How are you doing in your career?

What did you choose for your career player?

• Total voters

ChinamanSpin

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Do you mean the batsman skill level within the nets? So career mode with a very good player would obviously be harder than with a very poor one.
Isn't the whole point of career mode to go from a very poor player to a very good one?

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Sure but that curve is going to be different the first time you play the game and the 50th.
Everyone who starts a career is going to want to play international cricket but not everyone is going to be the same standard. With one difficulty level it will be too hard and inaccessible for some and too easy and boring for others.
I like the system in FIFA where you can change the difficulty at the start of a season and then it's locked.

ChinamanSpin

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
That sounds like a good idea. Although I think you can change the difficulty in FIFA whenever you like. Minor factual issue aside, you're right. I don't think there is a difficult setting from what we've seen so far, but some sort of system where you chose a base difficulty at the start of each season might be good for a future iteration.

Last edited:

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I wonder if there is promotion/relegation in the English first class competition or if the 18 teams have been merged together in one big league.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I have to be honest I don't like the idea of the skill level being arbitrary. you're saying it should be a chance that you're rubbish and a slim chance you're awesome assuming that denying the best levels is going to keep people playing.

what if after I've played it a few times I want to try the life of eeking out runs and scratching around, or being a handy all-rounder, and after the first two seasons I find my guy is carting everyone because I've randomly landed on a bryan lara level player? that's going to suck too.

there's batsmen types isn't there? from the player creation I remember precision, opportunist and what not. surely that's where you pick your type of player and his stats are limited by that. would be a bit silly if you chose "aggressive" and your off side and power were rubbish but you could level your forward defense through the roof.

or maybe the player types thing is an AI mentality thing, I don't know.

but anyway, being dictated to as to how I'm going to play the game sounds like level of realism too far and just annoying.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
You've misunderstood what i am saying. The game has a mechanic that assigns skill points based on the actions the player performs. What i have suggested is merely a mechanism that gives a slight chance of a player picking up those skill points quicker, and a very slight chance of picking them up more slowly, to reflect the different skill levels. Not every young kid makes it.

The human player's ability will still ultimately determine the result.

Also, it would be a dice rolled each time you start a career game, it's not like "sorry, you got disk 10987, all your career players will be crap".

And the skill points are picked up based on the actions you perform, so they're dictating nothing.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
You've misunderstood what i am saying. The game has a mechanic that assigns skill points based on the actions the player performs. What i have suggested is merely a mechanism that gives a slight chance of a player picking up those skill points quicker, and a very slight chance of picking them up more slowly, to reflect the different skill levels. Not every young kid makes it.

The human player's ability will still ultimately determine the result.

Also, it would be a dice rolled each time you start a career game, it's not like "sorry, you got disk 10987, all your career players will be crap".

And the skill points are picked up based on the actions you perform, so they're dictating nothing.

I have a better solution... why not provide an option of selecting the competency of the career player while starting the career mode? There could be 3 to 4 options - "Poor", "Average", "Good" and "Exceptional". A career player created with "Poor" competency level would have a tougher time to enhance skill level and would have a much lower ceiling compared to a career player with 'Exceptional" competency level.

Coversely a career player created with "Exceptional" competency level would have a much better chance of ending his career a la Lara, Kallis or Tendulkar, whereas you will have to play out of your skin for a career player with "Poor" or "Average" competency level to even end up with a career similar to Thorpe or Atherton's. This will add longevity to the game as once you are done replicating legends, you would want to try and play with a lower skilled player and try to make legends out of them and chances are you will fail most of the time.

This approach will allow gamers to decide what they want to do than force it upon them by way of a coin toss.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
there should be a mode where you start in Scottish uni cricket and lose by 150 runs to the other team who decided to have a few beers each in the second innings drinks break.

The only reason why my cricket average is 0... :(

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Yeah that is a "fairer" solution, but i'm a believer in the "let joe public have a choice and they'll misuse it" form of public policy.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
if I understood what Ross has said in the past correctly, the idea also is that the AI adapts to you and how you play, and the difficulty presumably comes from that.

NoLeName

PlanetCricket Writing Team
if I understood what Ross has said in the past correctly, the idea also is that the AI adapts to you and how you play, and the difficulty presumably comes from that.

I have a problem with a system like this. If you're performing poorly, the AI will play easier, meaning you will become better. If you're smashing it, the AI will become harder, meaning you will become worse. Does this mean that no matter what you'll be pushed to have equal stats? I don't want to average 50, or whatever the standardised benchmark is, every time I play a batsman career mode.

Users who are viewing this thread