How are you doing in your career?

What did you choose for your career player?

• Total voters

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
If the skills are assigned to your player as you progress playin certain shots, I think that's perfect. If you're playing a lot of hooks/pulls well then it should show that in your players skill set. It would be great if when you look at your stats etc it says something like:

STRENGTHS

Plays hook shots
Favours back foot
Leaves ball well

WEAKNESSES

Edges often
Lofts ball often
Appeals too much

Etc, you get my drift, it wouldn't be a good reflection of your player if you can assign the skill points you earn fir playing certain shots well to areas you don't play well.

The_Pharoah

International Coach
More like Warner is an Aus version of McCullum. Been around 7 years longer.

lol true...

----------

If the skills are assigned to your player as you progress playin certain shots, I think that's perfect. If you're playing a lot of hooks/pulls well then it should show that in your players skill set. It would be great if when you look at your stats etc it says something like:

STRENGTHS

Plays hook shots
Favours back foot
Leaves ball well

WEAKNESSES

Edges often
Lofts ball often
Appeals too much

Etc, you get my drift, it wouldn't be a good reflection of your player if you can assign the skill points you earn fir playing certain shots well to areas you don't play well.

thats exactly what I was thinking of. you have to improve your skill in a certain area by practising and actually doing it ingame (when it really matters) eg Warner's switch hit.

Frostyvegi

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
so wait, I have missed something then

Yes, you don't earn skill points. You do earn points that get reflected on a online leaderboard (originally it was money, but I'm sure I've read somewhere that they stopped your score being money and just being a score).

As Pharoah said, you get visual indication of skill improvements (and also negative impact I'd asume) from playing certain shots or doing certain things. Watch the career vid agin and it shows up a number of times.

----------

Problem is, if your player sucks at hitting a hook.. and you can't ever seem to hit the hook as you're not great at it yourself.. you're never gonna be able to imrpove and hit it. In real life you'd work at it in the nets for as long as it takes to get better.

On the other hand, just like in real life, if you have a historical issue of getting out a certain way, it'll probably follow you throughout your career (ala Shane Watson).

LEFF

Club Captain
It would be rather awesome if you could study your opposition before playing to know what player has what weakness and try and capitalize on it!!

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It would be rather awesome if you could study your opposition before playing to know what player has what weakness and try and capitalize on it!!

You have an ability to look at the attributes of a batsman before you bowl/set a field.

NoLeName

PlanetCricket Writing Team
so wait, I have missed something then

so what is the purpose of earning skill points? what are they used for?

so you guys are telling me i need to continue to play an on drive to improve that area, or bowl outswingers to improve that area??

how do i improve footwork, or concentration etc etc.......

----------

its the same the other way, the better you go, the more skill points you got to spend?

also, @bigant has anyone in the office played a sustained career for 20 years yet? whoever that lucky so and so was, how did he or she go?

Yeah, so basically if you play a square cut, you may marginally improve in off-side play. If you play a straight drive, you may marginally improve in front-foot play. I think it goes something like that.

The_Pharoah

International Coach
but just to confirm though...even if you reach the top of your skill level eg. 10/10 or 5 stars out of 5 stars...I'm assuming (and hoping) that there is still an element of probability that you will mishit even on your fav shot. Thats why the batting averages of the best players now are around 50 and not 100 (ala the great Don who must've been a freak at batting) right?

Frostyvegi

Club Captain
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
but just to confirm though...even if you reach the top of your skill level eg. 10/10 or 5 stars out of 5 stars...I'm assuming (and hoping) that there is still an element of probability that you will mishit even on your fav shot.

User imput timing will still play a part, along with good footwork and same with appropriate shot selection. Even then I'm guessing at best you'll still have a 1% chance for something to not come out of the middle of the bat.

madman981

Club Captain
wait, but then we go back to the point someone made early

if your very bad at hook shots, how do you improve if you continually get out playing the hook, how do you get any better or improve it?

I was at the playsession, i seen the +2 front foot shot etc etc, to me that just meant that at the end of the game, or my innings whatever, i achieved say 48 skill points from my play that game as it tallied throughout the game, which then i could assign?

or as you guys are saying, it meant that I actually got +2 to my front foot attribute, which then in my thoughts must be out of 1000, as in the 1st few years in career you would max out those attributes pretty quickly by plauying several front foot shots

just cant wait to see how it all works really, absolutley fu#$en pumped!!

The_Pharoah

International Coach
well its all conjecture at this point based on what we saw on the gameplay videos.

I'm assuming if you're constantly bad at one particular shot, you just need to keep at it ingame to get the skill points. I think the key here is your timing and foot placement (like what Frosti said) - if you get the timing right and foot placement right...you may not hit the ball for 6 or 4...but possibly 1-2 until your 'skill' points for that particular shot increase which then means you hitting the ball in the middle of the bat most times for 3 or 4 or even 6.

I can't wait. I'm fully expecting to get a number of ducks early on as I try fanciful shots :p

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
It's gonna be a challenge that's for sure, even with the nets I try to imagine a set field and assign runs for certain shots instead of just streaks, and if I'm approaching a milestone I get a bit nervous!!

NoLeName

PlanetCricket Writing Team
It's gonna be a challenge that's for sure, even with the nets I try to imagine a set field and assign runs for certain shots instead of just streaks, and if I'm approaching a milestone I get a bit nervous!!

Oh good, so I'm not weird then...

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
ok, i am going to ask a question, in career mode we're told our attirbutes will increase as we go, seems reasonable.

however, the career is from the ages of 16-36 yeah, will we see stats lower in the final years? the physical stats for agility and strength for example to reflect our player getting on a bit? (as a 32 year old man I would fully oppose such an assertion that my best days are behind me but it might be good for a bit of variety)

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Hope so. You'd like to see a peak, plateau, descent pattern whereby it should be easier to increase skill levels in the mid career, say 20-30 with it being difficult to improve too rapidly before 20 and decline in the last 4-5 years.

I would like there to be an element of random chance in your player's ability to skill up too. Say you got a 1/25 chance of being a world class player, 1/15 chance of being a journeyman who would struggle to make or cope with internationals etc... With the renaming circa 90% of players being reasonable to good international pro standard (subject to your own skill to maximise of course) which I appreciate isn't a realistic proportion but means the majority of careers you play you will make international and therefore be more fun

Users who are viewing this thread