Customising game modes and making the AI competitive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blinder

Banned
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi I've been watching this forum and playing the game for a while and would like to discuss creating custom game modes and tweaking settings to get competitive AI.

I find the game much more enjoyable making custom competitions like the IPL. Best thing about these modes is the ability to change the AI difficulty anytime you want. For example, in Tests I bat on Pro, then I turn the difficulty up to Legendary when bowling. AI tends to be quite competitive, and doesn't seem to collapse in a heap as much when batting. Also, I switch on semi-assisted fielding which helps on reducing the the AI suicide runs for some reason.

If you look at any type of sports game, they are usually played condensed. Like you would never play 45 minute halves in FIFA - cos the score would probably end up at 30-25 or something. Why are there different expectations with cricket games?

In longer formats like four day games and tests, I have changed my overs per day to 50 to shorten things up a bit, then do the same thing adjusting the difficulty when batting and bowling and get decent results.

I find on Pro and Veteran the AI is particularly prone to middle order collapses. On legend, the AI batting is very good, if anything they are too hard to dismiss. In test matches that is. And the middle order makes runs. Has anyone noticed anything like this.

Also, I find the T10 a good format to condense T20 matches when played on Veteran. To reduce the effect of the superhuman fielders being able to get to most balls lofted in the outfield I have restricted myself to having only 3 outfielders outside the circle.

I'm going to try 25 over one day matches with the same field restrictions in place - will try batting on Pro for batting to last the overs, and bowling to the AI on legend so they don't have their huge collapses.

Has anyone else looked at customising game modes and rules (eg: field restrictions?)

adikal

Club Captain
I'm going to try 25 over one day matches with the same field restrictions in place - will try batting on Pro for batting to last the overs, and bowling to the AI on legend so they don't have their huge collapses.

Any update on this? Does the AI bat with better match awareness on the legend mode in the shorter formats? That would be very impressive if it were true as I've yet to see a cricket game that does good AI pacing based on the match situation.

Blinder

Banned
Am yet to try a full length reduced 25 over a side one day match. Literally had to bring DBC14 to work and leave it in my draw overnight as it has ruined by sleep patterns.

As for AI batting on Legend AI: I've had some interesting experiences. In tests matches/4 day matches it seems very realistic. Tough to dismiss, can easily bat through a day. Perhaps too tough - the loss of fast bowler stamina means they become pretty much ineffective against them. For shortened formats, the AI are harder to dismiss but they bat at the same or even a slightly reduced run rate than the other difficulties. That's why I don't bowl to them on legend for T10 matches. I instead bowl to them on veteran. Although they might lose 5/6 wickets in 10 overs (bearing in mind my own field restrictions allowing only 3 men outside the circle), they tend to post a more competitive total. And the stats for comps are more realistic as my bowlers can actually take wickets.

Anyone got anything to share with tinkering customised formats? I'm really interested to see what others have tested.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
In longer formats like four day games and tests, I have changed my overs per day to 50 to shorten things up a bit

Good idea, never thought of doing that. I'd probably prefer 60 overs though with three 20 over sessions.

Scrogs

Banned
Any updates Blinder? Or are you banned? Customising games so as to alter batting A/I and run rates sounds interesting.

inertSpark

Associate Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
He's indeed banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread