Test Matches in DBC 14

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Opening a thread on Test matches so folks can share their experience in the longer formats of the game. Most people would would play Test matches, odis and T20 in the game and I'm hoping there would be separate threads for each of the main format so it's easy to track experience or issues with AI for each main format separately. If DBC 14 AI can be competitive for these main formats, I would say it would be a huge plus even if the AI has issues with other formats such as T10 or 3 day matches.

After playing Tests on PRO difficulty and bowling one innings on Veteran, I decided to play a Test on Legend to see whether AI acts differently at the highest difficulty or the issues persist. I started a Test (casual) between India Current Generation (me) and Australia Current Generation at Adelaide Gardens. Australia won the toss and elected to bat and are currently 217/4 off 60 overs with 3 dropped catches - none of them easy. First one was a fast low chance at cover, second one was a caught & bowled where I barely had time to react and the third one was against a sharp low chance to the right of mid on.

My observations so far...

1. AI still plays loose shots and hits the ball too much in the air but on Legend at least they hit the ball in gaps instead of picking out fielders in the deep.

2. Fielders seem to be a bit slow on Legend. Maybe that's why you would want to go to manual fielding and press R2 for sprint instead of using semi-assist option which is what I'm currently using. There were plenty of lofted shots I thought I would be able to catch but my fielders never got to them and seemed to be jogging to the ball.

3. Medium bowlers seem to be fairly useless and spinners are the most effective with Fast & Fast-Medium somewhere in between.

4. Out of 4 wkts which fell so far, spinners took 3 wkts (one edged cut shot to keeper and 2 caught in the outfield) and one was taken by a Fast-Medium bowler off a beautiful outswinger which AI edged to the keeper. The umpire didn't give it and I had to challenge the decision to get the call in my favor.

5. Lunch was taken after 27 overs and Tea after 54 overs, so let's see if I bowl 90 overs in a day or less.

Bowling on Legend definitely has been the best experience so far but AI needs to learn to keep the ball on the carpet. If AI batting can be patched, along with fatigue for pacers so they don't lose pace in a few overs, it would be fun to play Tests on higher difficulty levels.

Update 1: I was able to get Aussies out for 354 in 1st innings off 101.4 overs with left arm spinner taking 5 wkts and a fast medium bowler 2. There was one runout due to the "dive and stand around" bug, and the 1st day ended after 83 overs. When I batted I managed to score 159 and at least avoided the follow on. 2 batsmen, including my highest scorer, were run out - one when I edged the ball and pressed 'O' to make sure batsman is safe but the batsman instead went out of the crease and was run out. Another run out was due to a direct hit from the boundary. I lost 3 wkts to catches down the leg side and that's one shot I have no idea how to control or place. I try to play a drive to mid wkt or widish mid on and the batsman ends up playing it to fine leg and generally in the air.

Update 2: Unfortunately I can't continue the match any further as I had to delete the saved Test. There's a bug about resuming matches created prior to the patch and I have mentioned the issue in the "Issues and Anomalies post Patch 1" thread.

Last edited:

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
How would you manage to bat on Legend? I can't still bat on Pro. As long as I don't get quick enough to judge the foot movement (front/back), I will continue to struggle, it seems. I would love to know how you handle it Cricket_online.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
How would you manage to bat on Legend? I can't still bat on Pro. As long as I don't get quick enough to judge the foot movement (front/back), I will continue to struggle, it seems. I would love to know how you handle it Cricket_online.

You must have reflexes like a ninja to play on legend :)

Not really as my update testifies :p I was trying to see how the AI bats at Legend difficulty level, and also to get used to bowling without the bowling meters.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Not really as my update testifies :p I was trying to see how the AI bats at Legend difficulty level, and also to get used to bowling without the bowling meters.

Mate have you changed all batsmen to conservative or precise, found that it made a huge difference!!

phil1987

Club Captain
Mate have you changed all batsmen to conservative or precise, found that it made a huge difference!!

Does this affect the way cpu bat noticeably?

def going to give it a crack and see how it plays out.

Wealey

ICC Board Member

Well i started two tests yesterday India v Sri Lanka

First one they were going at 8-10 an over with top 3 launching anything off line.

So thought sod this went and looked at mentality and they were all set to aggressive. Changed hole teams mentality and started again. They scored 378 All Out at 3.3 an over and at one point were only 88-2 after 30 overs at lunch

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors

Hopefully not too often

;)

happy-ba-dum-tss-l.png

fanirama

Associate Cricketer
I played one entire match on Pro. Ind v Eng.

score:
Eng 124/10
Ind 99/10
Eng 150/10
Ind 56/10

I lost because of the stupid runouts as players kept walking even when throw came in, hitting too much uppish even when doing regular shots, ai taking insane impossible catches.

The game was enjoyable though, esp getting wickets like lbw (one through challenge), caught behind etc.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

Thing is you shouldn't have to do that - BA should really ensure AI batsman playing according to the match type. The batmans type should influence shot selection yes, but still be dependant on match type.

What you are doing is what we have always done and have to tweak settings per match type to get a 'realistic' experience

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Thing is you shouldn't have to do that - BA should really ensure AI batsman playing according to the match type. The batmans type should influence shot selection yes, but still be dependant on match type.

What you are doing is what we have always done and have to tweak settings per match type to get a 'realistic' experience

Get what your saying, if you bowl well they still block and leave etc its just that the margins of good and bad ball are so small they dispatch anything thats not good!

cricket_online

ICC Board Member

Nope. I've played all the matches with out of the box "Get Best" teams. Will start a new Test match soon and batting should be easier with the patch.

DeadShot

Club Captain
Played test against newzeland. AI went crazy, hit more lofted shots and gets out in the process. They managed to score only 113 and got all out immediately after lunch.

Users who are viewing this thread