How long did it take you to get good at batting?

Smudger

School Cricketer
Honestly, can anyone actually play either front or back AFTER the ball has left bowlers hand on pro with quickies? In the nets I think I'm nearly there, then go back for full ball or forward to bouncer!! Need to groove the move more, but in career I just don't see how there's time, so I end up planting front foot and hope its not really short. I don't score runs but rarely get out (no, there are so many other ways to get out though!!) Only had the game a week, wish I'd bought it sooner, and love it. But batting is definitely a challenge. Maybe they need a "giffers" setting that is about 1/10sec slower for those of us well past their prime!!! Thought I was doing well last night, got into 40's before playing round a straight one..since then I've had 4 ducks, about 4 innings in single figures and only one above 10 (that was 26 off 52 deliveries!! Learnt from Boycott!!). Back to the nets then!!!!

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Honestly, can anyone actually play either front or back AFTER the ball has left bowlers hand on pro with quickies? In the nets I think I'm nearly there, then go back for full ball or forward to bouncer!! Need to groove the move more, but in career I just don't see how there's time, so I end up planting front foot and hope its not really short. I don't score runs but rarely get out (no, there are so many other ways to get out though!!) Only had the game a week, wish I'd bought it sooner, and love it. But batting is definitely a challenge. Maybe they need a "giffers" setting that is about 1/10sec slower for those of us well past their prime!!! Thought I was doing well last night, got into 40's before playing round a straight one..since then I've had 4 ducks, about 4 innings in single figures and only one above 10 (that was 26 off 52 deliveries!! Learnt from Boycott!!). Back to the nets then!!!!

You will need to premeditate while batting. For the majority of us there's not enough time to judge line & length and then play appropriate shot by selecting footwork and shot. Suggestions have already been made to show the line, and at the very least length, earlier (maybe just as the bowler is about to bowl) so users have enough time to react.

Smudger

School Cricketer
My main issue at the moment (apart from playing on or off, which shot, etc) is that the quicks seem to be bowling 4 or 5 short in an over, some can be played off the front foot some not. I get sucked into looking for the red reticule and then "twitch" back to a Yorker!! Think its a learning curve as a couple of days ago I couldn't get near a short ball. If I had this down after 5 days I would stop playing as I did with all the EA cricket games. Just finished my first season, I think the extra maturity I'll have as a 17 yo will make all the difference. Back to the nets then!!

ntrav

School Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
My main issue at the moment (apart from playing on or off, which shot, etc) is that the quicks seem to be bowling 4 or 5 short in an over, some can be played off the front foot some not. I get sucked into looking for the red reticule and then "twitch" back to a Yorker!! Think its a learning curve as a couple of days ago I couldn't get near a short ball. If I had this down after 5 days I would stop playing as I did with all the EA cricket games. Just finished my first season, I think the extra maturity I'll have as a 17 yo will make all the difference. Back to the nets then!!

This^^^ Happens to me ALL the time! And I hate myself for falling into the trap every time it happens! :facepalm

grkrama

National Board President
best is to turn off the reticule hud and just leave the ball trail on play it by seeing , it gives you extra moments to time the ball well as well as read it correctly instead of watching the color and decoding it and then playing it, watching the ball and playing it gives you precious extra time and feels natural.

ntrav

School Cricketer
best is to turn off the reticule hud and just leave the ball trail on play it by seeing , it gives you extra moments to time the ball well as well as read it correctly instead of watching the color and decoding it and then playing it, watching the ball and playing it gives you precious extra time and feels natural.

I play broadcast cam so I think I'd find it very hard to pick up the length if I turned it off.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
ok well the game is meant ot be played behind batsman view give it a go some time you will enjoy it

I just tried turning the reticule off, I was very sceptical because I doubted the ability to get the depth perception required to pick up the length quickly. it's actually fine, and I might even slightly prefer it - need to play with it off a bit more.

grkrama

National Board President
ya it takes a couple of times to make the change but once you get used to its really batter.

Krokenoster

Club Captain
mmm, not something I have considered yet. Might give it a go myself. Especially since my colour blindness sees no difference between full and good length balls. lol. I just watch for bright(Full or good length), or dark(Short, red for you guys). hahaha

ntrav

School Cricketer
ok well the game is meant ot be played behind batsman view give it a go some time you will enjoy it

I prefer it from broadcast. Especially considering the game is set out like you're watching a broadcast. I've played with the default camera and don't enjoy it as much thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread