How do you make tailenders play like tailenders?

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I don't see it as a minor niggle to be honest. I like my cricket gaming to have some reflection on real life, and apart from this it is a superb reflection, but it takes a lot of enjoyment out for me.

nkarthikn78

Club Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Career mode.Ind vs WI.

when i finished my quota of overs,the score was 88/7. see the final score!(181).nearly lost the match!.won with one wicket in hand.
tailenders.jpg

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
I don't find career mode to be such an issue, I'm talking purely about bowling in a competition or custom game. Towards the end, particularly at the slog overs, I regularly see tailenders getting 40,50 off fewer balls.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I don't see it as a minor niggle to be honest. I like my cricket gaming to have some reflection on real life, and apart from this it is a superb reflection, but it takes a lot of enjoyment out for me.

I guess that's where the subjectiveness creeps in. For you tailenders scoring runs is a burning issue, for me nailing perceived randomness while edgin playing to the off side is the highest priority, to someone else ironing out all the online gameplay related bugs should be addressed ASAP. All this will take time and effort and will more likely be addressed in the next iteration. I would love the core gameplay (batting, bowling & fielding mechanism) to be nailed in this iteration before moving on to other things.

Valaskjalf

Club Captain
I think this Dravidesque tailender situation is one of my biggest peeves at the moment. My career player is fast a bowling allrounder (Pro difficulty) and it absolutely demoralising when I send a 155kph bullet aimed at the chin of a no.11 on their first delivery, only to see them pull the ball in front of square for a one-bounce four ala Ricky Ponting in his prime.

Im also at my wits end to whether good quality / tight bowling even has any bearing on dismissals anymore: Yesterday I had a FC game, bowled 26 overs and went for less than 2rpo...great line and length, plays and misses galore (about 3 - 4 per over) but the moment you stray only slightly you get punished by a no.10 or 11. The most frustrating thing is probably when you have a dominating and faultless bowling performance like that, without any luck, only to simulate to your next spell and your AI team mates manage to dismiss the final 6 wickets for 20 runs.

Still hope there's further balancing between edges vs plays and misses - and have those edges feel less random. It appears that building pressure on a batsman has zero effect on whether you dismiss them or not, but it's more a matter that scores are pre-determined before the first ball is bowled and if you're lucky enough to be bowling when the next wicket is due, you are "rewarded".

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue.. It is strange because skill levels appear to have a baring on the batsman's skills until number 10 and 11, who come in and smash it out the park. It's all very strange. I'd love some clarification as to what baring these skills actually have when you are coming in to bowl at someone. When the game is simmed it seems the tailenders go back to playing like they should

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I guess that's where the subjectiveness creeps in. For you tailenders scoring runs is a burning issue, for me nailing perceived randomness while edgin playing to the off side is the highest priority, to someone else ironing out all the online gameplay related bugs should be addressed ASAP..

Agreed as I hardly ever edge playing offside shots, and this is on Legend level

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Agreed as I hardly ever edge playing offside shots, and this is on Legend level

Zim, do share some tips and maybe a couple of videos of you batting. This calls for another :bow down: smiley and wish my suggestion for the same would have been heeded by now :D

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Lol, its been a couple of weeks, prolly be rubbish :p

I guess I have good timing of the ball? Only reason I went to Legend from my usual Veteran level was that I was finding it difficult to edge any delivery. My problem is not usually timing but shot selection, especially against quicks obviously

Edit - this is non career stuff btw, so playing with fairly skilled batsmen. I am sure if I played career as a 16 year old the edges would be there a plenty

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Lol, its been a couple of weeks, prolly be rubbish :p

I guess I have good timing of the ball? Only reason I went to Legend from my usual Veteran level was that I was finding it difficult to edge any delivery. My problem is not usually timing but shot selection, especially against quicks obviously

Edit - this is non career stuff btw, so playing with fairly skilled batsmen. I am sure if I played career as a 16 year old the edges would be there a plenty

Ah ok. Most of the time I spend is in career mode and that's where I get all those edges.

Users who are viewing this thread