best movies to come out this year. I hope it works so we get more of these. Direction was incredible

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Hearing eulogizing (highly praiseworthy) things about 'Bhaag Milkha Bhaag' by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra (the Rang De Basanti hero) and Farhan Akthar. The trailers and the songs have given the film a massive boost. Hope the film is as close to RDB in terms of quality. But a tiny disappointment that Rakeysh couldn't work with Rahman for this film. But nothing to take away from SEL, who have done a wonderful job. 'Zinda' is an awesome track.

Watching the film this weekend for sure! I like Farhan, and am a big fan of Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra. I even liked Delhi-6.

KrishnamurthiN

Club Captain
Saw "Ek Hasina Thi" starring Saif and Urmila.... Excellent acting by Urmila, good movie from Sriram Raghavan!! Awesome stuff :thumbs

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Back after watching "Bhaag Milkha Bhaag". Not upto the standards and entertainment value of the director's masterpiece work "Rang De Basanti", but definitely far better than Delhi 6 and this film is a very good tribute to Milkha Singh and has splendid performance from Farhan Akthar in the title role. The hardwork done by Farhan Akthar for the film is tremendous. He looks every bit the athlete that he plays (what a tremendous body he has achieved, WOW!). And his acting is splendid to say the least! Sonam has a cameo in the film. Divya Dutta as the sister gives a rocking performance. The music and the background score aids the film very well. The climax gives the film a feel good and perfect finish, sending people back home in an elated frame of mind. There are quite a few scenes which pull your heart strings.

Flaws are: The film is too long and stretched at over 3 hrs. Lot of speed breakers which halt the film quite too often. For e.g., the Australian portions with that girl were unnecessary. Sonam's role could have been done without. The film could have been easily trimmed 15-20 mins to make it more engaging.

Overall: This one is a sure one time watch, and makes you proud and curious of the real man, the 'Flying Sikh' Milkha Singh. 4/5

Last edited:

Gurjot95

National Board President
Completely agree with Sai on its flaws. Overall, it's really great movie and pacing is also good. The actors specially Farhan Akhtar has done amazing job. It could have been shorter but I'll blame Bollywood for the romantic parts. They had to put some romance in order to reach wider audience. Songs were unnecessary too but it had to done for a bollywood movie. This is why I haven't watched any Hindi movie in the last year or so. People have to change their mindset and actually start to follow the stories, not romance.

Users who are viewing this thread